Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I don't know if it's been covered or not but is the Willies still going to have the same axle said I always does, and if so is it still going to have the same problems with 37s
Willys JL always had a dana44 rear (same as Rubicon but about an inch shorter). And a Dana30 for the front (weaker than Rubicon).

The new rear is for sure going to be a locked dana44. Very likely the wide version because of the locker and the 33inch tires. They are going to have to pair this with the wide front, which will very likely be a dana44 just like the Rubicon.

But I could be wrong.... it could have a dana30 up front but I doubt it.

It is going to be a badass Jeep. But as usual what's going to happen is that 37s are going to be the new 35s. Just how 35s became the new 33s when the JL first came out. You'll see people claim you need to get stronger axles to run 37s blah blah blah.
Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the Willys rear locker switch. It’s basically the same as the Rubi, minus the Front position.

1680715931685.png
a.l.a Mojave.. with 2.75:1 transfer case too

BagPipesActual

First Name
BagPipes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sahara ..2021 JL Rubicon (Ordered)
And swaybar disconnect. Had they added that man it would have sold like crazy to enthusiasts. Not to say it still wont but that little extra would have been the chefs kiss.
My exact thoughts!

Allen0jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06LJ,
Clubs

If the Willies gets what we've come to know as the standard Rubicon Dana 44 axles front and rear since the Rubicon is getting upgraded floating axles then it might be the way to go

jo_xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Lets just say I won't be trading in any time soon... There are a couple things I like about the '24, but what I don't like is pretty major for me.

Do:
  • Factory 33's
  • Premium soft top standard

Do not:
  • standard lockers - I wanted the LSD over a locker for various reasons. The two biggest being that living where I do I deal with a lot of snow on road, and second is that there just aren't that many rocks where I off road. It's complete overkill for my situation.
  • The screen (?) and technology updates - These are things that I couldn't care less about, and IMO are one of the biggest factors that have ballooned vehicle prices industry wide. When I ordered, a big draw of the Willys Sport to me was the lack of all the bells and whistles while having a couple nice upgrades to the offroad capability from the factory.
  • The grill - I went back and forth on this when I first saw it on the 20A, but after seeing it on the sample '24s today, it's just 100% not for me. Replacing the black outline on the bottom side with body color was also a disappointment for me. It was a unique difference of the willys vs. the satin black grill on other trims.
If I had to get a '24+ due to an insurance replacement or something, I still would. It's still better than the bronco after all. ;) But at this point I think I would probably go with a base sport optioned with the LSD... if it's still available as an option anyway, and build it up from there. I'd still have to deal with the screen and the grill, but at least the diff would be what I want.

Edit: Oh, I forgot the antenna integrated into the windshield... Hello $600 windshield replacement every year or two. The sheer stupidity of that decision is mind boggling.
I agree with all your points here. I prefer the look of the 23 Willys over this. I don't need the rear locker, so the 24 isn't offering much of anything over the 23 I have on order. The grille is just caving to current car styling trends with smaller, more technical looking grilles that IMHO are diverging from some of the design cues that make Wrangler stand out.

And the screen... why do car makers think we're all begging for laptop-sized screens in front of our faces? I don't get it.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I have a 21 Willys sport and I love it. I am not a expert, nor do I have a ton of off-road experience (working on it) however there have been several times that my LSD has pushed me up and out of a sticky situation. When I ordered I knew I would not be rock crawling, so no need for the Rubicon at the extra cost of around $15K more.
I added five things when I ordered it. Willys package, hard top, sarge green, 2.0L Turbo, automatic transmission. And I still came in way under a Rubicon with the same equipment.

I get it, some want the Rubicon for the enmities, and some because they need and use the off road features it comes with.

For me it was the Willys for other reasons besides the cost.

No regrets. Has unbelievable off road abilities.

Deathmatrix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon, 2023 JLU Rubicon (wife’s)
Looks like the Willys will have at least an optional front trail cam. I don’t think that is a current option but I may be wrong

SEMPER GUMBY

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys sport
I ordered a manual 2 door rubicon and backed out because of the locker issues. Went with the 2 door Willys 2.0 to stay away from the etorque and the clutch issues with the manual. So for me the lockers would be the reason I’d stay away from the 2024 Willy’s.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Wish Jeep would have kept the Mercedes 6 speed from the JK. But the ZF 8 speed auto is the best auto I’ve ever had.

I’m going to say that the M210/D44 will go upfront. I expect 3.73s at a minimum, the diesels had those gears and front axle. 4.10s may likely be the choice though. Jeep needs these to get into 8th at 60 MPH for the EPA rating test.

The grey seats look great. The screan is too massive. I hope the AC vents under it flow enough air. They should have done grey tow hooks for the Willys. I wonder of there will be a steel bumper option?

Will I buy one? Not unless mine gets totaled or stolen. I can mod mine with 33s and front/rear TruTracs and be plenty satisfied for less than the cost of trading.

I’m guessing that a 2 door Willys will be around low to mid 50s. It’s taking the place that the Rubicon once was priced at. Expect this to outpace Rubicon sales.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Wish Jeep would have kept the Mercedes 6 speed from the JK. But the ZF 8 speed auto is the best auto I’ve ever had.

I’m going to say that the M210/D44 will go upfront. I expect 3.73s at a minimum, the diesels had those gears and front axle. 4.10s may likely be the choice though. Jeep needs these to get into 8th at 60 MPH for the EPA rating test.

The grey seats look great. The screan is too massive. I hope the AC vents under it flow enough air. They should have done grey tow hooks for the Willys. I wonder of there will be a steel bumper option?

Will I buy one? Not unless mine gets totaled or stolen. I can mod mine with 33s and front/rear TruTracs and be plenty satisfied for less than the cost of trading.

I’m guessing that a 2 door Willys will be around low to mid 50s. It’s taking the place that the Rubicon once was priced at. Expect this to outpace Rubicon sales.
A 2 door Willys in the low to mid 50s would be way over priced and pointless. At that point you mise well just by a slightly pre owned Rubicon or buy a 2023 model year. That would not be good pricing on Jeeps part. Hopefully that's not the case.

Hopefully the pricing just stays close to where it is now with a slight increase. Jeeps are already way over priced. If they increase the prices any higher Jeep will be pricing out there usual loyal customers.

freaknasty

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willy's Unlimited Extreme Recon Package
Occupation
I'm, "That Guy"
I've posted this numerous times before in other threads but, for comparison, my 2021 JLU Willys costs exactly $6,000 less than an identically equipped 2023. So, I'm gonna ballpark it and say that the 4-door version of the Willys is probably going to be around $45K to start and easily could push close to $60K with a lot of options. Crazy. We'll see.
I agree with you on the price estimates

freaknasty

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willy's Unlimited Extreme Recon Package
Occupation
I'm, "That Guy"
Willys JL always had a dana44 rear (same as Rubicon but about an inch shorter). And a Dana30 for the front (weaker than Rubicon).

The new rear is for sure going to be a locked dana44. Very likely the wide version because of the locker and the 33inch tires. They are going to have to pair this with the wide front, which will very likely be a dana44 just like the Rubicon.

But I could be wrong.... it could have a dana30 up front but I doubt it.

It is going to be a badass Jeep. But as usual what's going to happen is that 37s are going to be the new 35s. Just how 35s became the new 33s when the JL first came out. You'll see people claim you need to get stronger axles to run 37s blah blah blah.
Lol, so true. I have super Dana 44 with 4.56 gears and 35’s. May go 37 and everyone tells me I’ll Ned 4.88 or 5:13. I live in semi flat state.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A 2 door Willys in the low to mid 50s would be way over priced and pointless. At that point you mise well just by a slightly pre owned Rubicon or buy a 2023 model year. That would not be good pricing on Jeeps part. Hopefully that's not the case.

Hopefully the pricing just stays close to where it is now with a slight increase. Jeeps are already way over priced. If they increase the prices any higher Jeep will be pricing out there usual loyal customers.
I agree that it would be a great move for Jeep to add more value than the cost increase would reflect. But…my 2020 2 door Willys, 3.6, auto, hardtop, 5” radio was over 39k MSRP. When I build a 2023 as close to it as I can online, it’s about $47k. How in the world can Jeep add upgraded axles, tires, a standard tow package/aux switches and not raise the price to match. Now, I know the build out cost difference on those parts isn’t massive, maybe $2k, but that will prob equal $3-4k in retail value. So now a Willys 2 door crosses $50k. Add any color other than white, and shipping, and now you’re pushing mid $50s. I just can’t see it any other way. Even a Willys Sport will be pushing $40k now. Those were Rubicon prices just 3 years ago.
Sponsored