LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I haven’t been here that long myself but I came from the Toyota forum so I was aware of what I was getting into. The LED package from what I’ve heard is fantastic though. I think I’d definitely be in a small group of people that are happy with the halogens but I really don’t mind them
The high beams on my 04 cherokee are like a couple of candles. I'm sure the halogens would be an upgrade for me! haha
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I can't say that I spend more time on low beam than high beam. If I'm on a trip in the dark where I'm really concerned about lighting and accidents, I'm usually traveling through remote areas without much traffic at all. I'm not really worried about bright lights for around town where I will be on low beam. Traffic is a little different here. Dunno how that changes suggestions for lighting.

Thank you for the information.
I will say the halogens get a bad rap but on the Rubicon they are pretty good. The factory had aimed mine too high. I adjusted them and upgraded the bulbs, no complaints here.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Alternatively...

You could skip the LED package (as you suggested), and then spend only $40 for a decent replacement headlight bulbs (no hyperflash issues, works well in the projector housing). You also have the option to spend another $60 or so to convert the remaining incandescent bulbs (turn signals, running lights, brake, reverse) to LED as well.

If you want to take at how that might work, here's a post with all the items to grab at Amazon. It's another in-between choice that might be better than sticking with the halogens when you're trying to save money.

If they're still not good enough, get yourself the best when you've got that money! Of course, that assumes that you're willing to get in there and swap out the bulbs.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
This forum can be a blessing and a curse, some ideas will save you time, money, and frustration. Other things will cost you all of that lol. I think it works out to be more savings if you can keep your spending habits in check. The headlights I’m looking at are in the 600s, sometimes they do discounts. You can easily do the swap yourself and save install money.
Ever wonder how many "Jeep insiders" are on here convincing people to buy the factory upgrades? It would probably pay them to have several people boosting their products on here full time. Ok, I'll put my tinfoil hat away now.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ever wonder how many "Jeep insiders" are on here convincing people to buy the factory upgrades? It would probably pay them to have several people boosting their products on here full time. Ok, I'll put my tinfoil hat away now.
I wish I was a “Jeep insider”!

My Sahara came with halogens, so it wasn’t my choice. Regardless, I ended paying a LOT more swapping the front lights on my Jeep to LEDs, than the price of getting front and rear LEDs from the factory. My Jeep came with the Safety Group, so the tail lights were already LEDs; otherwise the total cost would have been ridiculous.

You are free take or ignore the advise of those who have been down this road already. There’s no need for conspiracy theories.

Sponsored

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I wish I was a “Jeep insider”!

My Sahara came with halogens, so it wasn’t my choice. Regardless, I ended paying a LOT more swapping the front lights on my Jeep to LEDs, than the price of getting front and rear LEDs from the factory. My Jeep came with the Safety Group, so the tail lights were already LEDs; otherwise the total cost would have been ridiculous.

You are free take or ignore the advise of those who have been down this road already. There’s no need for conspiracy theories.
Not saying everyone is, but you would be foolish not to think it was possible.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not saying everyone is, but you would be foolish not to think it was possible.
Sure. Ford does it all the time. When it comes to Bronco forums, it has become impossible to tell who’s truly an independent 3rd party, and who is on Ford’s payroll just pretending to be an “independent 3rd party.”

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Hey buy the halogen and then tell us how much to buy led aftermarket and get them programmed lol. LED headlights with halogen fogs, halogen front fender blinkers and halogen taillights will look great lol. But worse they wont be bright... Might as well have a spare on the back with a different wheel than than the four on the axles...

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hey buy the halogen and then tell us how much to buy led aftermarket and get them programmed lol. LED headlights with halogen fogs, halogen front fender blinkers and halogen taillights will look great lol. But worse they wont be bright... Might as well have a spare on the back with a different wheel than than the four on the axles...
Calm down calm down. It was a joke. Lighten up - no pun intended.

Barstool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mercedes GLE 350, 2020 GMC Canyon
ive been a long time Mercedes owner, this Wrangler Sahara will be my first non Mercedes car in my driveway besides my work trucks. Being so used to those cars and their headlights the LED package was one of the first i selected. i could have went with the halogens and then upgraded to LEDs but then thats less money to make my AMGs fast

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I wished my Sport had the LED option for a 1/19/17 build :(

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
From the perspective of someone who's likely driven the same dark, lonely roads you're looking to drive (depending on where in the state you're from), I will tell you that the OEM LED headlights on my JLUR are better than the Morimoto HID projector conversion headlights that were on my old JKR, the Morimoto HID and later the Morimoto LED projector headlights that were on my old '08 Ram 2500, and the Baja Designs Pro lights that are mounted in the bumper of my '02 Ram 2500.

I had plans, when I bought my JLUR, to put some additional KC lights on the pillar or front bumper, like I had done with my JKR. After going with my factory LED's, I've decided there's no extra lighting needed. I've driven 80mph down I-90 in the middle of the night during deer season and haven't even needed to use my brights. The factory LED headlights are THAT good.

Another benefit is the LED fog lights. I put amber covers over my factory LED fog lights and they've been very nice during snowstorms at cutting the glare. No idea if the halogen fogs on the JLs would be comparable with a similar amber cover, but I know the amber LED fogs work pretty well in snow.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights 017
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights IMG_3960
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights IMG_3984
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights IMG_4950
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Package vs Aftermarket LED Headlights IMG_4443

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I think you've all talked me into getting them. If I plan on driving this vehicle into the ground for decades, its worth it.

So if you swap to an aftermarket bumper, how does this change things with the fog lights? Can you move them to the new bumper easily?

Don't know what bumper I could want really, but the full width warn one is very nice and seemingly not to expensive.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I think you've all talked me into getting them. If I plan on driving this vehicle into the ground for decades, its worth it.

So if you swap to an aftermarket bumper, how does this change things with the fog lights? Can you move them to the new bumper easily?

Don't know what bumper I could want really, but the full width warn one is very nice and seemingly not to expensive.
Just depends on the bumper; there are a bunch of aftermarket bumpers that have provisions for the OEM fog lights to be moved over. No idea if the Warn does but, if it does, it’ll likely be identified in the product description from Warn.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Just depends on the bumper; there are a bunch of aftermarket bumpers that have provisions for the OEM fog lights to be moved over. No idea if the Warn does but, if it does, it’ll likely be identified in the product description from Warn.
I can just make sure the bumper I choose has that option in the future.

Thanks!
Sponsored