Legal in NM, CO, UT, and WY???

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
There are so many Jeeps here in Utah with lifts and tires that go beyond the fenders without mud flaps.

Every once in awhile you’ll hear of someone getting pulled over for it, but not too often. Usually highway patrol, but, again, not that common.
Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It does not matter where the vehicle is registered. You must comply with the laws of the state that you are driving in. That said, I think you will be fine. Don’t draw attention to yourself.
Im sure we will all be fine with driving in other states with our Mods but Im not going to comply with the laws in another state by stopping at the state line to take spacers off my jeep. No one is going to change out their Mod's just to comply with a state you are spending tourist dollars in or just passing through. We comply with the laws that our vehicles are registered in, which makes them street legal. The only laws I comply with in other states with regards to my vehicle is the speed limits and other road signs. I will never look up another states laws regarding my jeep and comply with them before i drive through them, Florida is good enough for me. But if I do get a ticket in another state because of my lift or my spacers I will let everyone on this site know. Not being argumentative, This is just my opinion and not the law.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don't know that any of that stuff matters if your vehicle is owned and registered in a state where its legal
100% correct. Laws regarding things like this are only applicable within the state the vehicle is registered in. PA is notoriously known for having laws about wheel spacing, fender flares, bumpers, etc. and I know people that live there who've been pulled over for what I consider BS.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
From a validity perspective wouldn’t restrictions on vehicle mods from out-of-state drivers go against Congress’s commerce clause powers and violate restricting interstate travel constitutional rights (but when have states like CA or NY ever cared about the constitution lol?)

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are so many Jeeps here in Utah with lifts and tires that go beyond the fenders without mud flaps.

Every once in awhile you’ll hear of someone getting pulled over for it, but not too often. Usually highway patrol, but, again, not that common.
I have spent many vacations in Utah and around Moab and i have never seen the police stopping anyone for any type of Mod, only if they are acting stupid and if they stop you for acting stupid they may look for other infractions and throw in a ticket.

Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have spent many vacations in Utah and around Moab and i have never seen the police stopping anyone for any type of Mod, only if they are acting stupid and if they stop you for acting stupid they may look for other infractions and throw in a ticket.
I’ve lived here 15 years. People get pulled over for no mud flaps on modified jeeps. Like I said, it’s not often, but go check the local Facebook groups. You’ll see it a few times per year—and those are just the people who are vocal.

Mostly highway patrol—not usually city police.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve lived here 15 years. People get pulled over for no mud flaps on modified jeeps. Like I said, it’s not often, but go check the local Facebook groups. You’ll see it a few times per year—and those are just the people who are vocal.

Mostly highway patrol—not usually city police.
Yea. I stay away from Salt lake. keep my activities in the South of the state

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I don't know that any of that stuff matters if your vehicle is owned and registered in a state where its legal

I personally wouldn't worry about it much but the cop is paid to follow his state laws.. If you are not required to wear a motorcycle helmet in your home state of Arizona doesn't mean you won't be charged in Ohio if riding without one .

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Agree. States have no authority to make laws that impede lawful interstate travel. It's why states like California can't prevent someone from entering the state with a car with 49 state smog compliance.

But there are caveats. They can cite a badly smoking vehicle or an unsafe vehicle and even prohibit use of the roads for certain things.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That's a little different scenario. Basically it comes down to officer discretion....like most things.

Some states require a front plate. Technically, a cop in a state that requires it, could ticket an out of state vehicle that didn't have one if he wanted to prove a point. Same with uncovered tires, no mud flaps, etc. Any deviation from the state law is an excuse for the officer to pull you over...and then the fishing expedition is underway. If he doesn't like your attitude, you'll likely be cited...so be polite and respectful. You're at his mercy....and he knows it.

BTW, I'm not condoning the behavior....just stating the obvious.
Also agree.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Agreed there too. In AZ, you can make a side by side or the buggy in my avatar street legal (mine was...just didn't re-up the tags when due since I never drive it on pavement anymore since moving to a new area).

I know people who've gone to Moab and Sand Hollow and driven on the highway to trails....and been pulled over by HiPo....which told them to get them off the highway or get impounded in spite of it being street legal in AZ with tags/insurance, the whole bit.

In CA, I've been able to run my tagged/insured street legal buggy on trails in Big Bear (John Bull for example) that apparently won't allow CA's "green stickered" buggies on them. Was unloading in Big Bear on a trail when a Ranger stopped, saw my tag and chatted a bit about it.
Yeah, unfortunately policing is not as black and white as they'd have you believe. LOL.

PYLDRVR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JLUR
I do wonder why CA has rules about green stickered vehicles being on those trails. Is it that they want to keep the street legal vehicles and side by sides segregated? I doubt it's about buggies....but I guess it could be.

I'd like to know their logic.
Near as I can find, the issue was there were no longer any green sticker trails accessing the John Bull trailhead. One web site mentioned trailering your green sticker vehicle to the trailhead but that article was pretty old (2007).

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I do wonder why CA has rules about green stickered vehicles being on those trails. Is it that they want to keep the street legal vehicles and side by sides segregated? I doubt it's about buggies....but I guess it could be.

I'd like to know their logic.
Man, you're asking a lot. I think you'll have to join a particular political party and do a minimum of 5 summers examining Condor poo for lead, before they will share their logic.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
as far as op set up, there's nothing to worry about.

as many of you posted. out of state vehicles should not be targeted as to whats legal or not in the state you are passing thru.

however, i've been thru pa to go to the bloomsburg truck show and the cops will pull any truck that are modded from mild to wild for everything that does not comply to the pa law. thats even if you are an out of state vehicle. pa was notorious in slapping $100 mud flap tickets all day long. at the fairground the cop will have a sign on the road saying " if your truck is not legal to pa law, you are no permitted to drive on the pa roads.". at one point the state was looking into confistating your truck when you drive on the road. most of the guys will not trailer the truck because they drive them.

here in ny, there was a bunch of tucks that run on the road sightly outside the law. and the cops left most of them alone. the cops only pulled a few bad apple over for being stupid. now most of the trucks and jeeps are mildly modded and the cops doesnt bother with them.
Sponsored