Lemon Law Rights / What Would You Do?

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Long story short, as most of you know I've had a lot of issues with my JLUR. Everything from very, very loose steering to death wobble. Multiple gap issues, speaker rattling, and more.

In case anyone has any information around rights re: lemon laws, or any further thoughts on the below would be greatly appreciated. In short, just got back from the Jeep dealership - I am still trying to calm down from the experience. In short:

1. Called 2 weeks ago to make an appointment at dealership in CT due to dealership in Manhattan (where I keep my JLUR) having very bad ratings. I specifically made multiple calls to ensure that dealership knew I would be driving in, standing by and were aware of all issues to address at same time.

2. Was given a case number by the Jeep FCA account here on the forums. Was told someone from Jeep would call me, no call ever received.

3. I show up at the dealership today at my appointment time of 11:00am. Cut to 11:35am, I'm still standing in the parking lot looking around when technical advisor 1 comes out and tells me because lunch is happening soon everyone will be out and I would be there most of the day. When I asked why my appointment time wasn't being honored I was told "there are lots of issues" and "the appointment time is simply to limit the number of appointments in the day." I told him I didn't understand as I called to confirm multiple times why the appointment was made, where I was coming from and that I would be on standby + not leaving the Rubi. Was then told I didn't care about the technicians lunch and they work hard. This after I drove an hour and a half to the dealership and spent another half an hour standing around. Was also told "this is how dealerships work, everyone knows this."

4. Went inside, spoke to technical advisor 2. Same response - lunch is important. I proceeded to explain the above again - and I'm quoting the conversation:

Technical Advisor: "Let me ask you a smart question. Why didn't you bring the Jeep back to where you got it from?"

Me: "The Jeep dealership I purchased my Jeep from is far."

Technical Advisor: "Well, why didn't you buy it here?:

Me: "I'm not sure why that makes a difference or addresses the issues I'm having, both with the Jeep or now my appointment.

5. Long story short, closer to noon technician finally comes out after I told them I would take it up with Jeep directly. Asked for my Jeep back and was told to go for a ride. Technician acknowledged there was a lot of play in the steering wheel, and most likely bad dampener due to wobble. Other items not addressed on ride.

Finally get back, stand around some more and the manager comes out - tells me answers to issues which aren't all correct. I.E. fairing on right needs to go to body shop to be adjusted because of light bar install, which has nothing to do with the light bar.

If you were in my shoes - what would you do? I do not want to go back to the same dealership, at same time Jeep is now not responding to my PMs even though they're online. I messaged them immediately when all of the above started to happen to no avail. If I go elsewhere will be more wasted hours - having to first diagnose before ordering anything.

Cannot believe this is the experience with Jeep these days - officially the last time. Since 2005 I've had Rubicons and I cannot wait to get out of this one fast enough.

I cannot believe as we approach 2019 - when you have issues with a vehicle with a $52K window sticker price companies will say things like "let me ask you a smart question."
Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I would go to a certified mechanic to get his/her opinion on the problems. And then go to another dealer to have them look over the problems and to go over what will be covered under the warranty. In fact, I would go to an attorney that deals with consumer problems and has a mechanic he uses for legal matters.

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I have a friend who had an M5 and was really trying to avoid going through what he went through. Granted, with a $1,200 a month lease and dashboard that lit up like a Christmas tree with issues every start he truly had problems - but the amount of time he spent in court and with attorneys was egregious. At this point, and I really hate saying this I just want out of this JLUR and out of Jeep.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Man I’ve been where you are and had to call ahead and tell the service manage to keep the service writer away from me when I got my truck or I was going to beat him bad. I’ve never been talked down to so much by someone and I lost my mind. I’m a grown man and will not tolerate that level of disrespect. I’d try your local Manhattan dealership. Since it’s close atleast you won’t me out much of the ratings are correct. I wouldn’t go back to that place. To this day, mind you it’s been 2 years, if I see him around I’m going to jump on him.

Brett

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I just don't get it. As I told @JeepCares via DM - this isn't even an issue over a poor dealership experience but an issue around basic humanity. If any of those technicians that talked to me the way they did today put down $50K on a car, house, or whatever and were spoken to the way I was they would have a fit. It's almost 3:00pm, and I still cannot get over someone's response to all of this concluding in asking me why I didn't take my Jeep back to where I bought it from.

I'll update everyone on next steps and what happens but truly unbelievable experience. As someone else said, I could not have done more to call ahead, call multiple times and ensure everyone at the dealership knew of all issues.

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Ask to speak to the general manager, name names, and then threaten to call the Better Business Bureau, leave bad online reviews, and mention that you will also post here and other Jeep forums about the dealership. Threatening to also contact Jeep Corporate should also help.

It really sounds like you just need a few things fixed in your Rubi and then you can go on being a happy Jeeper. Don't let the stealership experience sour the entire brand.

If you really do want out...you can probably find someone willing to pay near full price for a relatively new Rubi...once you have the issues fixed.

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Ask to speak to the general manager, name names, and then threaten to call the Better Business Bureau, leave bad online reviews, and mention that you will also post here and other Jeep forums about the dealership. Threatening to also contact Jeep Corporate should also help.

It really sounds like you just need a few things fixed in your Rubi and then you can go on being a happy Jeeper. Don't let the stealership experience sour the entire brand.

If you really do want out...you can probably find someone willing to pay near full price for a relatively new Rubi...once you have the issues fixed.
All things I'm considering - as a business owner myself I'm always wary of doing this as I know that there are experiences and things out of control of the manager, owner of the establishment, etc. At a minimum, I would have thought Jeep corporate would have reached out given @JeepCares getting play by play messages from me while I was at the dealership.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All things I'm considering - as a business owner myself I'm always wary of doing this as I know that there are experiences and things out of control of the manager, owner of the establishment, etc. At a minimum, I would have thought Jeep corporate would have reached out given @JeepCares getting play by play messages from me while I was at the dealership.
Customer service surveys are serious business to dealerships. I recommend talking to the GM and let him know how his dealership is being ran. It is his business and as long as he believes in leading from the front and extreme ownship he will own it

Brett

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Customer service surveys are serious business to dealerships. I recommend talking to the GM and let him know how his dealership is being ran. It is his business and as long as he believes in leading from the front and extreme ownship he will own it

Brett
I’ll give Jeep corporate today to get back to me before I truly start pursuing anything

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll give Jeep corporate today to get back to me before I truly start pursuing anything
They won’t do anything as each dealership is independently owned and operated. Hit them where it counts and in their potential pocket books. You took your business there because of the reviews of the local one. You have more power and deserve more respect than you’re receiving.

Brett

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I have another idea: Go to the local news station that deals with consumer complaints and confronts the managers/owners. Negative publicity will get their butts moving in the right direction I would hope.

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
Not for nothing but the OEMs are basically closed down until after the first of the year. Virtually no one is in the office in Auburn Hills right now.

EDIT: And with use it or lose it vacation time, a lot of people were out before the end of last week. Basically getting anything done this time of year with corporate is going to take even more time than normal.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have another idea: Go to the local news station that deals with consumer complaints and confronts the managers/owners. Negative publicity will get their butts moving in the right direction I would hope.
Probably faster than Jeep FCA...

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Sounds like I have nothing to do until the new year - happy 2019!

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Trade it in somewhere. Everyone there needs a beating. No use in wasting any additional time with them.
Sponsored