Sponsored

LED warranty period

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
When it comes to electronics the OEM’s are the safer bet for two reasons. First, cars/trucks are systems not simply a bunch of components and only the OEM’s can understand the full impact of a single component on the entire system. Second, the qualification process for any electrical component in a car/truck is truly daunting, I work in the semiconductor industry and understand the depths to which electrical components are designed and tested. I can’t speak for assembly or workmanship errors at FCA but at an electrical component level and/or system design standpoint no 3rd party has anywhere near the resources of the OEM.
I too work in the electronics industry, Medical implantable life sustaining products. I understand high quality and testing/validation etc. etc. etc.

I'm not worried about modding my Jeep. That's what many people do. It's the most modified vehicle on the planet. I have all kinds of aftermarket parts on my JK. Sticking to factory parts doesn't automatically mean the aftermarket product is inferior. There are all kinds of aftermarket parts that are equal to or superior to the factory parts. FCA has a budget, aftermarket not so much. :)
Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
To be clear, my comments refer to electrical components, which are part of an electrical system, purely mechnical items are a very different story and a market well suited to 3rd parties. Years ago I worked in the medical equipment market and while the testing and regulatory requirements were also severe they were very different than the automotive requirements of today. Automotive has the duel challenge of extremely high reliability and very low cost, the later is the bigger challenge. For example if FCA has a $1.50 part fail because of a design or reliability issue they may need to spend millions to recall and replace the faulty component. It’s for this reason that the rigor, at the component and system level is so daunting. The electrical systems in modern cars have also become hugely complex networks and very small variations in current draw or resistance, among other things, can can introduce unintended errors in seemingly unrelated areas of the system.

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
When it comes to electronics the OEM’s are the safer bet for two reasons. First, cars/trucks are systems not simply a bunch of components and only the OEM’s can understand the full impact of a single component on the entire system. Second, the qualification process for any electrical component in a car/truck is truly daunting, I work in the semiconductor industry and understand the depths to which electrical components are designed and tested. I can’t speak for assembly or workmanship errors at FCA but at an electrical component level and/or system design standpoint no 3rd party has anywhere near the resources of the OEM.
You sir, speak the truth.

claytonM80

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Heavy Truck Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Great news.
Hopefully the mopar aftermarket headlights will provide the same results in the Sport. They claim to be same as production.
Are there Mopar headlights available already? I have a new JLUR but impatience got the best of me, so I bought what was available...alas, it did not have LED. It’s my only regret thus far. So, I’m considering a swap of all the bulbs to Diode Dynamics (HID swap on headlights). I’d love it if there was a Mopar option.
Sponsored