First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
So I was driving my Jeep up to Vermont this past Friday night. I didn't know it was supposed to be snowing as much as it did, but it was definitely coming down at a decent rate. My problem I was having, which I have had before, was the snow kept building up on my headlights and the foglights. Has anyone had this issue and found a way to overcome it? It got to the point that if no cars were near me, I almost could not see the road. I had stopped multiple times to clear the lights due to had bad the visibility got.
Sponsored

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I also had this happen in a snowstorm in Utah. Slowly the headlights got more and more dim until I realized that I could hardy see ahead. The holes for the headlights and fogs are perfect pockets for snow to accumulate. It turned into ice which covered all my lights completely. I had to chip it out with the back of the snow scraper

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
I also had this happen in a snowstorm in Utah. Slowly the headlights got more and more dim until I realized that I could hardy see ahead. The holes for the headlights and fogs are perfect pockets for snow to accumulate. It turned into ice which covered all my lights completely. I had to chip it out with the back of the snow scraper
That's exactly what I had to do as well. The next day I was filling up my gas and I literally took the handle end of the window washer squeegee to clean my fog lights off.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It's been a common concern & complaint here in the forum. LED's don't generate the heat that halogens do and the stock fog lights aren't any better. Do you have aftermarket fogs?

Snow & ice aren't concerns down here in my parts, but the Mopar fog lights will give you a nice, even tan. I'm on my 2nd set of covers since I left the first pair on & they started to melt before I realized the lights were on.

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
It's been a common concern & complaint here in the forum. LED's don't generate the heat that halogens do and the stock fog lights aren't any better. Do you have aftermarket fogs?

Snow & ice aren't concerns down here in my parts, but the Mopar fog lights will give you a nice, even tan. I'm on my 2nd set of covers since I left the first pair on & they started to melt before I realized the lights were on.
I'm curious, are your Mopar fogs halogen? My LED factory fogs are not even warm to the touch...

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
They certainly are...I paid $580 a while back. They're less expensive elsewhere & they also come in 5"

Oracle_002.JPG
Did yours come with factory LEDs? I noticed the headlights are also aftermarket but the fender lights look as if they are not halogen...

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Did yours come with factory LEDs? I noticed the headlights are also aftermarket but the fender lights look as if they are not halogen...
Only the fender LED's are stock... I replaced the factory LED's with Oracles and the fogs with Baja Squadron Pros.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Only the fender LED's are stock... I replaced the factory LED's with Oracles and the fogs with Baja Squadron Pros.
What was the reason for replacing the headlights?

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
I found some silicon heating pads about 3x10 on eBay. I’m going to install those on bottom side of grill headlight well - on the backside. They heat to about 200 degrees. When I get this done (haven’t even ordered them yet) I’ll report back. Not sure if just heating the bottom circumference of the well will be enough.

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
I found some silicon heating pads about 3x10 on eBay. I’m going to install those on bottom side of grill headlight well - on the backside. They heat to about 200 degrees. When I get this done (haven’t even ordered them yet) I’ll report back. Not sure if just heating the bottom circumference of the well will be enough.
Definitely let me know! Sounds like a solid idea. I know it would probably help a little since most of the problem is when it builds up from there

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Definitely let me know! Sounds like a solid idea. I know it would probably help a little since most of the problem is when it builds up from there
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/premium-heated-led-projector-beam-headlights-jeep-wrangler-jl or
https://www.quadratec.com/p/jw-speaker/graphite-heated

Options galore including a adapter Kit so you can use 7" headlights that have heated elements. LED's are great in clear weather not so much when the weather gets cold and snowflakes fall. Led's are a trade off to look cool and modern vs halogens..You have tons of options. Best part of Wrangler ownership is the aftermarket choices you have..Best of luck..

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So I was driving my Jeep up to Vermont this past Friday night. I didn't know it was supposed to be snowing as much as it did, but it was definitely coming down at a decent rate. My problem I was having, which I have had before, was the snow kept building up on my headlights and the foglights. Has anyone had this issue and found a way to overcome it? It got to the point that if no cars were near me, I almost could not see the road. I had stopped multiple times to clear the lights due to had bad the visibility got.
There's really only one solution that doesn't require stopping. Auxillary lighting. I put a pair Hella 500 Black Magic lights on the bumper awhile back. They are incandescent and won't freeze over. They aren't the brightest lights in the world, but they'll get the job done in those conditions. That's an inexpensive (under $100) solution and they look great.

Since then, I've swapped out the Hella's for Baja Designs LP6 lights. They run pretty hot and will melt snow right off of them. Heck, on the high beam setting, they'll melt the snow on the road in front of you, as well as burn the retinas out of anyone oncoming!

The cheapest solution would be to find some windshield fluid with the lowest freeze rating and put it into a squirt bottle. Then, when needed, pull over and spray the buildup away.

My JK with Truck-Lites has the same issue, but at least the fog lights are still incandescent and provide at least a little relief.

Here are the Hellas. They really are a good solution.
adIctZF.jpg

b0hwPgA.jpg

7evqiZC.jpg
Sponsored