Sponsored

Less than 200 miles after purchase, I have a CEL.

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU - Sting Gray 2.0L Hard Top Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This past Sunday, I bought a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S with the 2.0L engine.

Today, the wife and I went driving around on rural roads, some dirt roads and some highways. Halfway through the dirt/gravel road portion, I noticed the Jeep's fan kicked in and wouldn't disable. It was annoying (the fan is loud). The fan didn't kick in until we were done with our off-road portion, but there was no CEL. We ate lunch, which was maybe an hour, so the Jeep should've had the chance to cool off, but the fan engaged shortly after we began to drive again. We were on the highway when we noticed the CEL had come on and we'd been driving 50+ MPH long before. The engine didn't lose power or anything (ie, no limp mode). We decided to drive on home after a quick stop. The Jeep made it home without issue.

When we got home, I used a code reader and pulled the following codes:

P0EA7
P023A
U05AA
P0EA7
C0700

Yes, the reader showed two of the same code (P0EA7)...I've never seen that before and not sure if that's significant.

I called my dealer and the only appointment they have is on Friday morning, which sucks because the damned car only has 220 miles on it and I can't drive it.

The only place where I've seen mention of the code P0EA7 is here. It's apparently an issue with the "auxiliary cooling system". The link mentions a kinked cooling hose that the dealer fixed. I'm hoping its a simple issue.

Wondering if I should've stuck with my gut and went with the V6. I'll admit that I love the grunt of the 2.0L but I should've never forgotten the fact that new tech will have issues that I may not want to be a part of.

I just wanted to share this issue in case anyone else experiences it later.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
This past Sunday, I bought a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S with the 2.0L engine.

Today, the wife and I went driving around on rural roads, some dirt roads and some highways. Halfway through the dirt/gravel road portion, I noticed the Jeep's fan kicked in and wouldn't disable. It was annoying (the fan is loud). The fan didn't kick in until we were done with our off-road portion, but there was no CEL. We ate lunch, which was maybe an hour, so the Jeep should've had the chance to cool off, but the fan engaged shortly after we began to drive again. We were on the highway when we noticed the CEL had come on and we'd been driving 50+ MPH long before. The engine didn't lose power or anything (ie, no limp mode). We decided to drive on home after a quick stop. The Jeep made it home without issue.

When we got home, I used a code reader and pulled the following codes:

P0EA7
P023A
U05AA
P0EA7
C0700

Yes, the reader showed two of the same code (P0EA7)...I've never seen that before and not sure if that's significant.

I called my dealer and the only appointment they have is on Friday morning, which sucks because the damned car only has 220 miles on it and I can't drive it.

The only place where I've seen mention of the code P0EA7 is here. It's apparently an issue with the "auxiliary cooling system". The link mentions a kinked cooling hose that the dealer fixed. I'm hoping its a simple issue.

Wondering if I should've stuck with my gut and went with the V6. I'll admit that I love the grunt of the 2.0L but I should've never forgotten the fact that new tech will have issues that I may not want to be a part of.

I just wanted to share this issue in case anyone else experiences it later.
If I were you , I'd send a PM to @Chicago , for his opinion .

OP
OP
unixfool

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped the Jeep off at the dealer at 9am this morning. They were out of loaners but they rented me a vehicle from Enterprise (I picked a 2-door JK hard top).

Dealer called back not long ago. Said that they have to replace the coolant pump and since they didn't have one in stock, they've to order it. It won't arrive until Monday, so I'm stuck with the JK.

The JK is nice enough. I've never driven or ridden in one. It's much better than my TJ, but not as good as my JL, IMO. It rides rough...jars against road imperfections, and is a bit noisier than my JL. It drinks fuel like the Cookie Monster eats cookies, too. I think my STI was more miserly than this JK. Now, I thought my JL's wandering steering was a Jeep trait because my TJ drives the same way, but this JK does not wander at all. It does have the big wheel/tire package...I wonder if that's the difference.

We'll see on Monday if the coolant pump replacement fixes the issue. It does explain why the fan engages at Interstate speed (the fan is C-130-loud...I can hear it with the windows up at 70 MPH).

OP
OP
unixfool

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
unixfool

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After 5 days of waiting, I got my Jeep back. The coolant pump replacement was non-eventful. The wife and I immediately took the Jeep out on the back roads again. No further issues were observed (knock on wood).

The wife did notice the steering seemed to have settled down. I'm wondering if the dealer applied some software upgrade because the steering is a LOT better.

As well, I was complaining earlier about the JK's fuel consumption but found that it was because the JK's fuel tank is quite a bit smaller...combine that with the JK's transmission, and it would seem that it was guzzling fuel compared to the JL.

I'm just glad I can drive my JL again.

OP
OP
unixfool

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These threads are insane. So did they fix the issue?
Yes, they fixed it. They had no problem finding the issue, either. It turned out to be a bad coolant pump that they replaced.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I got code P023A today, 24,300 miles on mine... fan was annoyingly loud also... calling dealer tomorrow. Check engine light is on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Less than 200 miles after purchase, I have a CEL. 57094B70-F0F1-4905-8278-972B2A946D6A

Last edited:

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the write-up from the dealer for Code #P023A
Mileage is 24401 on a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU with 2.0L 4cyl engine

Jeep Wrangler JL Less than 200 miles after purchase, I have a CEL. AutoNation_Service_Coolant Pump_Cro
Sponsored