First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Total agreement--

The WRANGLER is an OFF-ROAD/OVERLANDING vehicle, but

Chrysler , because of the year/tech./public response has made it HIGHWAY USEABLE--

If you're choosing a HIGHWAY/COMMUTE vehicle and that's the PRIMARY use--you shouldn't choose a vehicle with SOLID AXLES--

W.E.

JIMBO
I'm always interested in the discussions of how the Wrangler is as a daily driver, on the highways, etc. I'll be honest, it's my one reservation with getting a Wrangler. I've never owned one before. So I'm wondering... after I get one, will I think it's fine on the highway or will it drive me crazy? For many people, they don't care that it's not as smooth and quiet on the road as other vehicles. Hopefully I'm in that camp. If not, the high resale value will allow me to trade it in if I absolutely can't deal with it and get something more "practical."

I'm getting a 2-door, even though I have two kids, because I've always wanted a 2-door and have never liked the 4-door. My wife has an Acura SUV, and when here lease is up on that, she'll probably get a bigger SUV (like a Honda Pilot). So anytime we need to take the kids somewhere on a trip, we'll use her SUV and leave the Jeep at home. For a brief time, I looked at the 4Runner because it seemed a bit more practical than a Wrangler (more space too). But I've wanted a Wrangler for at least the past 20 years, so that's what I plan to get in the next 6-10 months. Again, if I can't live with the pros and cons of it, I can always go get a 4Runner to replace it. But I won't know until I try it out!
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm always interested in the discussions of how the Wrangler is as a daily driver, on the highways, etc. I'll be honest, it's my one reservation with getting a Wrangler. I've never owned one before. So I'm wondering... after I get one, will I think it's fine on the highway or will it drive me crazy? For many people, they don't care that it's not as smooth and quiet on the road as other vehicles. Hopefully I'm in that camp. If not, the high resale value will allow me to trade it in if I absolutely can't deal with it and get something more "practical."

I'm getting a 2-door, even though I have two kids, because I've always wanted a 2-door and have never liked the 4-door. My wife has an Acura SUV, and when here lease is up on that, she'll probably get a bigger SUV (like a Honda Pilot). So anytime we need to take the kids somewhere on a trip, we'll use her SUV and leave the Jeep at home. For a brief time, I looked at the 4Runner because it seemed a bit more practical than a Wrangler (more space too). But I've wanted a Wrangler for at least the past 20 years, so that's what I plan to get in the next 6-10 months. Again, if I can't live with the pros and cons of it, I can always go get a 4Runner to replace it. But I won't know until I try it out!
You cannot go wrong with a 2-door because a 2-door is funner than a 4-door . Kids can get in the back ; there are seat belts back there . You'll have no regrets owning a guy vehicle . By the way , the basic Sport is all you'll need ; you can roll your own windows up and down , and manually lock and unlock your doors . Of course you can .

From what I've seen , the 4-runner would be better than a Honda pilot in many ways .

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
My 4 door is all kinds of fun in the carpool lane, on the way to the mall, after soccer practice. Can’t wait to get my stop sign installed so I can drop off all the neighborhood kids safely. Still pissed at my salesman, he told me I was buying a Jeep! I should sue them for not disclosing I needed a 2 door to get a “real” Jeep. Happy Friday.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

My 4 door is all kinds of fun in the carpool lane, on the way to the mall, after soccer practice. Can’t wait to get my stop sign installed so I can drop off all the neighborhood kids safely. Still pissed at my salesman, he told me I was buying a Jeep! I should sue them for not disclosing I needed a 2 door to get a “real” Jeep. Happy Friday.
Yeah. Sucks man. Let us know how the lawsuit goes. You'll probably have to sell it and take the loss to get an actual Jeep though. But what do I know. GL

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Still pissed at my salesman, he told me I was buying a Jeep! I should sue them for not disclosing I needed a 2 door to get a “real” Jeep.
Salesman wanted to sell you the 4-door for a bigger commission ; and to keep the trails less crowded .

Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You cannot go wrong with a 2-door because a 2-door is funner than a 4-door . Kids can get in the back ; there are seat belts back there . You'll have no regrets owning a guy vehicle . By the way , the basic Sport is all you'll need ; you can roll your own windows up and down , and manually lock and unlock your doors . Of course you can .

From what I've seen , the 4-runner would be better than a Honda pilot in many ways .
My plan is to get a Sport S. A few more creature comforts than a base Sport, but not all the added Rubicon features that I'll never use. (Nothing against Rubis -- I love all the trim levels.)

As for 4Runner vs Pilot, I don't think my wife is a big fan of the 4Runner. This will be her daily driver, so I'll let her decide which she likes better. Years ago, we test-drove a 4Runner and neither of us were that impressed with it. We ended up buying a Nissan Xterra instead.

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My plan is to get a Sport S. A few more creature comforts than a base Sport, but not all the added Rubicon features that I'll never use. (Nothing against Rubis -- I love all the trim levels.)

As for 4Runner vs Pilot, I don't think my wife is a big fan of the 4Runner. This will be her daily driver, so I'll let her decide which she likes better. Years ago, we test-drove a 4Runner and neither of us were that impressed with it. We ended up buying a Nissan Xterra instead.
I saw you posted in the Tri-City thread, did you get one ordered from there?

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Salesman wanted to sell you the 4-door for a bigger commission ; and to keep the trails less crowded .
He also talked me into the overpriced JL when I could have saved huge bucks and bought the better built and more affordable JK. What a bastard.

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara

My wife liked the highlander much better than the pilot or the 4Runner. For a daily driver the highlander is hard to beat

Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife liked the highlander much better than the pilot or the 4Runner. For a daily driver the highlander is hard to beat
Yes, I'm going to recommend the Highlander to my wife, too. Several of our friends have Highlanders and all of them seem to love them. I'm sure one of her friends will let her "test drive" theirs. I'd be more than happy for her to get a Highlander.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw you posted in the Tri-City thread, did you get one ordered from there?
No, I haven't ordered one yet. My plan is to order sometime in the spring or summer of 2019. I'm saving up money for it so I can pay cash, and my current savings pace has me hitting the saving goal next summer. So I could order as early as April for a summer delivery. Everything I've read about Tri-City seems positive, so I'd like to go through them if I can 5%-6% below invoice and have a pleasant buying experience.

Hammerton

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
No, I haven't ordered one yet. My plan is to order sometime in the spring or summer of 2019. I'm saving up money for it so I can pay cash, and my current savings pace has me hitting the saving goal next summer. So I could order as early as April for a summer delivery. Everything I've read about Tri-City seems positive, so I'd like to go through them if I can 5%-6% below invoice and have a pleasant buying experience.
I had a 2 door JK before kids and I have a 2 door JL now with a 7 & 9 year old. They get in the back just fine (climbing over the rear tires when the roof is off and they love it!). My preference is two door. I know it in my bones and that is the point - get what you like. One is not better than the other, just different. It's like ice cream - Strawberry is not better than Vanilla, some people just like one more than the other. It's a great daily driver. I'd love to off road every day all day but I gotta work, so I gotta drive there... all highway. Cruising in a Jeep beats puttering in a Honda civic any day at any speed on any road. Period.

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase

FWIW, before buying my JL (which was also my first Wrangler), I was also concerned about the highway driving (i.e., ride and noise), but it turned out to be MUCH better than I expected (on both fronts). Is it as plush as many cars/SUVs out there? No. But if it were, it wouldn't have the same off-road worthiness, which was one of the main reasons I bought it. Regarding highway noise, my JL (with a hard top) is actually much quieter than my wife's FR-S. I don't know how they did it.

km58501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I had a 2018 JLUR, but then the band broke up, I no longer needed all that space to carry the PA. Took it offroad twice and was already tired of the 3 point turns and limited break over (with 35s) and dragging my ass all over the trails. I felt I had made a mistake, and the 2 doors were a long ways off, not even being seen in the wild yet.

One day, less than a month ago I passed my local Jeep dealer and a ray of sunshine parted the clouds, shone on her beautiful sting grayness and there she was, the Mole. I traded in my Unlimited for the agility, incredible turning radius, and plain out smile it brings to my face every time I see her. I did what was required to secure her. You only live once, knowhatImean?

IMG_5932 square.jpg
Man...I really like your Jeep.
Sponsored