Sponsored

LED's not hot enough to melt snow while driving!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Actually, jeep could change the option to a base jeep with the led no bake with an upgrade to the halogen EZ Bake option. Wadda ya think?
Pass. With any upgrade people need to do their research. While it may not be very common for people to put 2 and 2 together that the LED's would frost/snow/ice up its still on the consumer. Personally I'd never want LED in the first place. HID yes...they put off as much or more heat than halogen's and still draw less power.

Should jeep come out with an additional accessory if this poses to be an recurring issues...probably but at the same time adding a heating element to the bazel will likely damage the plastic grill from heat damage.

Maybe jeep needs a little wiper/ washer added to them. lol.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Pass. With any upgrade people need to do their research. While it may not be very common for people to put 2 and 2 together that the LED's would frost/snow/ice up its still on the consumer. Personally I'd never want LED in the first place. HID yes...they put off as much or more heat than halogen's and still draw less power.

Should jeep come out with an additional accessory if this poses to be an recurring issues...probably but at the same time adding a heating element to the bazel will likely damage the plastic grill from heat damage.

How can you say it's on the customer?!?? If the deep dish design is causing the snow build up along with the fact that LEDs dont provide enough heat then it's on Jeep to make sure the HEADLIGHTS function in snowy weather.

It's a design flaw!

You cant depend on the heat a headlight produces to make a car safe to drive in snowy weather at night that's nonsense.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL

No it won't cause damage they have heated mirrors and a heated rear windshield...I mean we are talking about a temp just over 31° to melt snow. Or even vent heat from engine some how...I have no idea it's up to the designers.

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
HID yes...they put off as much or more heat than halogen's and still draw less power.
Sorry, the laws of physics don't work that way. The energy converted to heat has to come from somewhere.

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
This wouldn't be a problem if Jeep didn't keep the ancient sunken headlight design that's basically a bowl against the wind. Even the CJ's would have done better with their headlights sticking out from the grille. The whole sunken headlights is just one big impractical dumb gimmick which started with the YJ and got deeper and deeper each generation for some stupid reason.
gens.JPG
CJ headlights DO protrude past the grill surface.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
How can you say it's on the customer?!?? If the deep dish design is causing the snow build up along with the fact that LEDs dont provide enough heat then it's on Jeep to make sure the HEADLIGHTS function in snowy weather.

It's a design flaw!

You cant depend on the heat a headlight produces to make a car safe to drive in snowy weather at night that's nonsense.
There's a lot of design features in cars that are not ideal. For example Saharas with select trac, limited slip, and all seasons are going to be better on slushy roads than a fully loaded Rubicon.
Jeep may have overlooked it, but you did as well.

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Bright White
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase

It's a design flaw!

This recessed design has been essentially the same since the YJ. Sure, the bulbs have changed (at the buyer's discretion I might add), but ultimately, I don't think you can put "weather" on FCA or chalk this up to a design flaw. Snow build-up is going to happen, it's a fact of life. No matter the heat generated by a bulb, sometimes conditions are going to be so extreme that nothing can prevent it (on any vehicle). Either Rain-X them, buy some aftermarket solution, or better yet, don't venture out in a blizzard unless you absolutely have to.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
There's a lot of design features in cars that are not ideal. For example Saharas with select trac, limited slip, and all seasons are going to be better on slushy roads than a fully loaded Rubicon.
Jeep may have overlooked it, but you did as well.
No, again, your wrong...Sahara's are built more for the daily driver who wants a Jeep and doesnt plan on doing much off roading. The Rubicon, was built for off roading and rock climbing.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
This recessed design has been essentially the same since the YJ. Sure, the bulbs have changed (at the buyer's discretion I might add), but ultimately, I don't think you can put "weather" on FCA or chalk this up to a design flaw. Snow build-up is going to happen, it's a fact of life. No matter the heat generated by a bulb, sometimes conditions are going to be so extreme that nothing can prevent it (on any vehicle). Either Rain-X them, buy some aftermarket solution, or better yet, don't venture out in a blizzard unless you absolutely have to.
The build up happens in a matter of minutes BECAUSE of the design in light snow. They should have compensated for the design given these JL lights are even deeper.

I could see blizzard conditions being the exception but come on just average every day winter snow?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
What's your point?!
I was replying to Capt-Zoom's post (which I quoted), claiming that HID lights generate as much or more heat than halogen lights while drawing less power.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.