Sponsored

Let talk 2 door JL

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I didn’t say your 4 door Jeep isn’t a decent vehicle on the highway. My 2 door is a decent vehicle on the highway too. My point was that it really makes little difference which of the two models you choose since both JLs will be okay for highway driving. Neither would be the best choice in a vehicle for a person who drives on the highway, though.

Put another way, the knife you take with you for fishing would probably work okay if you took it with you hunting, but it’s ideal to have a more purpose built knife for hunting. In that vein, I’d hate to give up my Yukon for 80 mph highway cruising, just as I’d hate to give up my Wrangler for top down/doors off around town/beach fun. Two different knives for different endeavors, but whey’re still both knives.

I may be wrong, but it my 47 years I’ve owned all sorts of vehicles and some are better at one thing than they are the other. A Wrangler, no matter the door count, isn’t the best grand tourer.
No worries, I agree with what you are saying. I was just trying to gauge any improvement as there is a noticeable difference in the JK from 2 door to 4 door on the highway. I am not trying to pick the best highway vehicle.
Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

2dr Wranglers are cool but 4dr Wranglers are great because there are so many 2dr vehicles out there but the only (new) 4dr convertible you can buy is the Wrangler Unlimited.

Also, as authentic a 2dr Wrangler is, driving one makes you fall in to the category of buyers of cheap sports cars like Miatas and BRZs. You are more likely to see a jobless high school dropout wearing a cap backwards with poor taste in clothing in a 2dr. Unless you actually go rock crawling, which most don't, get a real sports convertible from BMW, Audi or Mercedes if you want to impress anyone. A Range Rover Evoque convertible will do if you want a 2 door convertible that can go offroad.

The 4dr can hang with big boys and girls like Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and G classes and Patrols. The 2dr is a bit of a toy, in comparison.
F11C80F7-7A0A-4FBF-B081-2A7B95652319.gif

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
No worries, I agree with what you are saying. I was just trying to gauge any improvement as there is a noticeable difference in the JK from 2 door to 4 door on the highway. I am not trying to pick the best highway vehicle.
I have a 2-door JK and I regularly go above 80 mph on freeway , without the slightest hiccup . That said , I run OEM 16" wheels with street tires .

With a lift and big tires , likely the 4-door would be better . ( But a 4-door has not passed me yet .)

( Just talking paved highway here .)

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2018 JLUR, but then the band broke up, I no longer needed all that space to carry the PA. Took it offroad twice and was already tired of the 3 point turns and limited break over (with 35s) and dragging my ass all over the trails. I felt I had made a mistake, and the 2 doors were a long ways off, not even being seen in the wild yet.

One day, less than a month ago I passed my local Jeep dealer and a ray of sunshine parted the clouds, shone on her beautiful sting grayness and there she was, the Mole. I traded in my Unlimited for the agility, incredible turning radius, and plain out smile it brings to my face every time I see her. I did what was required to secure her. You only live once, knowhatImean?

IMG_5932 square.jpg

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If you're choosing a HIGHWAY/COMMUTE vehicle and that's the PRIMARY use--you shouldn't choose a vehicle with SOLID AXLES
Personally , I've been a Jeep loyalist for 51 years , beginning with the Army M-151 , and I prefer solid axles for every type of driving . Solid Axles have a solid stance , like an infantry company first sergeant .

Personally , I cannot abide Independent Front Suspension , which has a wuss ballet dancer stance , like a precious prius .

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Personally , I've been a Jeep loyalist for 51 years , beginning with the Army M-151 , and I prefer solid axles for every type of driving . Solid Axles have a solid stance , like an infantry company first sergeant .

Personally , I cannot abide Independent Front Suspension , which has a wuss ballet dancer stance , like a precious prius .
Don't get me started on E-8's.....

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Don't get me started on E-8's.....
My favorite E-8 had a shortened over and under shotgun in right hand . No IFS for him ; solid axle stance all the way . Bringing in a prisoner . Serious business .
vietnam business.jpg

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Also, as authentic a 2dr Wrangler is, driving one makes you fall in to the category of buyers of cheap sports cars like Miatas and BRZs. You are more likely to see a jobless high school dropout wearing a cap backwards with poor taste in clothing in a 2dr.
That's about the most ridiculous thing I've seen posted on this forum during the 8 months I've been here. Whatever, I hope you're enjoying your short bus!

af78b8e28b03bce95a7fe16e98a5fbc7.jpg

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Very interesting thread--

It's so much easier to maneuver/turn/avoid trees/bears/ruts--
Especially when you wear your hat backwards... you know, for improved visibility? LOL

epd313

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR, 2019 Genesis G90
Occupation
Retired
I do like that orange. I’m debating orange or white 2 door, and then also debating the painted or black fenders.
Did you decide yet? I went with the 2 Dr punk'n with matching fenders street seeing a video on YouTube of a guys jeep up in Canada. Search 2dr JL rubicon on YouTube you will see it. I ordered the exact one...same options based on how awesome that keep looked. Ordered 8/11 so of course I'm still waiting

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Update....I did reduce the tire pressure to 34# all around, and what a difference it made. It drives as good as the 4 door did!

This Jeep rocks!

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
2dr Wranglers are cool but 4dr Wranglers are great because there are so many 2dr vehicles out there but the only (new) 4dr convertible you can buy is the Wrangler Unlimited.

Also, as authentic a 2dr Wrangler is, driving one makes you fall in to the category of buyers of cheap sports cars like Miatas and BRZs. You are more likely to see a jobless high school dropout wearing a cap backwards with poor taste in clothing in a 2dr. Unless you actually go rock crawling, which most don't, get a real sports convertible from BMW, Audi or Mercedes if you want to impress anyone. A Range Rover Evoque convertible will do if you want a 2 door convertible that can go offroad.

The 4dr can hang with big boys and girls like Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and G classes and Patrols. The 2dr is a bit of a toy, in comparison.
Wow, apparently somebody grew up in a household where the seal for the microwave had a leak.

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Did you decide yet? I went with the 2 Dr punk'n with matching fenders street seeing a video on YouTube of a guys jeep up in Canada. Search 2dr JL rubicon on YouTube you will see it. I ordered the exact one...same options based on how awesome that keep looked. Ordered 8/11 so of course I'm still waiting
Yup I went with a 2 door Punk'n.
Sponsored