Sponsored

Legitimate question to diesel owners....

OP
OP
kingpinJL

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
Just to be clear, you weren't looking for an opposing point of view when you posted in the Diesel section of this forum, were you? :)

You'll get honest assessment, but I'd be surprised if anyone points you at a 2.0T.
looking for an honest assesment. basically do i get a fully loaded diesel willys, or a 2.0T rubicon?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
looking for an honest assesment. basically do i get a fully loaded diesel willys, or a 2.0T rubicon?
I haven't heard anything that should dissuade you from the diesel. If you are like me, you'll kick yourself every time a JL Diesel goes by if you opt for the gasoline engine. But, then again, I'd go for the 3.6 over the 2.0T if the diesel wasn't available. I know that people are happy with the 2.0T, but I still can't get my head around a 4-cylinder Jeep.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
If you plan on mostly long highway trips get the diesel. If you plan on mostly staying local get the 2.0.

I chose the diesel because anywhere that I was interested in going was at a minimum 150 miles away from my front door with most (80%) of the trips I knew I would be taking being between 250-1000 miles away.

The Average distance of where you will actually take your jeep should be the determining factor on which engine you chose so look at where you want to go and what you want to do.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Average distance of where you will actually take your jeep should be the determining factor on which engine you chose so look at where you want to go and what you want to do.
There is absolutely a practical side to this, but there is an intoxicating side as well that you won't get with a 3.6 or a 2.0T. That's the part you will miss. And...this is from someone who has only test driven and is still waiting (impatiently) to place a 2021 order.

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
is it worth it?

i'm trying to decide between a willys diesel and a rubicon 2.0, and i'm having a hell of a time deciding....
I've waited for two years for this option to be available, probably for other reasons than most. First my wife and I do a sh*t load of traveling in our Jeep. We also haul an off road trailer (BoreasXT) which we probably spend 80-90 nights a year in. I have been blown away by the difference between the 2016 engine and this one. Recently got back from a 1700 mile 2week trip with 30 percent hauling the trailer and got 26miles/ gallon granted most on highway ( not freeway) driving. The power on climbs is unbelievable from what we were dealing with before. Now, let me be clear, it has not been without some issues. First, on our initial first trans state trip, we did throw a engine code that required the dealer to replace a part, and second, our DEF fluid useage has been well beyond what our expectations were. DEF is cheap and we have learned that we may use more. Well worth it in our minds. We are planning on many more +1000 trips this year with a planned trip to Alaska next year. Hopefully all issues have been resolved by next year. I would do it all over again. I love this engine, so far. I hope to get several years of life out of this engine, only time will tell.

Sponsored

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I defer to your own personal assessment for which trim level to go with, but, if you are attempting to hit the 6,000LB threshold as a business owner for tax purposes under Section 179, only the fully loaded 4-Door Rubicon trim w/ Diesel engine will get you to the GVW you need to qualify. Just throwing it out there as it could make a difference/pay off from a cost perspective for the added trim level.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I've waited for two years for this option to be available, probably for other reasons than most. First my wife and I do a sh*t load of traveling in our Jeep. We also haul an off road trailer (BoreasXT) which we probably spend 80-90 nights a year in. I have been blown away by the difference between the 2016 engine and this one. Recently got back from a 1700 mile 2week trip with 30 percent hauling the trailer and got 26miles/ gallon granted most on highway ( not freeway) driving. The power on climbs is unbelievable from what we were dealing with before. Now, let me be clear, it has not been without some issues. First, on our initial first trans state trip, we did throw a engine code that required the dealer to replace a part, and second, our DEF fluid useage has been well beyond what our expectations were. DEF is cheap and we have learned that we may use more. Well worth it in our minds. We are planning on many more +1000 trips this year with a planned trip to Alaska next year. Hopefully all issues have been resolved by next year. I would do it all over again. I love this engine, so far. I hope to get several years of life out of this engine, only time will tell.
Let me know when you get up here. Unlimited number of places to see and wheeling to be done but I can point you to a number of standouts on the list.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
Just another perspective... I like the manual transmission...

Concrete King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I love my diesel. Happens to be in a Superduty. I love my Wrangler, too! If I had ordered a Wrangler I would have opted for the diesel but I stumbled on exactly (other than the engine) what I wanted on a lot and bought it the same day.

Sponsored

Black_Dog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 4-Door Rubicon Recon (Granite Crystal)
is it worth it?

i'm trying to decide between a willys diesel and a rubicon 2.0, and i'm having a hell of a time deciding....
I had been waiting on the diesel Wrangler for many, many years. When it came down to it, I passed, getting the Rubicon Recon 2.0T w/eTorque. I was apprehensive about this engine but after 7K miles I could not be happier.

I passed on the diesel because it added no improvement to towing capacity and I would have to drive it 200k miles before recouping the hefty price premium.

In your situation I would not want to give up the lockers, sway bar disconnect, 4:1 low range, etc. that comes with the Rubicon to get a Willys with diesel. I would only make that choice if I were planning to get massive tires and replace the stock 4WD bits that the Rubicon comes with.

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I am happy with my 3.6/8 speed. I would not choose the 2 liter. The diesel, maybe, depending on usage and cost differential.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I passed on the diesel because it added no improvement to towing capacity and I would have to drive it 200k miles before recouping the hefty price premium.
I suspect that many of us (myself included) are eschewing the practicality and making a subjective decision. For me, it's all about torque and effortless power.

oalvarez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JULRDiesel. Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Macan, Porsche 993
It’s worth at least $1 each time you push the ignition button and head off. Maybe even two.

Love the analog nature of it. Tractor like. I‘d definitely do it again.. Looking forward to getting it out on the trails.

Black_Dog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 4-Door Rubicon Recon (Granite Crystal)
I suspect that many of us (myself included) are eschewing the practicality and making a subjective decision. For me, it's all about torque and effortless power.
Agreed. And it has everything to do with what the owner wants to do with it. I live in the mountains of Utah. I climb 1500 vertical feet In commuting home from work every day. I have to say that the 2.0T gets up the mountains quite effortlessly, turning stock Rubicon 33” M/T tires. But if I got a lift and ran 40” tires it would be a different story—I’m sure I would be dying for a diesel.
Sponsored