Sponsored

LEMON - Axle Locker Issues - Dead Miss with Service Engine Light

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Houston, we appear to have a lemon! Our issues with the 2018 black on black JLU Rubicon began shortly after taking ownership, with the dreaded death wobble. After multiple stays at the dealership, and numerous "fixes" attempted, the problem was ultimately remedied with a Fox steering stabilizer. It looks like Jeep has to use aftermarket parts to correct issues that its engineers cannot.

After that we blew an oil cooler, while in the garage thankfully, and back to the dealership it went. This was a relatively quick fix for them, since you could actually see the problem, and where the oil was pouring from. I, as a published shade tree mechanic even spotted this one!

We then started a new journey with the wonderful Stop/Start system that seemed to have a mind of its own. After several attempts to repair it, the dealership disabled the Start/Stop system and we were on our way again. While I detest the Start/Stop feature, it seems a bit unreasonable that the only fix for ours was to disable it completely. With that being said, we were glad not to have to deal with it for a while.

Fast forward to this past March. The Service Axle Locker System message began to appear at random times. Back to the dealership we go! They notified us that the part to correct the issue is on back order, but that the vehicle is safe to drive until it arrives. Safe, but terribly annoying, since the message and its associated warning sound now goes off every two to five minutes. Several months pass with no part and no resolution. The Jeep is driven less and less due to the sheer annoyance of the warning message. It might however make for great drinking game under different circumstances!

Now we arrive at August 19th. My wife was a few miles from the dealership when the the service engine light began flashing and the vehicle acquires a dead miss. She limps it in while sputtering and running at reduced power. Great news, they will get on it immediately, and by the way, your parts for the axle locker have mysteriously arrived. We never received a call that they were in, but hey lets kill two birds with one stone!

Stick around...here comes the fun part. The dealership replaced the spark plugs (at 40k miles) and said the problem with the service engine light/sputtering engine was resolved. However, they stating that the mystery part didn't remedy the Service Axle Locker System unavailable message. More parts were ordered and tried to no avail. Jeep doesn't even know how these things are supposed to work undoubtedly. Must be a little Jeep magic in there that got out!

The day comes! Two weeks later, we receive the glorious call that everything has been sorted out. No lights, no problems, no worries! But hold on a minute...we arrive at the dealership to retake ownership of our "little piece of American heritage" and do not even make it off the lot without the Service Axle Locker System message coming on again. Bad days my friends...bad days.

A total of 36 days later, we were called to pick up the Jeep yet again, and promised that everything was great. "We drove it for like 70 miles" they stated with joy and hope in their voice. Amazingly, when we picked up the Jeep the axle locker light stayed out and everything appeared to be in order. However, when we returned home with the vehicle I noticed that the dealership neglected to install the fender liner retainer pins on both front fenders. I called the service manager to inform him that these were left off and would have to be replaced. He agreed and apologized for the inconvenience. We are best friends now!!

Less than 48 hours later...our hearts and the Jeep break again! The service engine light begins flashing and the vehicle once again has a dead miss, sputtering, with massive power loss. There is also a message that the Start/Stop system is unavailable and requires service. Crap!! I was glad to have this wonderful feature disabled last year, but it is back like a bad rash! We immediately park it and reach out to the service manager to get it back in yet again. I don't know if the friendship will survive.

I'll keep you guys posted, as this is one the only ways to vent my frustrations. Owning a “top of the line” Rubicon that we can’t trust to make it across town, much less take on a road trip is truly laughable. At least I hope we can someday laugh about it! Maybe that will be when it runs long enough to trade in. But I don't know if I want anyone else to enjoy this Jeep as much as we have!

Have a great day!
Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Man, that’s a ruff time, sorry for your luck. I’m interested to I see how this plays out. If you don’t mind me asking, what engine transmission combo do you have?

OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, that’s a ruff time, sorry for your luck. I’m interested to I see how this plays out. If you don’t mind me asking, what engine transmission combo do you have?
Thanks for the support! It's the 3.6 with an automatic transmission. I'll do my best to keep this thread updated. This is our 3rd Jeep, and the worst...by far!

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
The start stop issue usually requires replacement of BOTH the main battery and the secondary/auxiliary battery. They probably did a reflash of your PCM during one of the other fixes which turned your start/stop system back on. In truth I'm really surprised a dealership disabled it. Common feature of aftermarket devices, but not dealerships.

OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The start stop issue usually requires replacement of BOTH the main battery and the secondary/auxiliary battery. They probably did a reflash of your PCM during one of the other fixes which turned your start/stop system back on. In truth I'm really surprised a dealership disabled it. Common feature of aftermarket devices, but not dealerships.
Honestly, I felt the same way at the time, but was just glad to have it back on the road, even for a short stint. I know that they did a PCM reflash to try and clear the axle locker issue. That's when the start/stop system came back online. Mopar has reached out to us, so hopefully this will gain some traction. We have loved all of our Jeeps, but just can't trust this one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE 9/30/2021 The Circus is Still in Town
The dealership contacted us to say that they have found a bad coil and spark plug. It turns out that they only replaced one of the plugs last month, even though I was told over the phone that they had replaced all of them. Who does that?? And they never even checked the coils.

I am being told that the coils and plug will not be covered under powertrain warranty. Due to the constant back and forth, not to mention a few lies here and there, I have decided to let Mopar and the dealership swing at each other for a while.

They have now been in possession of the Jeep for the better part of a month and a half.

Thankfully we have a spare car, but I hate to think of what most people would have to do in a case like this. If this was our only mode of transportation we would be screwed.

Any thoughts out there in forum land??

Last edited:

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I've got an 18 JLUR also and I've been frustrated with the steering and 8.4 radio issues but, fingers crossed, they have been resolved for over 6-8 months thankfully. I had a 10 JKUR and it was never in the shop except for recall issues... Two completely different Jeeps in every aspect, some good and some not so much.
As far as the issues with your coil and spark plugs, someone else on the forum made a great point... The "new" mechanics are actually only technicians, they plug the vehicle in, read the codes and that's what they fix, there is no "troubleshooting" anymore trying to track down possible gremlins. For that I think you have to pick an independent shop that specializes in off-road vehicles and is familiar with the Jeeps issues. Your axle issues sound like your need a whole new axle because the locker actuator got oil in it. It's a known issue
and instead of replacing the small electronic piece they replace the entire axle. I potted mine 10k miles ago and no issues so far. Good luck with yours, I hope the dealership and Mopar get their shit together and take care of you.

CincyJLRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I always read “lemon” posts with a serious amount of skepticism but you sir have a legit argument. Each state is different and it generally only applies the first 18 months but I applaud your patience and attitude. I’d probably find a different dealer. Give them one more chance and perhaps trade it in if lemon law doesn’t work.

OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always read “lemon” posts with a serious amount of skepticism but you sir have a legit argument. Each state is different and it generally only applies the first 18 months but I applaud your patience and attitude. I’d probably find a different dealer. Give them one more chance and perhaps trade it in if lemon law doesn’t work.
Thanks CincyJLRubi! I have had to find my sense of humor again during this process to stay sane. You are correct, we are past the lemon law/buy back window at this point. Mopar is currently working on an incentive for us if we decide to trade in for another Mopar family vehicle. We should hear back from that this week. I just don't know if I have enough faith in the brand to buy another vehicle from them. One caveat if that happens, is that we will be changing dealerships. Just because a dealership is convenient to home means nothing to us at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got an 18 JLUR also and I've been frustrated with the steering and 8.4 radio issues but, fingers crossed, they have been resolved for over 6-8 months thankfully. I had a 10 JKUR and it was never in the shop except for recall issues... Two completely different Jeeps in every aspect, some good and some not so much.
As far as the issues with your coil and spark plugs, someone else on the forum made a great point... The "new" mechanics are actually only technicians, they plug the vehicle in, read the codes and that's what they fix, there is no "troubleshooting" anymore trying to track down possible gremlins. For that I think you have to pick an independent shop that specializes in off-road vehicles and is familiar with the Jeeps issues. Your axle issues sound like your need a whole new axle because the locker actuator got oil in it. It's a known issue
and instead of replacing the small electronic piece they replace the entire axle. I potted mine 10k miles ago and no issues so far. Good luck with yours, I hope the dealership and Mopar get their shit together and take care of you.

Friday 2322, we were that same as you were in regards to your 2010. We owned a 2015 Sahara Unlimited that gave us no issues short of a battery that went out under the bumper to bumper warranty. We were tickled to move up to the JL when it arrived, but in hindsight probably should have waited for the litany of bugs to be worked out before moving to a new bodystyle/platform.
You are correct in regards to the service techs now. There is no knowledge base gained from years of mechanical experience, and no troubleshooting skills to speak of. Just the ability to read a scan tool and check the system for TSB's. Months of the dealership trying to apply the cheapest and easiest fix is why I'm here. If you are going to build vehicles, please make sure that the dealership's service department's have the means and methods to repair them. Preferably in quick order.
I have steered them towards the axle replacement since March, and I'm sure that they wish that they had started there. At this point we're looking to trade the vehicle in, that is, if we can ever get it back in our hands! ;)

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
UPDATE 9/30/2021 The Circus is Still in Town
The dealership contacted us to say that they have found a bad coil and spark plug. It turns out that they only replaced one of the plugs last month, even though I was told over the phone that they had replaced all of them. Who does that?? And that they never even checked the coils.

I am being told that the coils and plug will not be covered under powertrain warranty. Due to the constant back and forth, not to mention a few lies here and there, I have decided to let Mopar and the dealership swing at each other for a while.

They have now been in possession of the Jeep for the better part of a month and a half.

Thankfully we have a spare car, but I hate to think of what most people would have to do in a case like this. If this was our only mode of transportation we would be screwed.

Any thoughts out there in forum land??
Coils should 100% be covered under the powertrain warranty. Spark plugs are like brakes and considered wear items. Coils don't "wear". Contact @JeepCares and see if they can get involved

OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coils should 100% be covered under the powertrain warranty. Spark plugs are like brakes and considered wear items. Coils don't "wear". Contact @JeepCares and see if they can get involved
I agree with you! But after a few days of back and forth with both the dealership and Mopar (we have a case file open on all of these repairs) they are of the opinion that the coil packs are not covered under the powertrain warranty.
Quick question. Is @JeepCares the same as contacting Mopar? If not, how do I include them in a thread like this?
Thanks so much for everyone's input and suggestions! It's nice to know that we're not in this by ourselves!

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I agree with you! But after a few days of back and forth with both the dealership and Mopar (we have a case file open on all of these repairs) they are of the opinion that the coil packs are not covered under the powertrain warranty.
Quick question. Is @JeepCares the same as contacting Mopar? If not, how do I include them in a thread like this?
Thanks so much for everyone's input and suggestions! It's nice to know that we're not in this by ourselves!
Not sure if it's the same as contacting mopar. I don't think so. They should be getting notified because we included @JeepCares in the message. You can also PM them and give them a link to this thread.

OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if it's the same as contacting mopar. I don't think so. They should be getting notified because we included @JeepCares in the message. You can also PM them and give them a link to this thread.
Thanks for the information. I sent @JeepCares a PM and we'll see where it goes. Have a great day!

OP
OP
JG2018JLUR

JG2018JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to thank everyone that has viewed and commented on this thread. It gave me a place to vent and made it a little less frustrating. Now for the final chapter of our Jeep saga.

We were contacted by the dealership on the evening of Monday, October 4th and told that the coil pack had been replaced and the Jeep was ready. We picked up the Jeep the next day, and to our surprise everything appeared to be in order. That was not to last.

We made it to Thursday morning, October 7th, when my wife went to make a right hand turn onto a busy highway. The Jeep stalled, thankfully before she made it onto the highway, but it still startled her nonetheless. The Jeep cranked again after being placed in park, and that's where the fun picked back up. The infamous Start/Stop system went out again! This system has been serviced on at least three separate occasions, but I digress.

Upon arriving home for work I immediately took a picture to the error on the dash and sent it to our Mopar case manager. Here was the response I received:

"Hello this is J****** with Stellantis customer care. I do apologize that your vehicle is not fixed yet. I am still waiting on your CDI to get approved. I did reach out to the dealer Champion and unfortunately we can not bring the vehicle back to them for repair assistance. We will have to try and find another dealer.

Kind Regards,
J******"

At this point I see that we have been "fired" as a customer. This is a first for us. I have a copy of the email printed and framed in my office for posterity.

Here is my very brief and pointed response:

"J******,

That's very classy of one of your service departments. They are too inept to resolve the issues, so they kick the customer down the road. Are you starting to see where our frustrations began?"

JG

Mopar offered to assist in finding us another dealer, and also gave us a control number so that we would receive a discount on a new Mopar vehicle should we want to trade the Rubicon, but at this point we were done.

There has been a Jeep parked in our driveway since 2004, but that is no longer the case.

We decided that due to the lack of response from both our dealer and Mopar, poor vehicle workmanship, and terrible service, we were not interested in owning another Mopar product now, or in the future. Jeep managed to lose a customer of 17 years. We immediately ordered a 2022 Toyota 4Runner and took possession of it last week. The lemon is officially gone, and I can't tell you how nice it is to finally be back behind the wheel of dependable vehicle.

Thank you all for the support, tips, and insight that this forum has provided over many years of Jeep ownership. I wish you the best in your travels both on and off road! JG
Sponsored