Sponsored

LED Lighting Group on a Rubicon - worth it?

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU

calbake

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t get all the hate for the stock halogens. Out of my three vehicles, the halogens on my Jeep are by far the brightest and I frequently get flashed as if I have my brights on at night because they’re so bright to oncoming traffic. Granted, 95% of my driving is done in rural areas with no street lights, so maybe that’s the disconnect between my experience and everyone else on here. Curious if there’s anyone else here that feels the same as I do about their halogens.

I don’t feel at all as if they’re unsafe or lacking in brightness. I’ll even go so far as to say that I hate seeing cars coming at me at night with LED’s because they’re blinding and make it less safe to oncoming traffic.

You know what they say about opinions though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don’t get all the hate for the stock halogens.
Online discussion forums seem to have the default effect of magnifying elements of the very discussions they're hosting. It's just the nature of things.

That said, yes, some of the vitriol directed toward the factory incandescent headlights is a bit too precious for its own good. Having invested in good LED lighting for a few of my other vehicles, I'll be the first to acknowledge its advantages. I'll also say that the Wrangler's OEM halogens aren't the dim votive candles that some would have us believe. Let us be concerned with the lack of concern from drivers who don't care that they're being recurringly flashed due to misaim and/or distracting light scatter from their LED headlights, even or especially when their low beams are the source of the offensive lighting.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I don’t get all the hate for the stock halogens. Out of my three vehicles, the halogens on my Jeep are by far the brightest and I frequently get flashed as if I have my brights on at night because they’re so bright to oncoming traffic. Granted, 95% of my driving is done in rural areas with no street lights, so maybe that’s the disconnect between my experience and everyone else on here. Curious if there’s anyone else here that feels the same as I do about their halogens.

I don’t feel at all as if they’re unsafe or lacking in brightness. I’ll even go so far as to say that I hate seeing cars coming at me at night with LED’s because they’re blinding and make it less safe to oncoming traffic.

They spent $1500 to see, what they could already see. They're justifying their purchase. The Halogens are perfectly average headlights- not bad, not remarkable. The talk of safety is legitimately scary. Anyone who really finds the Halogens to be unsafe, should probably get their eyes checked by a doctor.

The LEDs are really nice. IMO, not worth the old price of $1000-$1100, yet alone $1500 now, but still really nice. They are way too bright for city driving though. Of course, to each their own, it's not my money or Jeep.

Sponsored

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Curious for those that have it, or tried both in similar night driving conditions: is the LED Lighting Group worth it on a Rubicon?

I see many that go aftermarket LED bulbs instead. $1500 isn't cheap, and I hear it might be a build constraint due to chip shortages... but that's hear-say.
They are brighter no doubt, suck in snow. They don't get hot enough to melt snow off, and in heavy snow/fog you see a bright white moving curtain in front of you from the scattered light.

spinxt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
I did not get the LEDs because, for the money, I'd rather wait and go with aftermarket options with more choices. Additionally, there have been complaints about snow accumulation on the non-heated OEM LEDs, so I would recommend going with aftermarket heated LEDs. And while I don't drive at night all that often, the factory halogens work just fine for me when I do.
I live in PA and I’ve had zero issues with snow accumulation on my LED lights. And, as someone else said, putting LED lamps in a halogen housing is not the correct way to do it. Cough up the cash and get the LED package. I also recommend the safety group…that will get you blind spot monitoring as well as LED tail lamps

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I hear ya on the blinding effect, I always wonder if it was the OEM lighting or something aftermarket or something else. The worst I have encountered is the lifted truck with a billion watts of aftermarket lights on that is overloaded so it is squatting. Feels like I got hit by a light cannon.

The prices are way higher, but in Europe they are rolling out smarter LEDs packages that literally see the road and can cut off the beam when it is hitting other cars....

That said I still love the OEM LEDs on my JLUR, and will always get LEDs going forward.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
My JLU Hella halogens are fine.

That said, I will upgrade to LED's once Hydro Hazel drops, I just won't pay the ignorant price Jeep wants for OEM factory. Obviously any modern vehicle should come standard with LED lighting all around anyway.

I find LED lighting to be:
- Modern
- Blinding
- Cool

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I have always had the halogens, but could not justify the $ for LEDs, looked into aftermarket LEDs, but to me they still don't look as good as the factory LEDS, and not that cheap either. It's not uncommon to see a Wrangler with malfunctioning after market LEDs,

The factory halogen running/turning signal lights, are ugly and the only thing I didn't like about the halogens, they could have used bulbs that filled out the entire housing, they look like if a bulb is missing.

The 4xe came with the LEDs standard, and I like them, the Wrangler factory LEDs to me is one of the best looking LEDs even against higher end vehicles.

Sponsored

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
Food for thought for those looking to stay under budget and maximize the bang for the buck:

The LED Group ($1595) + Leather Group ($1895) is almost = XR package ($3995).

One can always add some after-market LED lights and live with cloth seats if that means getting a factory optioned XR. In my book, adding LED lights down the road or installing customer skins on seats is a heck of a lot easier than a lift with 35s, wheels, and a re-gear to 4:56. The reinforced hinge is a bonus and crowd pleaser.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2-cents worth. My 2019 Shahra has regular lights. They work well but went with the LED package for my Rubicon. Difference is like night and day.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
100%.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2-cents worth. My 2019 Shahra has regular lights. They work well but went with the LED package for my Rubicon. Difference is like night and day.
Shaharas are notorious for having shit lights. :bandit:

I think what everybody is trying to say is that the LED lights are ok and you should get them.
Sponsored