Legal in NM, CO, UT, and WY???

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I personally wouldn't worry about it much but the cop is paid to follow his state laws.. If you are not required to wear a motorcycle helmet in your home state of Arizona doesn't mean you won't be charged in Ohio if riding without one .
Helmets are not modifications to the motorcycle. Those aren't even the same issue. I don't register my head with the DMV and slap a state tag on my butt. Although I should wear a mud flap for everyone's safety
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yea. I stay away from Salt lake. keep my activities in the South of the state
Not a bad idea! I get down there about 10x a year and I’ve never had any issues with it on any of my Jeeps, even my last one which had tires sticking our fairly far. But, to answer OPs questions, he’ll be kidding himself if he doesn't think UHP . They are everywhere—even in Moab. Most, and I would say are cool and won’t bother you, but it seems like it comes in waves.
Yea. I stay away from Salt lake. keep my activities in the South of the state
Same highway patrol. It’s only a 3 hour drive.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Keep in mind....police forces are as much about revenue generation in the capacity of traffic enforcement as they are public safety.

There is a LOT of money to be made for a municipality or state from these low level violations AND, just as importantly, it opens the door to have "conversations" with the offenders where they may be able to interdict drugs, find cash that they can legally steal under civil forfeiture statutes, etc. or in the case of your PA example...confiscate a vehicle which the owner will have to pay handsomely to recover.

It's a racket, but it's one that the people of the states involved have allowed to occur. You get the government you deserve.
agree. and it happens every year when the truck show comes to town. this just doesnt apply to trucks and other 4x4s. when a hot rod show comes to town, the cops will keep an look out for any violators. not as bad as a truck show. btw i'm in ny not pa.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Stay out of pa. That was my solution. I had a lot of problems with my lifted truck in that state. They make up the rules as they go along , very corrupt.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
.... They make up the rules as they go along , .... .

To some extent, more or less, all PDs have officers that "exercise their descretionary authority" . Although it seems PA has a rep. Especially Philly.

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not a bad idea! I get down there about 10x a year and I’ve never had any issues with it on any of my Jeeps, even my last one which had tires sticking our fairly far. But, to answer OPs questions, he’ll be kidding himself if he doesn't think UHP . They are everywhere—even in Moab. Most, and I would say are cool and won’t bother you, but it seems like it comes in waves.

Same highway patrol. It’s only a 3 hour drive.[/QUOWell I'll be

Same highway patrol. It’s only a 3 hour drive.
Well, I'll be driving out there in 2 months and it's my luck that i'll get ticketed after talking my smack here on this thread.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Guys, we are taking a trip from MS to YNP this summer. During that trip we will be driving in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. I am running 35" tires on stock wheels with 1.75 Spidertrax spacers and a 2.5" lift. My question is, will I have any issues in these states with this set-up? I do not have aftermarket mudflaps. I know Utah has a law about no spacers but I've also read that the Spidertrax are considered hub extensions and not spacers since they have a different set of lugs. Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
I live in Utah and have run spacers for over 8 years on my JK and now JL. Legally in Utah they are called an adapter and they are legal. A true spacer may not be, but I would never run a true spacer. Your spidertrax will be fine, that is what I use. You have literally the same setup as me. 35's on stock wheels with spacers and same lift. I haven't every had an issue.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm confused. The difference between a spacer and an adapter is that the adapter adapts to a different bolt pattern. A wheel spacer simply pushes the wheel outboard but is limited to the appropriate grip length of the fastener used for the lugs....unless the spacer is the much wider type which has the same bolt pattern of lugs pressed into the *usually* aluminum spacer ring.
A spacer is just a ring you would put over your existing studs to push the wheel out further, you would still utilize your factory lug bolts and nuts. These are very dangerous in my opinion. An adapter can technically have the same bolt pattern. At least here in Utah. I had the same concerns about 8 years ago when I ran them for the first time on my JK and researched it in depth. I ended up contacting UHP here who confirmed they are indeed adapters and legal. Discount tire here in Utah also confirmed this for what its worth.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

Sponsored

OP
OP
jchaisson

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I live in Utah and have run spacers for over 8 years on my JK and now JL. Legally in Utah they are called an adapter and they are legal. A true spacer may not be, but I would never run a true spacer. Your spidertrax will be fine, that is what I use. You have literally the same setup as me. 35's on stock wheels with spacers and same lift. I haven't every had an issue.
Great. Thanks for the insight.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
When you attend Easter Jeep Safari in Moab (for example), they include some of the Utah vehicle laws In their information packet, so that you are aware of the Utah laws, and they do apply to all vehicles when in Utah. One are tires that stick out of the fenders. They specifically make you aware that it can happen.

38912A08-D5B0-4E0A-A948-D82998C57C65.jpeg

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
Lived in Utah and drove all over with big tires and Spidertrax spacers.... No problems.
Had Discount Tire for tires and rotations with no concerns.
Even towed a travel trailer and never had any issues.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
From a validity perspective wouldn’t restrictions on vehicle mods from out-of-state drivers go against Congress’s commerce clause powers and violate restricting interstate travel constitutional rights (but when have states like CA or NY ever cared about the constitution lol?)
Yeah I've always wondered how it squares with Full Faith & Credit which is what makes my Colo DL valid in all other states.

As for things like front plates, I don't see how they could hassle you. New Mexico doesn't even provide two plates to their residents, so trying to blame a NM resident for no front plate while driving cross country seems virtually impossible.

OTOH it would be good if we could keep New Mexicans within their state lines because they REALLY, REALLY can't drive. Seriously. If I cross down there and use my turn signal that cute blinky light really confuses them.
Sponsored