Sponsored

LED Lighting Group on a Rubicon - worth it?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Curious for those that have it, or tried both in similar night driving conditions: is the LED Lighting Group worth it on a Rubicon?

I see many that go aftermarket LED bulbs instead. $1500 isn't cheap, and I hear it might be a build constraint due to chip shortages... but that's hear-say.
$1500 isn't cheap. You nailed it. I got pleb halogens and I still got flashed. They are bright, and differ from the Sahara. I did get Beamtechs and adjusted the beam. No regrets, they are great.
I'm probably an outlier on the tails, but I prefer them over the LED.
Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Instead of try to convince anyone, I would simply suggest the following "test" when someone is thinking of making the bulb swap:
park facing a flat surface at night (20 feet away if possible) - i.e. garage door, or wall of a building
turn on the headlights
put a piece of duct tape on the wall / door that lines up with the cutoff
install 1 new headlight bulb.
turn on the lights and see the difference.
Does it make sense? Actually, you described exactly what I did. :)

Mostly. The only hiccup was that, after reinstalling the new LED light, for some reason I had to readjust the height to match things up again. My verdict (before continuing with both lights) was that the spray of light was near identical between the two.

After all the doom and gloom I read, I was a bit surprised. But who knows? Maybe I'm just a horrible judge of lighting. This is a religious war, and I apparently found a religion that works for me.

Reactions: LCW

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
I decided against the LED lighting package; I like the look of the standard lights better. I had a 2012 Wrangler with halogen and they were fine for me. Plus, if after a few months I decide I need LED, I can buy these : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZDLKT...olid=2A449182LL04A&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For me, it was worth it to save the money, but it's not the same for everyone. My rule of thumb is this... If you think there's a chance you might regret not having LEDs, then get them. It's rare people regret getting something. It's much more common to regret not getting something. If you're not 100% certain, err on the side of the positive action. Based on the fact that you wrote this post and are asking the question... I think you should get them.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Night vision is very different from person to person, perception also factors up the need for light.
Some camp with massive lanterns and flashlights, I prefer the least light necessary for the task.

Not an argument, just a preference... until you draw every insect in from the desert:mad:

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Standard lights in the wrangler are shit. The LEDS are expensive, but at least they work.
If you are spending that much on a car anyhow, in a year or two you will be wondering why you were so concerned with saving a couple bucks on something you use every single days.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
Love the LED package on my '20 Sahara. Conversely, a few months ago I bought my teenage new driver a preowned '18 Grand Cherokee. I was out of the car buying game for some time, wasn't thinking about lighting, and his GC has the stock halogens. Simply terrible. And the GC is really not amenable to being upgraded.

I looked some time afterwards, and there aren't a ton of preowned GC Limited with the LED package, but in retrospect, I probably would have paid a premium to get one with the LED's.

Long story short, I would suggest doing it right the first time, and getting the LED's. You'll forget about the cost quickly.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I am going to agree with most here, the OEM LEDs are great and worth it. I doubt I will buy another vehicle without LED lights.

As I also have the LED tails the only drawback is the back up lights are weak. This is mitigated by the back up camera. In 2017 RAM Laramie I was able to replace the back up light bulbs with a set of amazing LEDs. I was picking up hay at the feed store one night and the poor guy directing me even mentioned they were the brightest back up lights he had ever seen.

Still the entire LED package on my Rubicon was totally worth it to me.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Oracle Oculus are under $600, just saying.

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
You'll forget about the cost quickly.
Boy, isn't that true? Seems sometimes the only time cost matters - or - when cost matters most, is when you're actually ready to part with the cash. I can't think of a single time I pulled the trigger on something I was on the fence about and thought, "boy, I shouldn't have done that..."

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Oh Hell Yes!
Would hate to live without them after having on both my 19' RAM and now my 20' JLR, truly night and day difference.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I am kind of surprised no one has bought up the factory LEDs not melting snow yet? :bandit::LOL:
Sponsored