Sponsored

Lets see where you put your cell phones

JEEF

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon; 2008 Audi S5; 1977 Chevrolet Blazer; 1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville; 1999 Chevrolet Silverado; 2017 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe; 2013 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo; 2001 Honda XR650R;
I wish people would stop perpetuating the myth that the slot between the cup holders is for the key fob. LOL

Just because the fob is approximately the same size and shape as the slot, doesn't mean that's what it's for.

There's also a hole in the fob for a key ring for other keys. Does anybody actually put the fob in that slot with all their other keys rattling around on the console? LOL

The slot is for a cell phone. Period.

You're supposed to leave the fob in your pocket/purse.

It's a compact and clever design that allows you to use the two cup holders and cell phone holder simultaneously and independently.

The notch at the bottom is so you can have it plugged in with the phone upright if you so choose. Not that you can really see the screen down there, but that's what CarPlay/AndroidAuto is for.

They put a lot of thought into the design of the JL. The designers know that everyone has a smartphone nowadays and the form factor of those smartphones hasn't changed in 15 years and probably won't for for the foreseeable future.

I'm not mad,
This is just a Public Service Announcement because there's probably a lot of JL owners out there that read posts saying it's for the key fob and then spend time and money on sometimes silly "solutions" and some even going as far as putting wood screws into the dash to mount some Amazon garbage to their expensive Jeep when there's an elegant solution already built in.

I understand that some people know what they're doing and use certain GPS/Offraod apps/Etc. and want the phone mounted to next to the uConnect screen and have nice RAM, or 67 Designs mounts and these comments aren't for those people. They know what they're doing.
This is to hopefully help the people that are just trying to see what other people are doing with their phones because a Jeep has a pretty cramped cabin and it's not readily apparent what that slot is for.

I hope this helps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lets see where you put your cell phones IMG_6492
Sponsored

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I wish people would stop perpetuating the myth that the slot between the cup holders is for the key fob. LOL

Just because the fob is approximately the same size and shape as the slot, doesn't mean that's what it's for.

There's also a hole in the fob for a key ring for other keys. Does anybody actually put the fob in that slot with all their other keys rattling around on the console? LOL

It's a compact and clever design that allows you to use the two cup holders and cell phone holder simultaneously and independently.

The notch at the bottom is so you can have it plugged in with the phone upright if you so choose. Not that you can really see the screen down there, but that's what CarPlay/AndroidAuto is for.

They put a lot of thought into the design of the JL. The designers know that everyone has a smartphone nowadays and the form factor of those smartphones hasn't changed in 15 years and probably won't for for the foreseeable future.

I'm not mad,
This is just a Public Service Announcement because there's probably a lot of JL owners out there that read posts saying it's for the key fob and then spend time and money on sometimes silly "solutions" and some even going as far as putting wood screws into the dash to mount some Amazon garbage to their expensive Jeep when there's an elegant solution already built in.

I understand that some people know what they're doing and use certain GPS/Offraod apps/Etc. and want the phone mounted to next to the uConnect screen and have nice RAM, or 67 Designs mounts and these comments aren't for those people. They know what they're doing.
This is to hopefully help the people that are just trying to see what other people are doing with their phones because a Jeep has a pretty cramped cabin and it's not readily apparent what that slot is for.

I hope this helps.

Exactly how I use That space.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
I have a lowly sport with essentially zero features.
My phone fits perfectly in the crevice that is created in place of the sway bar disconnect switch and the aux switches. I just have a big gap there.

I also don't have window switches, so I have a hole there too...Still haven't found anything to put there yet though.

I figure if I ever acquire a duck I'll shove it in there or something.

U EEDIOT

First Name
Scott!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2006 Trailblazer SS
Occupation
Did my time. https://youtu.be/mj1dd0Kcq8A?si=h8gOFKS0rg7hysV6

Sponsored

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT

Budno8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport

I'm not mad,

I hope this helps.

Agree with this.

Pipila

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner

Not period for me.
My pocket is for my cell phone.

The console slot fits the garage door opener perfectly.
And, I have an AAWireless adaptor in the center console connected to the USB port which links my phone wireless to the dashboard head end unit.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide

I'm not mad,

I hope this helps.

It’s clearly printed in the owners manual that the slot IS for the key fob.

XYJGuy

First Name
SG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 430i, Acura MDX, 2 Hyundai Tuscons, JL Willys
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Gibson leather works. Quality product, simple
and very functional. I ran the cable out from the center console along side the drivers seat.
This looks great. The Gibson leatherworks website says all orders suspended until 24. Does anyone know why?

Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
My fob is most always in my bag and my phone is always plugged in and sitting in the cup holder or the slot between the cup holders.

ArthurH

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
Best mount I’ve had

BB58D6E4-FEC0-462A-8952-997467D31BCB.jpeg
Sponsored