Sponsored

- Led Premium Headlights - Yeah or Neah? - What is your thoughts?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Compared to the JK LED or JK halogen lights?
I only had the halogens...I did install the $900 dollar JW speakers as a xmas present to myself tho..and those were nice.
Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
for Heavy Heavy Snow, in West Virginia and Kentucky, I use Fog Lights only! That seems to do the trick for me.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Historically on this forum, not getting the led lighting group has been the leading regret. That says it all right there.

I have to echo Conner by saying that halogens should go the way of the dodo bird. If LEDs get standardized across the industry, it's a two fold win. The driver can see more clearly, and the roadways can get weeded of those running led bulbs in the wrong housings, no longer blinding others.

As for snow, I've been doing emergency snow removal for 30 years going back to when I was a wee pup. Always in heavy equipment and not getting called in until the push plows were overwhelmed, so I was routinely driving in during the worst of it. Only my last 2, out of a couple dozen personal vehicles, have had LEDs. Only the few cars that had flush headlights were able to stay unobstructed. Any bit of recess allows build up. The only times my halogens could do more than slush out the snow and fill the recess, was at a dead stop with no wind chill. Even then, only the sealed units would fully clear themselves. The halogens in projection housings would only ever burn a hole directly in front of the hot spot of the projected light.

At my below invoice deal, I paid $790 iirc for the LEDs. At full msrp, it's still well worth not having a single incandescent bulb on the vehicle, far advanced form and function, and not having to mickey mouse with system flashes and resistors down the line.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My $50,000 JL came without LEDs. Yeah, yeah, it’s a Jeep thing and all that jazz... Still, these are 21st century prices to have 19th century incandescent light bulb technology.

So I went and got the Mopar LEDs...well, because I like them. However, I found out after the fact, that the halos are not plug-and-play: they require a separate wiring harness and a Tazr Mini to activate them. All in all, it cost me $1,300 ($800 for the LEDs, $200 for the additional electrical wiring installation, $300 for the Tazr) to have the fancy LEDs.

Thankfully, my Jeep has the Safety Group which includes the rear LEDs.

Bottom line is: I like them, but there are much better options out there for $1,300. So, if you think you are going to want them LEDs, make sure to check the box on that factory order.

Speaking of which, I just saw this: apparently DV8 Offroad is the supplier for the Mopar LEDs. Their LEDs look exactly like the Mopars but cost one-third less and, according to the comments, the halos are true plug-and-play.

Had I known then what I know now, I’d have gone with these.

Live and learn.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-offroad/led-headlight-pair-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

Jeep Wrangler JL - Led Premium Headlights -  Yeah or Neah? - What is your thoughts? 1600872833387

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
When I configured and pre order my 2019 back in October of 2018, one of the first boxes checked was the LED option.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Has any one had them in a good snow yet? I hear mixed comments stating they cause white out effect?
I've had mine in a couple good snows so far. Found them to do very well. No white out that wouldn't have occurred anyway due to snowfall rate and wind conditions, regardless of LED vs. halogen light equipped vehicles. Some people have commented previously that the LEDs lack sufficient warmth to melt snow that builds up, but I've found that to be more a product of the deep headlight "pocket" that fills with snow while driving through it than due to a lack of heat from the lights themselves.

Just my opinion.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Speaking of which, I just saw this: apparently DV8 Offroad is the supplier for the Mopar LEDs. Their LEDs look exactly like the Mopars but cost one-third less and, according to the comments, the halos are true plug-and-play.
Whoah, definitely not true. DV8 has bought a copycat version, and are reselling them. I can't say anything to the quality of them, but they are definitely not the same as the OEM ones. The OEM ones are made by Magnetti AL Automotive Lighting. And they have been at the forefront of LED technology in the Automotive industry, and are now working on laser lighting.
https://www.al-lighting.com/company/history/
Sponsored