Sponsored

Lets see those sexy 2drs (pictures zone)

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
You can tell Im a hard core wheeler because my photo is in my driveway
Jeep Wrangler JL Lets see those sexy 2drs (pictures zone) 67B30A2E-2F61-4E1A-ACFB-FF7E72F1D0C1
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
It’s definitely pricey but totally worth it in my opinion especially with the lack of space if we want to go camping we have a roof box or net we can throw on top of the rack! We have the quick release and it’s super simple to release the top of the rack back and pull down the top! Easier with two people but I can do it by myself if need be.
What’s the most weight you put up there? Seems like with the soft top and not being able to use the uppers supports like with the hardtop it wouldn’t be very sturdy.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

hbanghart24

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Manual
What’s the most weight you put up there? Seems like with the soft top and not being able to use the uppers supports like with the hardtop it wouldn’t be very sturdy.
You would be surprised since the main connections are to the actual frame so I honestly don't think those upper supports really do much. We've loaded up a pretty large Yakima box and have also put a fully loaded cooler and camping gear on it. MPG will be terrible but it's been very sturdy and have had no issues. Here are a few pics of the those set-ups we've done. Gobi website says 800 lbs static weight can be supported by the rack. We haven't tested it that much but probably have had over 100 lbs up there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lets see those sexy 2drs (pictures zone) IMG-5198
Jeep Wrangler JL Lets see those sexy 2drs (pictures zone) IMG-8571
Jeep Wrangler JL Lets see those sexy 2drs (pictures zone) IMG-8572

Sponsored

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
You would be surprised since the main connections are to the actual frame so I honestly don't think those upper supports really do much. We've loaded up a pretty large Yakima box and have also put a fully loaded cooler and camping gear on it. MPG will be terrible but it's been very sturdy and have had no issues. Here are a few pics of the those set-ups we've done. Gobi website says 800 lbs static weight can be supported by the rack. We haven't tested it that much but probably have had over 100 lbs up there.
Love the rack. How much did it run you OTD and do you have both ladders on each side or just one?

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I guess I'm still concerned about the videos from Casey 250; posted about it here. I still need to return a phone call to Weston Miller from Gobi who was going to discus some of my concerns. Mostly with weight limits when used with soft top, something that isn't really listed on their website or install instructions. But does clearly states the use with heavy loads, to use upper stabilizers (something that can't be done with a soft top). But it doesn't state where that criteria is determined... Just starting to second guess myself on dropping $2,500 and possibly regretting it.

EDIT: Plus I found these, lot cheaper and feel are probably stronger (while being simpler). I could probably also buy a hard top, with another attached system for heavy loads and staying dry when traveling and yank the hardtop off when home for not much more then the Gobi.
ck-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-installed-red-zoom_0.jpg

4f8e30e4-9302-4371-acee-59bbfa4855f3-jpeg.jpg

20200111_084521-jpg.jpg

hbanghart24

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the rack. How much did it run you OTD and do you have both ladders on each side or just one?
We love the rack especially with very minimal storage in the 2 dr. It was 1795 for the rack and three of us did the install ourselves. I had a ladder on the left side but found it kind of useless and it made it hard to take the windows off so we took off the ladder.

hbanghart24

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I'm still concerned about the videos from Casey 250; posted about it here. I still need to return a phone call to Weston Miller from Gobi who was going to discus some of my concerns. Mostly with weight limits when used with soft top, something that isn't really listed on their website or install instructions. But does clearly states the use with heavy loads, to use upper stabilizers (something that can't be done with a soft top). But it doesn't state where that criteria is determined... Just starting to second guess myself on dropping $2,500 and possibly regretting it.

EDIT: Plus I found these, lot cheaper and feel are probably stronger (while being simpler). I could probably also buy a hard top, with another attached system for heavy loads and staying dry when traveling and yank the hardtop off when home for not much more then the Gobi.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lets see those sexy 2drs (pictures zone) 20200111_084521-

Makes sense to have concerns and I’m sure they’re valid. I looked at the exposed racks as well but not being able to run them with the soft top down is why I decided against them. I ended up paying 1795 for the Gobi and we did the install ourselves. I would love to also have a hardtop at some point but hadn’t seen a lot of aftermarket options for the hardtop yet and the Jeep ones are super pricey. On my list eventually! I’m sure whatever you choose will best suit your needs! :)

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Makes sense to have concerns and I’m sure they’re valid. I looked at the exposed racks as well but not being able to run them with the soft top down is why I decided against them. I ended up paying 1795 for the Gobi and we did the install ourselves. I would love to also have a hardtop at some point but hadn’t seen a lot of aftermarket options for the hardtop yet and the Jeep ones are super pricey. On my list eventually! I’m sure whatever you choose will best suit your needs! :)
Well I did order the rack a month ago, with the options I elected for came out to $2,500 and I don't think I hit very many options (don't recall). Personally, I think there's going to be issues with the Road Armor rear bumper I had delivered (need to install it next week) and is something I am supposed to talk with Weston about. I may end up canceling the order. If I do, I will look for other options for my camping setup and get the exposed under soft top rack for use in a pinch (when need to carry something long, I will have that option).
Sponsored