Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I also noticed they did 5.38 gears with 40s I wonder why
We did the 5.38's to go for a crazy high crawl ratio with the torque for crawling with the 40's. Also 5.38 is the most common ratio ordered in our axles so we wanted to test the gear sets in our axles with our JL 60's.

because they feared it like a gas which is a huge mistake

brett
See above. :)

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We did the 5.38's to go for a crazy high crawl ratio with the torque for crawling with the 40's. Also 5.38 is the most common ratio ordered in our axles so we wanted to test the gear sets in our axles with our JL 60's.

See above.
why not swap out for a 4:1 t/c for the crawl ratio? Hope the testing goes well but diesels don’t like high revving like the 3.6 needs. How’s the Rpms at 70?

brett

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
because they feared it like a gas which is a huge mistake

brett
why not swap out for a 4:1 t/c for the crawl ratio? Hope the testing goes well but diesels don’t like high revving like the 3.6 needs. How’s the Rpms at 70?

brett
Good question, I believe it was done to test out the extra strain on the drivetrain without the 4:1 ratio. So far there's been no issues as our rep Jeremy Pool uses it as a daily driver with city and highway driving, and weekend wheeling use. Asking him he said it cruises in 8th gear past 65-70 mph so 5.38's are on the low side like you guys said.

Sponsored

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
For springs, I tried the Rock Krawler Diesel Specific 3.5 inch springs in front, but the rear were regular 3.5 inch JLU springs. Once installed I noticed the rear sat slightly lower. I wasn’t exactly sure why this was, but once I loaded up for overlanding/trail wheeling, the rear would sit close to 3/4 of in inch lower.

Once I swapped out the 3.5 inch rear springs for the 4.5 inch rear springs, I was a lot happier with the ride height both unloaded and loaded. It’s very close to level while loaded and has a very slight rake ~ 1/2 inch when unloaded.

I’m also waiting on the EcoDiesel shocks from Teraflex. I’ve been using the Fox monotube shocks in the mean time, and the seems pretty comfortable.

This picture is while I still have the 3.5 inch rear springs. It’s hard to tell, but a little low in rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Let’s Talk Springs and Shocks for a minute 1610388085165

keep in mind, I daily this, and drive out to the trails when I have time. I’ve been trying to keep it highway friendly, and still do some moderately tough trails.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Good question, I believe it was done to test out the extra strain on the drivetrain without the 4:1 ratio. So far there's been no issues as our rep Jeremy Pool uses it as a daily driver with city and highway driving, and weekend wheeling use. Asking him he said it cruises in 8th gear past 65-70 mph so 5.38's are on the low side like you guys said.
Please send me a quote for a JT set geared 5.13 for 42s

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please send me a quote for a JT set geared 5.13 for 42s
Sorry, I believe you have the wrong thread and wrong person. Teraflex does not offer regearing outside of new upgraded and geared axle housings.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
yup. We just did a diesel with fox 2.5” remote resi and being able locate it out if the way is helpful

brett
did you use the stock valving on the Fox 2.5s? I'm about to order my 4th JL and on the fence between the 2.0 and 3.0. I am leaning toward the diesel, but knowing I want to run the Fox 2.5s this time has me concerned that they may not match as well with the weight of the diesel up front.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you use the stock valving on the Fox 2.5s? I'm about to order my 4th JL and on the fence between the 2.0 and 3.0. I am leaning toward the diesel, but knowing I want to run the Fox 2.5s this time has me concerned that they may not match as well with the weight of the diesel up front.
Off the shelf. Accutune had to long of a lead time as they’re still dealing with the covid stuff and I had this set in stock. Diesel for sure is my suggestion!

brett

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Off the shelf. Accutune had to long of a lead time as they’re still dealing with the covid stuff and I had this set in stock. Diesel for sure is my suggestion!

brett
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have had 3 JLURs, but all the 3.6 so far. Most I talk to recommend what they have themselves. Its good to hear from someone who have worked on and driven (maybe even owned) both.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

brett
All of the Eco-Diesel come with the D44 front and rear, is there an easy way to add e lockers to them yet? Would much rather build this one up instead of just getting all the Rubicon electronic stiff tied into the computer. (Lockers, swaybar disconnect etc) but in the past had to go Rubicon if you did not want air lockers.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of the Eco-Diesel come with the D44 front and rear, is there an easy way to add e lockers to them yet? Would much rather build this one up instead of just getting all the Rubicon electronic stiff tied into the computer. (Lockers, swaybar disconnect etc) but in the past had to go Rubicon if you did not want air lockers.
Im not aware of a locker for them but I haven’t looked. What we did for the one in the pic was swapped in some gas rubicon axles (4.10) i was planning on regearing the spare set anyways so this allowed the customer to get a free bump in gearing and I’ll toss 5.13s in these axles. Only hiccup is the breather is on the opposite side of the pumpkin so you’ll need to extend the line a bit.

my suggestion would be to look into that route and mopar sells a 2 wire harness that you can hook into the aux switches or an s-pod for example. I bought my spare set of take out axles with 128 miles for 3500. Added a locker and regear would more than likely cost more than that

brett

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Im not aware of a locker for them but I haven’t looked. What we did for the one in the pic was swapped in some gas rubicon axles (4.10) i was planning on regearing the spare set anyways so this allowed the customer to get a free bump in gearing and I’ll toss 5.13s in these axles. Only hiccup is the breather is on the opposite side of the pumpkin so you’ll need to extend the line a bit.

my suggestion would be to look into that route and mopar sells a 2 wire harness that you can hook into the aux switches or an s-pod for example. I bought my spare set of take out axles with 128 miles for 3500. Added a locker and regear would more than likely cost more than that

brett
I was looking at the Rubicon swap option as well, but was hoping that we may have an e-locker option out by now, or at least the ability to buy the oem rubicon lockers and then wire into the aux switches. the price between a willys eco diesel and rubicon are close enough to even when you factor in an axle swap etc. so at that point I am not sure if it is worth losing the 4:1. I really wish the Mojave was out so I knew if that was something worth waiting on or not. I have been without a jeep since the end of October, and about tired of waiting.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Hey guys! Teraflex CS rep here. Yes, we have specific Eco Diesel shocks coming out around Feburay (if everything goes smoothly). We had to work on a Eco Diesel specific tune to work with the short piggyback's due to the mentioned clearance issues with our traditionally mounted piggyback shocks.

As far as the springs go we found our springs handled the extra weight really well and they didn't have any issues with the extra weight outside of the lower ride height, hence why we add '1 inch spacers to lift kits for Eco Diesels
Are there any updates on the shocks?
Sponsored