Let’s talk tread wear.

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
My new JLURD will be here in two weeks and I will go to 35’s before it even hits my driveway.
It will be my DD, but don’t mind some road noise. On my previous JKUR, I had both KM2’s and Nitto Mud Grapplers. Both had pros and cons.
What experiences are you guys having with tread wear on any M/T tire? I guess I’d also consider the KO2 A/T since I’m in Michigan and don’t get into anything too crazy too often. I’m looking for some something with aggressive tread, but I’m putting tread wear above all else.
What say you?

Thanks for the input.....
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My new JLURD will be here in two weeks and I will go to 35’s before it even hits my driveway.
It will be my DD, but don’t mind some road noise. On my previous JKUR, I had both KM2’s and Nitto Mud Grapplers. Both had pros and cons.
What experiences are you guys having with tread wear on any M/T tire? I guess I’d also consider the KO2 A/T since I’m in Michigan and don’t get into anything too crazy too often. I’m looking for some something with aggressive tread, but I’m putting tread wear above all else.
What say you?

Thanks for the input.....
My Patagonias are wearing pretty quick, I'm guessing I'd get 25k w/ them. Jeremy I'd take a hard look at the newest Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs, they have a very aggressive and deep tread for an AT-based tire, a 50k tread warranty and 3peak snow rated. Mickeys are always one of the best, and this being brand new I think they raised the bar quite high. Check @DadJokes posts on them, he just landed a set.
Like @sourdough mentioned, hard to find any fault w/ STT Pros, one of the best for sure!

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have a set of Cooper STT Pro with 35K and the tread wear is even. I do 5K 5 tire rotations and run them at 28 PSI cold. They are 37x12.5r17 on 8.5 wide wheel. At this point, they look like they will go 50K +.
I also have the Cooper STT Pro and love it. Only have 2k on the tires so far and no issues. I honestly can't see any wear so far. You will notice a difference in noise levels and when you first start driving you will feel the tires. But I look and more importantly the off road capability of the tire is amazing.

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
I had considered the SST’s, but was questioning the wear at that price point. Thanks for the info. I’ll also take a quick look at the Baja Boss.

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Anyone ever hear anything on the Cooper Evolution M/T? It’s 20% less than the SST. My understanding is it’s an exclusive model for Discount Tire.

Also, considering it’s a diesel, wonder if I’ll need a higher load range...

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anyone ever hear anything on the Cooper Evolution M/T? It’s 20% less than the SST. My understanding is it’s an exclusive model for Discount Tire.

Also, considering it’s a diesel, wonder if I’ll need a higher load range...
I think a D or E load rating would be fine, I run Es right now and find the drive to be fine @32 psi. As far as the Evolution, if you look at Coopers website they have ratings based on tires in their lineup, the Evolutions come up a bit short of the STTs, but how short, probably about 20% short, hence the price difference lol.
Check the posts from @wibornz, he's put tons of hard miles on his STT Pros and his whole group of hard rollers runs them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Two other tires to look at if you're wanting @Discount Tire exclusive tires. The Cooper MTP, it's essentially a STT Pro w/ 2ply instead of 3 ply sidewalls, so a bit lighter and probably a bit softer ride.

And the Goodyear Ultra Terrain, similar to the Duratrac, so should get great tread wear, excellent cold weather performance and lighter weight.

Both of those tires @Discount Tire are a fair amount cheaper than their STT Pro & Duratrac counterparts :)
https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-mtp
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-mtp
https://www.discounttire.com/featured/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at

Last edited:
OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Dang, that’s good info @blnewt, thanks. I’ve never seen the MTP either and that seems like a decent all around tire for me. I might actually go that route.
Im not loyal to Discount, just noticed that the Evolution was an exclusive. I’ve also considered the Nittro Trail Grappler. You can get it in an 11.50” wide option which I think is kind of nice, keeping more of the tire under the wheel well, also slightly less rolling resistance.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mud terrains will go quick on pavement. It's just the nature of the beast, along with noise. I run KO2's for a reason, they get me out of most situations and if not I had no business being there anyway. The new Mickey Baja Boss look good as well as the older Deegan 38's if not a BFG fan. I like the KO2 snow performance hence my preference.

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Are Mickey Thompsons known to be a ‘high mileage’ brand? I know BFGs last a while, and it sounds like the SSTs last a while too. 50K miles is almost 2yrs of driving for me.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are Mickey Thompsons known to be a ‘high mileage’ brand? I know BFGs last a while, and it sounds like the SSTs last a while too. 50K miles is almost 2yrs of driving for me.
Mickeys in the All Terrain tread like the older ATZ P3 and the new Baja Boss AT are 45k+ treadwear warranty, if you look at reviews of the ATZ some have gotten well over 60k on them (that's why I have a set in my shed waiting to be mounted up) :)
And they have some of the deepest tread depths of any AT based tread, the only other one that comes to mind w/ that deep AT tread is the Falken Wildpeak ATs, and that's only in the bigger sizes.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am getting close to 50,000 miles on a set of Cooper STT Pro 37s. I think I will be able to get 60,000 miles out of them. I wheel all over the US and tow a camper the majority of the time while Jeep traveling.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Mickeys in the All Terrain tread like the older ATZ P3 and the new Baja Boss AT are 45k+ treadwear warranty, if you look at reviews of the ATZ some have gotten well over 60k on them (that's why I have a set in my shed waiting to be mounted up) :)
And they have some of the deepest tread depths of any AT based tread, the only other one that comes to mind w/ that deep AT tread is the Falken Wildpeak ATs, and that's only in the bigger sizes.
What he said... I'm on my 2nd set of ATZ P3's and love them, I can't wait to try out the new A/T's they just came out with.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@JeepAdmin, if you’re considering Cooper tires look into the Discoverer AT3 XLT. I just had a set installed Saturday. They are fantastic. I know they aren’t a mud terrain tire, but they have an aggressive look and will definitely last longer than a true MT tire.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Jeep Wrangler JL Let’s talk tread wear. 20210406_180657
Heres my falken at3w at 20k. 35". 33lbs on road and 15lbs off road. have had 4 sets of these and they are hands down better than the ko2 in every way. Thats a quarter placed square against the tread block.
Sponsored