Let's see those JL's rockin Half Doors! 2 & 4 doors

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Anyone have a picture of the upper windows for the half doors?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I really dont see what the big deal is with half doors... I had them on my 2 YJs and always wished I had full doors. I remember having to unzip the uppers or driving further to open the door at drivethroughs and it annoyed the crap out of me. When I wanted to enjoy the open air, I'd take the door off, just like the full doors guys do anyway. I by far preferred my Bestop 2 piece soft doors on my TJs. I'd never drive with the lower parts only, and they were easy to store in the back of the Jeep.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I really dont see what the big deal is with half doors... I had them on my 2 YJs and always wished I had full doors. I remember having to unzip the uppers or driving further to open the door at drivethroughs and it annoyed the crap out of me. When I wanted to enjoy the open air, I'd take the door off, just like the full doors guys do anyway. I by far preferred my Bestop 2 piece soft doors on my TJs. I'd never drive with the lower parts only, and they were easy to store in the back of the Jeep.
For me, I don't feel as cramped with them vs full doors, but the wind is more controlled (at speed) vs no doors, it's a great balance... and they look cool! You've gotta admit it's a much less gaudy accessory than many things people buy for their Jeeps just for looks.

Edit: I agree with what you're saying though, I wouldn't run them if I needed to have the uppers on regularly.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
For me, I don't feel as cramped with them vs full doors, but the wind is more controlled (at speed) vs no doors, it's a great balance... and they look cool! You've gotta admit it's a much less gaudy accessory than many things people buy for their Jeeps just for looks.
Might be because I lived with them for 10 years from 87 to 97, have been there done that… I guess💁🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Might be because I lived with them for 10 years from 87 to 97, have been there done that… I guess💁🏼‍♂️
There is probably a fair bit of novelty I'm sure; I do love them for what they are (a fair weather door, like a tube door, etc). I suppose there's no one size fits all. I wanted to love the soft top, but it was just more hassle than it was worth for me. Some folks swear by the soft top - including the gal who sold me her hard top! Different strokes and all.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
There is probably a fair bit of novelty I'm sure; I do love them for what they are (a fair weather door, like a tube door, etc). I suppose there's no one size fits all. I wanted to love the soft top, but it was just more hassle than it was worth for me. Some folks swear by the soft top - including the gal who sold me her hard top! Different strokes and all.
Totally right, My YJs were both half doors, soft tops only, then my TJ, I had both tops plus Bestop soft doors, bikini top, tonneau cover and wind jammer.... then JKUR which had both tops, but installed the soft top one summer, solely to make sure I had all the parts for when I would sell or trade and I hated how the top completely robbed the rear view when down (unlike the previous models), and now the JLU, for which I only got the hard top and only took the freedom panels off a handful of times to please my wife.

So I guess I've had my share of colds, tonsillitis and sunburns... And back in the 80's-90's, the sun wasn't the microwave that it is now... So I guess my ''been there, done that'' statement is spot-on. Still love driving a Jeep tho :)

The only thing I miss and might correct, is the Bestop doors. Nothing like driving doors off to me ;)

Hope your half doors meet your expectations.

OP
OP
DevilDogJeeper

DevilDogJeeper

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
For me, I like being able to take a drive and drop the top and door uppers and be semi-doorless. I've been to a lot of places where I have no place to leave my doors or hardtop and making a 3 hour trip without doors has left me caught in rainstorms a few times.

Plus, half doors look badass!