Let me know what you think of my DIY hardtop hoist

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
in the back im using the topsy hoist brackets.

the actual hoist is RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist. im using 2 of them and each is rated for 100lbs, so I figured they would be more than adequate for the hardtop. I removed the bicycle attachment and replaced with an eye bolt and carabiner. the eye bolt is “not rated for overhead lifting” but at the same time its rated for 3500lbs. Can anyone recommend an eye bolt that is rated for overhead? As for the hoist, too be honest, it feels a little flimsy and im not exteremly confident in the system.

im really concerened with the front and the pressue on the hardtop sitting on the 2x4. If you look close at the pic you can see I sandwiched a 1/4” piece of furniture padding between the hardtop and the 2x4. Do you think this is ok? Or should I maybe go to a 2x6” to spreadout the load over a larger area?

All feedback is appreciated.
Jeep Wrangler JL Let me know what you think of my DIY hardtop hoist 9E34FCFE-9B46-4D7E-BE28-2DCDE4AD21FA
Jeep Wrangler JL Let me know what you think of my DIY hardtop hoist E333BB73-0EB8-4B57-8BA3-C2CD2CDBD8D1
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you are using a lag bolt that screws directly into the wood they can’t guaranty the load do to having no control over the wood. The constant pressure of a downward pull on an overhead mounting will eventually give way.

An eye bolt with at least a course thread and a nylon locking nut and large washed would be preferred. Drill a hole though the wood and then bolt it from behind. The best way to do this is use a dense wood, such as oak, to span between the soft pine rafters and mount to that. Then all you need to do is use a deck screw to secure the spans to the rafter just to keep them from moving.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
People usually underestimate the strength of materials. Consider that each corner is being held up by two strands of rope. Are the other links in the chain as strong as those ropes? Are you within the weight rating of the hoists? If so you are OK.

That said, any overhead lift is subject to "sudden catastrophic failure." Those three words strike fear into the hearts of us engineers...

The 2x4 looks good to me. The eye bolts look good to me assuming you have a washer under that duct tape. The carabiners look good, especially if they are the type that locks together when it closes. I used similar hoists for our bicycles for a couple of years and I agree they seemed a little sketchy and I'd consider three things. 1) Don't exceed the weight rating. Try putting a bathroom scale on a saw horse and check under the 2x4 and the rear. 2) You need quality hardware at the ceiling. I had to replace all of the screws that go into the joists as those supplied tended to snap off even if you predrilled the holes. 3) If you loose your grip on the rope the whole thing comes crashing down. Harbor Freight carries a "worm drive winch" that could be attached to the wall to raise and lower the top. Unlike spur gear winched, worm drive has a built-in braking function so that if you let go of the handle it stays put. You are going to hate how slow it goes, I'd rig up a drill and a nut driver to speed things up...
Sponsored