Sponsored

LED Pods humming, 3 fuses blown.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi All,
Just wanted to get some additional opinions to make sure I'm on the right track.
I have 2 sets (4 pods) of RIGID DSS pods wired up to aux 3 and aux 4. I was getting a bad connection to aux 3 so I tried to redo my wiring yesterday. I ended up getting a loud hum from my pods and my pods wired to aux 3 ended up shutting off (blown fuse) 3 times while I was trying to trouble shoot the issue.

Its my understanding that if there is a humming noise, the primary culprit is a bad ground or potentially a weak power connection, is this accurate? Is there anything else I should check? Is there any concern about 2 sets of wiring harnesses being too close to each other? (I feel like I'm referencing a car audio issue where you run your power too close to speaker wire, but I'm kind of shooting from the hip here).

Any thoughts feedback or recommendations for other things to check would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
if you have an ohm meter, check the ohms for each ground wire from the light to the engine block. the ohms should be low. do this with all power off.

if you read high resistance (ohms) you found a ground problem.

if it's not a ground problem, it could be a weak connection to one of the lights. a weak + connection will cause a voltage drop, which increases amps to compensate. aux3/4 are 15 amp i believe. so if your lights are already drawing 10 amps, it would be easy for a poor connection on the + side to cause an overcurrent.

ditto for a bad ground. could cause an overcurrent.

lastly any short between +/- anywhere along the line will pop breakers as well