Let's See Some JLU Gutter Mounted Crossbars

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I don't dispute that but I was just following the instructions provided by Rhino rack.

Moving the bars rearwards would be fine for something short like a tent or a recreational kayak. But I'm guessing that it wouldn't be feasible for an 18' 75lb sea kayak.

Hmm... maybe it's an excuse for me to trade up to Gladiator. :devil:
I fully understand the need for additional crossbar spread. I have a 2-door JL and kayaks. As much as I love the look of the 2-door, it's not very practical. Attached are the installation instructions for the Mopar racks that instruct not to mount the crossbars to the freedom panels.

Screenshot_20191121-075119_Drive.jpg

Sponsored

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Static weight is usually a good bit higher, which is the rating for when you are sleeping in it. Does it feel pretty solid? What tent are you using?

The three bars is a great idea to spread the load. The center one lines up pretty well with the C pillar, which should be a strong point on the hard top.
Yeah, I don't have the static weight numbers but the setup feels totally solid with two adults and a dog in the tent. The tent I'm using is the Tepui Kukenam 3.

JLhokie14

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Li

I like this
It’s pretty solid-newer to market but I called and talked to the guys at 4WP for a bit and they said they tested the static to 900 lbs on the lid and uplift test too. Have yet to break one. I was hesitant at first, but once I hear this I figured it’s a very safe margin for error, and heaviest load I could load is about 100lbs or so while off-road, and then two people up top for a total of about 290-300lbs. Plenty of room for error-plus, all one piece design, welded, powder coated, low profile. I figured best of all worlds, and easiest to install at a cheap price point!!

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Yakima gutter mounts, Yakima Round Crossbars and Yakima Load warrior basket.

Recently added the center extension to the Load warrior and it is the full length of the hard top (up to the freedom panels). Extension is not pictured here.

IMG_20191109_184840.jpg

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Had the bars from another vehicle, bought the mounts on Craigslist for $50 - good to go!
Jeep in Reno 2.jpg

JLhokie14

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Had the bars from another vehicle, bought the mounts on Craigslist for $50 - good to go!
Jeep in Reno 2.jpg
Nice, are those Inno racks? That's what I used to have on my other ride, but I let them go b/c they weren't wide enough(not that you care lol)

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, are those Inno racks? That's what I used to have on my other ride, but I let them go b/c they weren't wide enough(not that you care lol)
Thule bars and supports. I don't recall the length of the bars. They are just the standard rectangle bar - nothing fancy. I used to have them on my VW Jetta Sportwagon. They are wide enough to support 6 bikes troughs. We (my family of 4) used to race bikes and race triathlon so we always had a rack full of bikes on the roof!

JLhokie14

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thule bars and supports. I don't recall the length of the bars. They are just the standard rectangle bar - nothing fancy. I used to have them on my VW Jetta Sportwagon. They are wide enough to support 6 bikes troughs. We (my family of 4) used to race bikes and race triathlon so we always had a rack full of bikes on the roof!
That's awesome - mine was on a VW Passat Turbo! good choice coming to Jeep!!
Sponsored