Sponsored

Let's see those 2-Door JL pics!

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
After over 20 years a corvette guy I went to a 2 door sport. Something about 4 season, any road condition with decent performance driving just made sense. I also had a long-term bucket list wrangler thing going since the mid 70s as a teenager and spending a summer with my friend in his dad's new yellow CJ5. Just spent the week getting my Jl 2 door closer to my vision.
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's see those 2-Door  JL pics! Sept 20 Jeep 100_5074.JPG

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - Granite Crystal
Clubs

what rack is this? Looking for a solution that works well without the top on. Thanks
I used Yakima landing pads and Yakima crossbars. I drilled and tapped the roll bar to permanently mount the landing pads. They don’t interfere with the hardtop when I have it on. I have the Yakima rails and landing pads on the hardtop also, and use the same crossbars when the hardtop is on.

22445801-9F17-4D51-BB51-CF4C1B15A7D6.jpeg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I used Yakima landing pads and Yakima crossbars. I drilled and tapped the roll bar to permanently mount the landing pads. They don’t interfere with the hardtop when I have it on. I have the Yakima rails and landing pads on the hardtop also, and use the same crossbars when the hardtop is on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's see those 2-Door  JL pics! 22445801-9F17-4D51-BB51-CF4C1B15A7D6
I'm going to have to look that up. I'd feel more comfortable if the drip edge wasn't the only support and It would be nice to have a rack when the top is off. :beer:

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - Granite Crystal
Clubs

I'm going to have to look that up. I'd feel more comfortable if the drip edge wasn't the only support and It would be nice to have a rack when the top is off. :beer:
Some more pics

20200906_105051.jpg

20200906_105134.jpg

20200906_105041.jpg

20200906_105106.jpg

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
questions about your rack. i see where you mounted it and wanted to know how your load holds up on the front end. what i mean is, is there too much weight overhanging off the front bars. also the way the rear mount is mounted. is that an ideal place for the mount to be mounted that close to the end of the gutter.. basically what i'm trying to figure out is, if i set up the rack the same way that you have. will it handle the 13ft 58lbs kayak that i have. the other thing is if i mount the front rack on the freedom panels, will it screw up or damage the seal, etc. i'm not worried about not able to take the panels off with the rack on. also what rack do you have.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
questions about your rack. i see where you mounted it and wanted to know how your load holds up on the front end. what i mean is, is there too much weight overhanging off the front bars. also the way the rear mount is mounted. is that an ideal place for the mount to be mounted that close to the end of the gutter.. basically what i'm trying to figure out is, if i set up the rack the same way that you have. will it handle the 13ft 58lbs kayak that i have. the other thing is if i mount the front rack on the freedom panels, will it screw up or damage the seal, etc. i'm not worried about not able to take the panels off with the rack on. also what rack do you have.
The rack I have is the Yakima 1a Gutter Mount with 58" round bars. I bought it on Craigslist for less than half the price of a new one. It came with the locks also. The rack only carries my fishing rods so there is no heavy weight on the roof. I went with the Yakima because the actual fishing rod rack that attaches to the round bars is set up for the Yakima system. The rack probably weighs more than the rods. Some of my surf rods are 11 foot one-piece rods so they will not fit in the Jeep obviously. I did not want to mount the front on the freedom panels, I am sure that the light load I carry would not be a problem but I just didn't want to mount on the front. I haven't taken the freedom panels off with the rack yet, I assume it would be pretty noisy. I am waiting for a wind fairing to make it more streamlined and cut down on some of the wind noise. Had one on the way but FedEx managed to make it a 2 piece and Yakima is out of stock. The rack is supposed to handle about 165 pounds but I am not sure how strong the gutters are on the Jeep. I would contact Yakima customer service, I have had excellent responses to questions I have asked. I am sure they have had questions about Jeep and kayaks. Thule and Mopar also make gutter mount racks. You could ask the forum members, there should be some with kayaks that could help with your question. Sorry I really can't help with your particular need, my situation was fairly simple.

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Looking for some photos of white 2-door Rubicons, preferrably with 35's & white fenders. Looking for something straight on from the side, with a simple background. Going to use it with some Photoshop to model out some wheel choices. Thanks.
well 2 out of 3 of your requests....2-door white rubicon on 35's no lift and black fenders

20200809_174245 (1).jpg

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
The rack I have is the Yakima 1a Gutter Mount with 58" round bars. I bought it on Craigslist for less than half the price of a new one. It came with the locks also. The rack only carries my fishing rods so there is no heavy weight on the roof. I went with the Yakima because the actual fishing rod rack that attaches to the round bars is set up for the Yakima system. The rack probably weighs more than the rods. Some of my surf rods are 11 foot one-piece rods so they will not fit in the Jeep obviously. I did not want to mount the front on the freedom panels, I am sure that the light load I carry would not be a problem but I just didn't want to mount on the front. I haven't taken the freedom panels off with the rack yet, I assume it would be pretty noisy. I am waiting for a wind fairing to make it more streamlined and cut down on some of the wind noise. Had one on the way but FedEx managed to make it a 2 piece and Yakima is out of stock. The rack is supposed to handle about 165 pounds but I am not sure how strong the gutters are on the Jeep. I would contact Yakima customer service, I have had excellent responses to questions I have asked. I am sure they have had questions about Jeep and kayaks. Thule and Mopar also make gutter mount racks. You could ask the forum members, there should be some with kayaks that could help with your question. Sorry I really can't help with your particular need, my situation was fairly simple.
i had a yakima rack on my other vehicle, so, i know the quality of the rack and would get another one. however, its a little price just for a few time usage, i'm looking at other racks that fits my needs. just was looking at you positions of the rack and was curious. thanks for the info.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I was actually thinking of mounting one pair of Yakima gutter mounts with a long bar, positioning it at the balance point for the hard top. Seems it would be much easier to get two people and each grabs the end of the bar and lifts the top off. It is a tad unwieldy otherwise, though maybe the wife and I just need more practice.

more practice taking the top off.

the Jeep’s top.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
the other thing is if i mount the front rack on the freedom panels, will it screw up or damage the seal, etc. i'm not worried about not able to take the panels off with the rack on. also what rack do you have.
While it is tempting to mount the front load bar on the freedom panels, I would reconsider this option. Aerodynamic lifting forces can be quite high, especially with a kayak or rooftop cargo box.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
While it is tempting to mount the front load bar on the freedom panels, I would reconsider this option. Aerodynamic lifting forces can be quite high, especially with a kayak or rooftop cargo box.
didnt think of that. as to what i was thinking is that its not a good idea to put a rack on the freedom panels. so my next question would be, how bad of a "load stress" would the racks do on the gutters when the rack is placed on back portion of the hard top. ideally placing the rack far apart will even out the load of the kayak.