First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 DOOR Rubi
Occupation
CSM, (Chief Sawdust Maker)
Hi everyone is it just me or are we all missing something. When we change our lights out from the factory fitted halogens to LED what are we expecting the outcome to be?
Brighter Yes! Better than Halogens Yes! Green red and blue light and all the other colors not for me, Look nice if you want to mall crawl.
The real truth is that most after market LED's and not effective as driving lights ( street legal) They don't project further, and the light patterns are not constant. so when you change them under these conditions you should be aware of how really in affective they are for seeing on the highway. Please make sure you do your home work before buying.
As for off road plenty companies sell great spots and floods, and will light up the trails like midday sun!
I for sure have learned the hard way, I wanted to change my lights to improve my lighting conditions on normal roads at night, but have been left disappointed and frustrated.
I would welcome all your constructive comment idea's.
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Well all that, and the fact that if you really get down to it......If you are the one on the other end of LED's it's really not great being blinded.. Yeah I know everyone that has them thinks its better.....for them only. If ya can't see well enough with Halogens...........slow down a bit, so you're stopping distance is not farther than you can see.

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
I prefer LED lighting for their electrical efficiency, and the cooler color temperature, which, for my eyesight allows me to see better at night.

Also buying headlights which have their projector or reflector housing specifically engineered for LEDs makes a big difference compared to just sticking an LED kit in a stock halogen reflector housing it wasn’t designed for (and blinding on coming traffic).

Takes a bit of research and sifting through marketing fluff but there are quality aftermarket headlights on the market. Just remember to aim them properly, makes a noticeable difference.

OP
OP
The Foundry man
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 DOOR Rubi
Occupation
Ok first, I have aftermarket full LEDs not kit bulbs and are not in Stock halogens, the point is unless you are buying factory installed LED (i did not) Aftermarket usefulness is limited to brightness only. SO they can't do the same job at least 90% of them they are not clear (aftermarket suppliers) on the performance and most people don't know anyway. so hence the not quite truthfulness .

I have done all the Testing re alightment etc etc. I am a fully certified Electronic Engineer so I kinda know what I am doing, However I and very open to be re educated and that's all part of the learning process.
All I am trying to do is make people aware that they are not all the same and if you change your lights for LED on road conditions of these light are no better in light pattern and length than Halogens, they are of course better in brightness.

I would be happy if someone knows great Aftermarket LED that would fit this profile please feel free to email me.

OP
OP
The Foundry man
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 DOOR Rubi
Occupation
Well all that, and the fact that if you really get down to it......If you are the one on the other end of LED's it's really not great being blinded.. Yeah I know everyone that has them thinks its better.....for them only. If ya can't see well enough with Halogens...........slow down a bit, so you're stopping distance is not farther than you can see.
Hi just wanted to reply Like most people, we all don't like being blind by LED's or other lights for that matter while driving. I take care to make sure alignment is corrected and in the dipped beam mode. As far as Full beam is concerned I am sure we all never leave them on in the face on on coming traffic would be just stilly.
having lights that actually do what they should do has nothing to do with speed.
What is and does make an improvement is the light pattern which is reflected on the road and it does not need to be far, if it works correctly. Most of the aftermarket LED's don't, the companies which sell them are all not the same with the facts of light patterns spread.
Once again I only want to open up the channel of discussion so we can improve. BTW the good suppliers monitor this forum, to see what is going on so everyone who has some input should do the read them!

Please I am no expert but LEDS are one the most frustrating of all aftermarket things we buy

Sponsored

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My LED headlight experience...

After a lot of reading and research, I replaced factory halogens with DOT-approved aftermarket 7" LED's (Ralu Black Bug Eye Bar's) mounted with adapters. A lot of people are focused on factory aftermarket LED's, others are hoping for quality 9" 3rd party selections to come along. I felt like a well-reviewed 7" set was a better solution at that point in time for me. I believe these lights were about $220 (looks like they can be had for around $205 currently), and at the time the adapters were about $130 (I've seen adapters recently as low as $70)--so I have about $350 in my LED headlights. I did put Anti-flicker harnesses in line, I think they ran about $15

https://www.raluled.com/collections...nch-led-headlight-conversion-bugeye-projector

One piece of advice, from my experience--If you go the 7" route as I did, I would highly recommend utilizing an adapter that has built-in adjustment...I was an early adopter, and mine did not...so aim was adjusted by shimming at the mounting screws with washers...not ideal, but I guess I also know the aim won't change.

I took great pains to adjust them for proper aim...My Jeep is lifted with oversize tires, so I knew that I needed to pay extra attention to how the headlights were aimed. There are several methods linked on these forums that can be very helpful. I don't get flashed...at all. When I pull up behind cars at streetlights, they don't have to adjust their rear view mirror...I also watch how close I pull up behind them. These LED's are not in halogen reflectors, they are aimed correctly, and they have a well-focused pattern so they can be directed. So I put a lot of effort into not being a roadway menace.

As @Alanscott1 stated above, the cooler frequency of the light is a soft white, not yellow, which makes a significant difference, probably the single most significant factor for my night vision. They blend quite well with my LED fog lights. They are brighter, and the pattern spreads well and illuminates the road well in low beam. With added high beams, they are tremendously better in spread, pattern and projection than the factory halogens (I have no experience with factory LED's, so cannot comment on the comparison).

As a bonus, running lights and turn signals are supported (not in a halo format...the big circle just isn't what I wanted), as well.

As for the size, they fit the surrounds of the JL grill quite well (I believe at the headlight interface, they measure 7 1/2", and the headlight has a 1/4" trim around the 7" light)...I am content with them both in performance and appearance, all with careful diligence not to offend the on-coming driver.

I do have a 20" LED bar mounted on the bull bar, and now two 2" cubes on the A-pillars--but they are off-road lights, placed to augment the standard lighting to see the unique obstacles presented by off-road- and on occasion, rural-operation.

Just like any other aftermarket item, careful research, a little good advice from those with experience, and personal preference all weigh in heavily to a good decision--at least it did for me, IMO. My thanks goes out
20190101_141120.jpg
20181103_155153.jpg
to those on the forum that supplied valuable guidance.

As always, YMMV--what I prefer may not match what you want, and that is perfectly okay. Good luck!

OP
OP
The Foundry man
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 DOOR Rubi
Occupation

After a lot of reading and research, I replaced factory halogens with DOT-approved aftermarket 7" LED's (Ralu Black Bug Eye Bar's) mounted with adapters. A lot of people are focused on factory aftermarket LED's, others are hoping for quality 9" 3rd party selections to come along. I felt like a well-reviewed 7" set was a better solution at that point in time for me. I believe these lights were about $220 (looks like they can be had for around $205 currently), and at the time the adapters were about $130 (I've seen adapters recently as low as $70)--so I have about $350 in my LED headlights. I did put Anti-flicker harnesses in line, I think they ran about $15

https://www.raluled.com/collections...nch-led-headlight-conversion-bugeye-projector

One piece of advice, from my experience--If you go the 7" route as I did, I would highly recommend utilizing an adapter that has built-in adjustment...I was an early adopter, and mine did not...so aim was adjusted by shimming at the mounting screws with washers...not ideal, but I guess I also know the aim won't change.

I took great pains to adjust them for proper aim...My Jeep is lifted with oversize tires, so I knew that I needed to pay extra attention to how the headlights were aimed. There are several methods linked on these forums that can be very helpful. I don't get flashed...at all. When I pull up behind cars at streetlights, they don't have to adjust their rear view mirror...I also watch how close I pull up behind them. These LED's are not in halogen reflectors, they are aimed correctly, and they have a well-focused pattern so they can be directed. So I put a lot of effort into not being a roadway menace.

As @Alanscott1 stated above, the cooler frequency of the light is a soft white, not yellow, which makes a significant difference, probably the single most significant factor for my night vision. They blend quite well with my LED fog lights. They are brighter, and the pattern spreads well and illuminates the road well in low beam. With added high beams, they are tremendously better in spread, pattern and projection than the factory halogens (I have no experience with factory LED's, so cannot comment on the comparison).

As a bonus, running lights and turn signals are supported (not in a halo format...the big circle just isn't what I wanted), as well.

As for the size, they fit the surrounds of the JL grill quite well (I believe at the headlight interface, they measure 7 1/2", and the headlight has a 1/4" trim around the 7" light)...I am content with them both in performance and appearance, all with careful diligence not to offend the on-coming driver.

I do have a 20" LED bar mounted on the bull bar, and now two 2" cubes on the A-pillars--but they are off-road lights, placed to augment the standard lighting to see the unique obstacles presented by off-road- and on occasion, rural-operation.

Just like any other aftermarket item, careful research, a little good advice from those with experience, and personal preference all weigh in heavily to a good decision--at least it did for me, IMO. My thanks goes out
20190101_141120.jpg
20181103_155153.jpg

As always, YMMV--what I prefer may not match what you want, and that is perfectly okay. Good luck!
Thats a great summary, I hope quake take note $600 bucks very sore experience

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Are we talking LED housings, or are we talking putting LED bulbs into halogen housings?

There's so much misinformation spread about LED lights. Until you try a quality set of bulbs yourself, you won't believe the difference.

Skip to 3:30

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

20190101_141120.jpg
20181103_155153.jpg

Can you show how you mounted the light bar to the bottom of the bull bar? I have the same bumper and am looking to put lights there but the mounting tabs seemed oddly shaped and too high, like they were only meant to accommodate a light bar on top, not below.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Zoomed in view from the pic is attached...I bought stainless steel longer bolts, fender washers and lock nuts. I double-washered and double-nutted, sandwiching the mounting tab. Has held up well.

This is the third iteration of mounting this light bar. First, mounted on top, but didn't like it being exposed. Mounted below, but the bar shadowed the light, and it was a bit too tight against the bar. So, this was the final solution. While black hardware might have been a bit more aesthetically pleasing, I went for corrosion resistance.

light bar mount.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Foundry man
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 DOOR Rubi
Occupation
Are we talking LED housings, or are we talking putting LED bulbs into halogen housings?

There's so much misinformation spread about LED lights. Until you try a quality set of bulbs yourself, you won't believe the difference.

Skip to 3:30

Nope not talking about bulbs or placing them into halogen housings Its about fixed LED in sealed units for aftermarket given the costs charged for them and the Marketing BS around them they are not better Than Halogens ( expect for brightness) and after all they should be better patterned and spread for On road driving, on the off road situation its quite different.
If you replace your fitted Halogens for fitted sealed LED''s you would expect better performance would you not. (except for brightness)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been waiting for the FCA Mopar retrofit kit to come out to install the OEM LED headlights. I have little tolerance for aftermarket headlights. They tend to be less reliable in my experience.

But if you are asking what aftermarket headlights I'd install, I'd have to go with either the current design (J2) J.W. Speaker light or the recently announced J3.

OP
OP
The Foundry man
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 DOOR Rubi
Occupation
I've been waiting for the FCA Mopar retrofit kit to come out to install the OEM LED headlights. I have little tolerance for aftermarket headlights. They tend to be less reliable in my experience.

But if you are asking what aftermarket headlights I'd install, I'd have to go with either the current design (J2) J.W. Speaker light or the recently announced J3.
Yep have to agree, with the aftermarket lights, no better and over priced BS as I say buyer beware! I am so frustrated with most of them I am very reluctant to move forward with aftermarket LED's I will have a look at what you say I am open to better understand this and am now on a mission to do so.
My LED's supplier is not good at customer service or dealing with the issues, other than send them back! that does not fix things for other people. I will post within the next one week who that supplier is, I am currently waiting on a response from them but don't hold my breath.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase

Yup, that’s what I’m doing. I’m not a huge fan of the look of these units (I really wanted halos) but the utility of them and the heating element convinced me to wait.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Hi everyone is it just me or are we all missing something. When we change our lights out from the factory fitted halogens to LED what are we expecting the outcome to be?
Brighter Yes! Better than Halogens Yes! Green red and blue light and all the other colors not for me, Look nice if you want to mall crawl.
The real truth is that most after market LED's and not effective as driving lights ( street legal) They don't project further, and the light patterns are not constant. so when you change them under these conditions you should be aware of how really in affective they are for seeing on the highway. Please make sure you do your home work before buying.
As for off road plenty companies sell great spots and floods, and will light up the trails like midday sun!
I for sure have learned the hard way, I wanted to change my lights to improve my lighting conditions on normal roads at night, but have been left disappointed and frustrated.
I would welcome all your constructive comment idea's.
Great topic here. Two things I wanted to chime in about. I am looking to purchase a 2018 or 2019 JL Unlimited. What's REALLY important to me are the driving lights. With my last 2 vehicles (BMW 3 Series and Mini Cooper S) having the upgraded LED light package, anything less is just yellow and "not bright". By the way, even though my lights were bright and white, I NEVER had issues with anyone flashing theirs brights at me when my lights were in the dimmed mode. So... two questions. 1) Why in the world has Jeep made the LED Lighting package available ONLY on the Sahara and the Rubicon models and not the Sport S? Very BAD decision on Jeeps part. I think they are missing out on $$$. 2) Can the complete factory LED light package (head lights, fog lights, license plate light, etc.) just be purchased and swapped out?
Sponsored