Sponsored

lemon law - swapping jeep, any suggestions?

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
Any suggestions or ideas? I can also have one delivered but really think best local so I can drive it and ensure it also doesn't have the same list of issues. it looks like I get to swap out my Jeep. I sent in the Lemon Law form to Jeep and they called and said I can pick anything they make equal to the MSRP of my Jeep which is about $40,300. I can go down a little and get some cash back or I can go up and pay difference. Not looking to go too much higher but may have some wiggle room. Like 3k or so. I have a Sting Grey sport S currently.

Here is what I plan to look at:

MSRP 44,095 white Sahara hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=252281263

MSRP 40,345 white Sport hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=253201692

MSRP 39,730 white Sport premium soft top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=251562449

MSRP 40,345 Grey Sport hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=253636465

MSRP 44,860 Grey Willies hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=256307159

MSRP 43,025 Gladiator green hardtop

https://www.fivestarcdjr.com/new-Macon-2020-Jeep-+-GLADIATOR+SPORT+S+4X4-1C6HJTAG6LL161640
Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestions or ideas?
Well, I'd say start with what it is you are looking for. Make a list of the options/packages that are available for the model you want and put them in order of importance. Once you have those, you can add up the cost of each option/package and put together the exact model you want. Use the Jeep site to look up inventory in your area or wherever.

For a Sport, Sport S, or Sahara... I would first be thinking about what rear axle I wanted and if I wanted the select trac option. If going Select trac it'll be a Sahara. If just a limited slip will do than a Sport/Sport S is all that is needed.

Hard top or soft top? Soft is $1195 cheaper

3.6 or 2.0? 3.6 is $1000 cheaper
Auto or Manual? Mnaual is $2000 cheaper

LED Lighting Group $995
Cold Weather Group $695
Trailer Tow Group w/ 4 aux switches $795
Technology Group $995
8.4" Premium Audio Group $1595
Active Safety Group $995
Adapter Cruise/Forward Collision Warning $795
Smokers Group $30

In the end you could find one that has exactly what options you need/want.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
That’s a tough one, as I know why I want for me. There isn’t a magic version. Though if we had to narrow it to color- sting grey is solid.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Since yoh asked...

My first move, personally, would eliminate the Sahara and the Willys. Both of those are mostly cosmetic upgrades.

Next, I'd look to see which of the Sports have A/C and A/T...must-haves for me.

Personally, I want the hardtop, so the Sport with soft top is out.

That leaves two hardtop Sports and the JT. Pick the one that talks to you.

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
The Gladiator is speaking to me at the moment but dont want to act too fast. They look really good with just small lift and 35s. I dont do any serious off-roading.

Sponsored

Morbo101

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport s
Sport S was enough for me without breaking the bank or having things i wouldn’t use in the long run. I just swapped my tires out for rubicon trim and happy with it. I think it comes down To what Fits YOUR needs. Hard top,Power locks and windows were a must for me as I have small children. AC, heater and automatic for the wife to drive around as well. Not a rea regret but color was chosen by my wife. I get compliments on the granite crystal but i think silver billet looks nicer. My first choice was sting grey but was not worth 4k more in the price.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
personally i would just order a jeep with the options you want and not the options you are going to settle for. as for hardtop over soft top get the hardtop you can always order a soft top and have Fed EX of UPS deliver it where a hard top is freight truck only and costs a lot more after words to get one. currently right now a Sport S takes about 4 weeks to get if you order one where a Rubicon is around 6 or more. A Willys isn't just cosmetic only changes it has AT tires, different wheels, LSD rear, LED lights, running boards steel bumpers and the blacked out grill in my book all worth it to have a jeep that isn't like the rest out there. oh and did i mention you can pick the color you want so order one and wait 4 weeks.

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
Custom order.
Agree, dont think this is an option. They have a 30 day window to get it done in. Also it looks like I can get within $1k of my perfect build. Meaning it has 1 thing or missing one thing that Im not that concerned about.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Take the money on a buy-back. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
Take the money on a buy-back. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Trust me I agree. So:
1. not everyone is experiencing the same issues. does the above definition apply if different steps are taken? meaning I take the next one home for multiple days and ensure not having steering issue?
2. If I went buy back route which has not been offered but not off the table - the JK's hold the value so well its hard to convince myself to spend the money on one. And I really would like to stay in a Wrangler or Gladiator.

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
Keeping in mind if I find one I am happy with the steering, I think I come out 2 years newer owing the same amount. Mine was an 18, would end up with a 2020.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
However, the odds of getting another lemon Jeep is pretty high.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
However, the odds of getting another lemon Jeep is pretty high.
That seems to be the case. But, possibly a later 2020 model would have all the quality issues in the steering addressed. Other quality issues....I dunno.
Sponsored