Sponsored

LED Light option; worth it?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
first post, first question.

i'll be having a Diesel Wrangler built for on & off pavement use, and am pondering the LED Lighting option.

would be curious to hear the experienced opinions as to whether or not they're worth it, if there are any problems with them, etc.
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
The general consensus seems to be that the LED lights are vastly superior to the halogen lights. To each his own but, for me, they were a must.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don't have LEDs. I don't miss them. As it is enough people flash their high beams at me thinking mine are on because the Wrangler rides high...despite my care at making sure their angle to the ground is correct.

But that said, I'm not an off roader--and if you expect in part to be, I would recommend them. That they give off more lumens than conventional headlights cannot be denied.

That said, are you concerned that snow might not melt off them like conventional headlights? I would think not being in CA. Are you in a high crime area where someone might take your headlights for themselves or pawning?

Peace.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
theres plenty of debates about the factory led lights vs halogen lights vs getting halogen lights and either swap out the bulbs to led or a complete led light conversion. the general answers will be: folks will get the factory led because its worth the $1000. other will swap out the halogen bulbs for leds and save the $$$ and get great result. others will get the factory halogen and swap out for aftermarket led lights. so its really up to you what you want to get or willing to pay for. do a search on this forum and read on.

i got a jl sport base model and did not get all the bells and whistles. his kept the cost down. by doing this, i can mod the jl the way i want it. to me a $1000 led light options is not worth it for me. wht i did was swapped out my halogen bulbs to led bulbs with supernova v.4 headlights and fog lights. total cost was $348. the output is great and lights up the road. beam tech is another popular led bulbs.

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
If you are going to pull off the factory stuff regardless then don't get the LEDs I say. Most seem happy with the factory led package. Also don't you have to get the LED taillights to get the safety package? That's an option and then just replace the halogen head lights and fogs.

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
If you're building get them. If you're buying off the lot don't sweat it because there are plenty of great aftermarket options too.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

LED are a must-have on Wranglers. The incandescent lights just suck.

Besides, since you are already going to pay through the nose for that diesel, might as well get every other major option.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Had JK's with stock, KC replacement, and JW Speaker. JL has factory LED. My preference would be the JW Speaker but factory LED is a close second.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I had the standard halogen bulbs on my JK and they were terrible. I upgraded to Silverstars which were a slight improvement before finally buying a set of JW Speaker 8700 LED headlights, they were awesome and worth every penny so when I started looking for a JL LED lights were on my list of must-have's. Now that I have them I can say they are even much better than my JW Speakers. Great color, cut-off and spread.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Have the LEDs from the factory. Worth every penny in my opinion. One thing though. I did add Hella halogen lights to the front bumper for when it snows. Twice I had lost light due to snow packing in due to lack of heat.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I dont have the LED's, but I did replace the original halogens with Philips 9008 H13 +100. They are extremely bright, and under $30. They are on sale now, for $17.80 for two, on Amazon, free shipping. I've had them for almost two years without a single issue. I've used these on other cars/trucks over the years. If one burns out, it is only a few dollars.
How much to replace an LED??

P.S., The Philips 9008 H13 +100, that I replaced the originals with are Halogens. Just very bright Halogens.
Sponsored

Last edited: