Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I bought it in January of 2021, and upgraded it over the next 7 months. Lift, tires, wheels, bumpers, etc. Note that nothing was routed through the wiring harness, though. I'm very picky about things like that. I took it wheeling a few times at local ORV parks. It was perfect. In late September I made quick run to the store, and after 10 minutes I came out to see smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and saw flames coming from the back of the engine and burning through the wiring harness (see pics). I used my 2.5lb fire extinguisher and the rest of my Starbucks Grande Americano to put it out, and had it towed home. 10 minutes later and it would have been parked inside my shop and likely caused a catastrophe.

The next day I had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, and they started the process of working with LCA/Stellantis to determine next steps. My initial thought was that it was the same issue that over 14,000 of the 2020 2.0L models had with gas leaking from a fitting on the intake and catching fire that LCA/Stellantis had to issue a recall for (Google it if you want more info). I filed a report with NHSTA, and suggested that it might be the same issue since mine was built shortly after the recall date.

LCA/Stellantis eventually sent a senior engineer out to look at it, and he, the service foreman and I spent hours climbing through the engine to determine what caused the fire. We quickly ruled out the gas leak issue, and finally agreed that it was likely something in the wiring harness, but we couldn't determine exactly what. He agreed that it was a manufacturing issue and immediately notified his HQ that they needed to buy it back. After 3 months, I finally got through the process and they agreed to a price to buy it back, but with a catch: I needed to return the Jeep to stock, and quickly. Dang. The only option was to buy another JLR and swap out the parts. There was only 1 JLR in the entire 3-state region. It's a 3.6L with several more options than my original one, but the parts that I needed to move over worked perfectly. LCA has now taken possession of it, and I expect they will be sending it to Detroit to find out the cause of the fire.

LCA/Stellantis did the right thing and paid me a fair amount, it just took longer than I thought it should. Yes, I know I could have filed with insurance, but that would have impacted my rates, gotten me less money, and would have resulted in me having to start all over again with getting the upgrades and getting them installed.

Lessons learned: (1) have a fire extinguisher and know how to get to it and use it quickly. (2) if you have an issue with your Jeep that you suspect was caused by a manufacturing defect, you have options other than insurance claim (3) the bigger the fire extinguisher you can carry, the better. I now carry a 4lb one.

20210927_164403925_iOS.jpg

20210928_171813135_iOS.jpg
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Dave, Sorry this happened to you but am very glad it all worked out for you. Fca and the Dealership you were working with definitely did the right thing and it actually makes me feel a little less skeptical about the company as a whole. Thank you for sharing this nightmare and again I'm glad you were taken care of in a way we all hope we can expect to be when something like this happens.

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Sorry for the loss, and the extra work you had to put in to get your additions removed. Glad that it happened while parked in a lot, and not while you were driving or parked in your garage.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Geez. Glad to hear your story has a happy ending.

After this, Iā€™m going on Amazon to order an extinguisher!

PS - Did Stellantis reimburse you for that Starbucks Americano you had to dose over the engine...? šŸ˜«

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Why did they demand you return it to stock? Iā€™m not following that part.
Most likely it has to do with the vehicle valuation for the buyback.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I get that part. Probably because that's part of their policy for a buy back.

What I don't get is why would it have to be done so quickly? Seems like that has no bearing on what happened or no real problem for them in getting it back to the factory eventually.

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
If mine ever catches on fire, I donā€™t want anyone near it with an extinguisher. I want it to burn to the ground if possible. Happened to a friend and it was not bad enough to total it. Insurance repaired it and he had an ex-burnt car, not a good thingā€¦

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If mine ever catches on fire, I donā€™t want anyone near it with an extinguisher. I want it to burn to the ground if possible. Happened to a friend and it was not bad enough to total it. Insurance repaired it and he had an ex-burnt car, not a good thingā€¦
In that case, keep a jerry can full of gas in the Jeep... šŸ˜«

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Oh thatā€™s Jimbo in assembly again. Were you wondering why your steering wheel never heated up? The steering wheel heater circuit was apparently hooked up to the wiring harness instead. Instead of a hot wheel, you got hot wires. You know all that wiring can get confusing, itā€™s like a rats nest in there, but rest assured QA makes sure the pretty wire colors are in the same order as the coloring book I mean wiring diagram. Unfortunately we lost Jimbo, he left a few months ago for the 2.7 liter Bronco line. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re appreciating his talents.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Itā€˜s part of the buy-back process. I had to do that when my ā€˜19 was bought back (didnā€˜t quite succeed, but they still took it).

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Sorry, you lost your ride, but you can let us know, which engine you liked the best, 4 or 6 cylinder.
I changed my shocks, with Fox 2.0, you just made me happy I kept my old shocks, my wife thinks I'm a hoarder!