Sponsored

LED's not hot enough to melt snow while driving!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
the recess has nothing to do with them icing up. but it doesn't help when they pack up with built up snow.

on another note, i had to run with my headlights off last night in a snow storm. snow was horizontal straight towards the jeep. the glare was so much, i could not see anything but snow.

turning off just my headlights, relying on daytime running lights and low level fog lights, i didn't have as much light, but i could see much better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
the recess has nothing to do with them icing up. but it doesn't help when they pack up with built up snow.

on another note, i had to run with my headlights off last night in a snow storm. snow was horizontal straight towards the jeep. the glare was so much, i could not see anything but snow.

turning off just my headlights, relying on daytime running lights and low level fog lights, i didn't have as much light, but i could see much better.
Of course deep dish has something to do with it, in fact practically has everything to do with it. Low heat emitting LEDs dont help the cause.

You have LEDs? The snow didnt cake up your headlights while you drove?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snip:
Well, I'm in Upstate NY. We got about 9 inches of snow the other day. I drove non-stop .... to destination for over 3 hrs. when it was snowing quite hard. Anyway, I did not know I had an issue with my LED's on the JL and snow, until I came here and read a 19 page thread about it.

Geeez, suck to get old. I drove 100 miles plus in a friiggin snow storm and was not aware I had headlight issues.

I have to call my Gerontologist, there must be a medication that I can take to make me more aware of ............

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
snip:

Well, I'm in Upstate NY. We got about 9 inches of snow the other day. I drove non-stop .... to destination for over 3 hrs. when it was snowing quite hard. Anyway, I did not know I had an issue with my LED's on the JL and snow, until I came here and read a 19 page thread about it.

Geeez, suck to get old. I drove 100 miles plus in a friiggin snow storm and was not aware I had headlight issues.

I have to call my Gerontologist, there must be a medication that I can take to make me more aware of ............

You may be legally blind...thank God nobody got hurt.

Did you travel those 3 hours @ night during snowfall? You may be one of the lucky ones whose Jeep was designed differently and made of different parts than all the rest of ours.

Glad you had no issues

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Titan2727

I have a 2 dr. JL. That must be the reason why I had no problems with lighting in regard to night driving in a snow storm.

Yes, has to be because I have a 2dr. :clap:

Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
Of course deep dish has something to do with it, in fact practically has everything to do with it. Low heat emitting LEDs dont help the cause.

yeah, a little bit. but it was -20 out last night and the snow wasn't sticky, so not much build up, but the slushy crap from the road covered them with a slight frost. the fogs did get a little caked up tho.
so what i meant about the recessed didn't have anything to do with it last night, was because the snow didn't build up, covering them this time, but instead froze them up with a cover of frost.

sometimes it gets too cold for snow to be sticky and cause a build up. hence packing snow or just fluffy, very cold powder snow.

thatREDrubiJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, LED’s don’t create heat and last forever. Brush the snow off yourself

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Guys guys guys, just do what I do. In the snow I just drive in reverse and use the backup camera. It digitally brightens the picture so you can see actually pretty well. I've yet to have snow build up on my headlights this way...

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Guys guys guys, just do what I do. In the snow I just drive in reverse and use the backup camera. It digitally brightens the picture so you can see actually pretty well. I've yet to have snow build up on my headlights this way...
That’s really dumb. Why not just move the headlights to the back and drive forward? Cheap dash cam, inside the car, protected from the elements..... :idea::bandit:man I can feel it, we are into something here. :cwl:

Setanta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2001 TJ. and now a 2020 Gladiator Sport S.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe just some auxiliary halogen driving lights aimed low mounted on the front bumper for emergency situations where the LEDs just aren't cutting it?
That is what I am going to do.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How is this a 19 page thread? No Heated LED headlights? WTF? THIS IS WHAT WE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.