Sponsored

LED tail light teardown - Anyone ever resealed one of these?

Overlander21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Overland (UK spec)
My two month old car appears to have a leaking tail light.

YouTube has shown me that removal of the light unit is quite possibly the easiest job in the world, but has anyone then stripped the light unit down and re-sealed it?

This is probably a warranty issue but man... my dealer is a 2hr round trip just for them to look at it, then wait however many weeks for them to get the part in and then another 2hr round trip to drop it off then another 2hrs trip to collect it. All in all, that means I have to take a day off work just for this 😔

If I can fix it myself I'd rather do that, but at the worst I'll go to the dealers.

Any tips for sealing? Any recommended adhesives?

Jeep Wrangler JL LED tail light teardown - Anyone ever resealed one of these? D196E6CC-4A0B-481E-8B9C-612FB8823511
Jeep Wrangler JL LED tail light teardown - Anyone ever resealed one of these? 3366EE2A-22EA-42E8-9106-AC79E2256981
Jeep Wrangler JL LED tail light teardown - Anyone ever resealed one of these? 21F86898-A530-44BE-9877-9DAE622201DC
Jeep Wrangler JL LED tail light teardown - Anyone ever resealed one of these? 4F2B23E5-99C2-4A40-804C-F4B8B2D1BBCE
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I wouldn't mess with it. 2hr trip to have it resolved with a proper replacement sounds better than spending hours figuring out how to do, buying materials and doing the work for something that will definitely void any warranty and might not fix the issue.

I would imagine the dealer could work with you to reduce it to 1 trip.

OP
OP
Overlander21

Overlander21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Overland (UK spec)
doing the work for something that will definitely void any warranty
Yeah that's a risk alright, and I just looked at the price for a replacement (with blindspot sensors) and they're USD$599 each 😱

I might ring the dealer and see if they'll accept photographs as proof and order a unit in advance for me, without me having to drive there.

Not sure what the UK dealerships are like, I'm about to find out I guess 🤞

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I might ring the dealer and see if they'll accept photographs as proof and order a unit in advance for me, without me having to drive there.

Not sure what the UK dealerships are like, I'm about to find out I guess 🤞
yeah that is what I was thinking. In the USA I think most dealers would work with you on this, but I have no clue how warranty things go in the UK
Sponsored