First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Alright everyone since I am spending the winter prepping for a more eventful wheeling season (get out more than once) and dreaming of summer it got me browsing summer top options.

I am planning to run pretty much naked all summer, that being said I would still like something to somewhat protect the kids if it rains. I have a few options as I see it. I already have a sunshade to block some heat. I will be buying a half cab cover to put over the Jeep if parked regardless of what I decide. If weather was supposed to be terrible we would just drive the wife’s ride.

1) Leave the soft top on and down. Add a tonneau wind jammer like the master top version. (Pretty much buttons her up if needed)

2) Get a wind jammer and tonneau that doesn’t completely seal the back off (rampage and bestop). Again use the factory top. Leaves some gabs for the kiddos to get a little wet.

3) Bikini + tonneau + wind jammer. Remove factory top. Most open as the soft top would be stored most of the nice seasons. I like this one but can’t decide on a bikini to pick.
Sponsored

Glovetown

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
Alright everyone since I am spending the winter prepping for a more eventful wheeling season (get out more than once) and dreaming of summer it got me browsing summer top options.

I am planning to run pretty much naked all summer, that being said I would still like something to somewhat protect the kids if it rains. I have a few options as I see it. I already have a sunshade to block some heat. I will be buying a half cab cover to put over the Jeep if parked regardless of what I decide. If weather was supposed to be terrible we would just drive the wife’s ride.

1) Leave the soft top on and down. Add a tonneau wind jammer like the master top version. (Pretty much buttons her up if needed)

2) Get a wind jammer and tonneau that doesn’t completely seal the back off (rampage and bestop). Again use the factory top. Leaves some gabs for the kiddos to get a little wet.

3) Bikini + tonneau + wind jammer. Remove factory top. Most open as the soft top would be stored most of the nice seasons. I like this one but can’t decide on a bikini to pick.
Bestop NX series. I have a 2 door and it’s great. Covers the kids in the back and also has the sunroof option for me and the wife.

mul1gan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JKUR
bestop NX is nice, had that on my JKUR, this time around I opted to do without the hardtop and went with the prem soft only. The hardtop did take up a good amount of space in the garage.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Don't overthink it and just go with a soft top. Yea, jammers and bikini tops and all that are cool and will give a bit more overall open space on the beautiful days, but the first true storm you have to go through with just a bikini top... yea, you'll be wishing for the full soft top again lol

I spent a couple summers bailing out water from all corners of my jeep, and it gets old with a family pretty fast. If it were just me I probably still wouldn't mind, but when you have to think about the comfort of other people, it changes the equation drastically.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Our nekid season is now, and the best part of our Bestop Trektop Ultra ragtop is the ability to go completely nekid, or can easily turn to safari mode……

Jeep Wrangler JL Let’s talk summer tops 26C2D330-A57C-40CF-B19C-AE3B0C3955B0

Jeep Wrangler JL Let’s talk summer tops 56E78E90-3B4C-499B-ADEB-2D7A7E281719

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
See I already have a soft top. Hard tops just aren’t for me unless I need the ability to haul stuff on a rack. So I don’t need to buy a full top. To me it’s just bulky when down.

Like I said I am just embracing the rain this year. Doors and back windows will be staying in the garage as long as there is no call for weeks of continuous rain. I run all spring through fall with the carpets out and drains pulled. I missed too many nice days playing to the forecast last summer.

Really looking for options to allow some protection, again kids don’t need a down pour on them but find some water fun.

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Our nekid season is now, and the best part of the ragtop is the ability to go completely nekid, or can easily turn to safari mode……

That’s the problem I am struggling with. Makes me lean towards options 1 above. It allows me to not have to haul windows at least should I need to button up.

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I have a hard top only right now and find myself wishing I had a soft top. Just seems too convenient. I usually run topless from May-October so the soft top seems like the best option for me. Have a 392 on order now and ordered dual top. Might just run the soft top full time. We’ll see how I like it.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Don't overthink it and just go with a soft top. Yea, jammers and bikini tops and all that are cool and will give a bit more overall open space on the beautiful days, but the first true storm you have to go through with just a bikini top... yea, you'll be wishing for the full soft top again lol

I spent a couple summers bailing out water from all corners of my jeep, and it gets old with a family pretty fast. If it were just me I probably still wouldn't mind, but when you have to think about the comfort of other people, it changes the equation drastically.
What he said. The no top thing is fun until (1) it rains (2) you’re stuck under a broiling sun for a LONG time (3) the weather suddenly changes in spring or fall and that “nice day” turns cold. Topless is a ball in mild weather or on summer nights-other times maybe not so much YMMV

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I bought me a premium Mopar soft top. I plan on leaving it on but just putting it down all summer. Might get a mesh too thing to help with the CO sun. As soon as it’s over 60mo greed, the doors are coming off too!

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
We added a JTopsUSA Sun Shade to our Premium soft top and were very happy with the result. You can leave it in place and close the top over it, no problem.

As hiimmike said, it's mighty nice in the hot Colorado sun.
Sponsored