LED Light option; worth it?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I put in a set of the 8000 lumen (passive cooled) BeamTech's from Amazon and they work great. Beam pattern hit the garage wall exactly like the halogens, nobody's flashed me yet and if I walk out in a parking lot they don't look like they'd blind anyone. But the light output is so much better. Last two cars had LED headlights, and I forgot how terrible halogens are.

If these don't work out for some reason I'll replace the entire housing with an LED housing instead, but so far these Beamtechs in the factory housing seem to be working great.
Advertisement

OP
OP

zouch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
following up as the OP,...

i ended up getting a Willys Edition which included the LEDs; i am not favorably impressed.
yes, they're bright, but the output is not well controlled below the Low-Beam Cutoff, and i find the light pattern in general to be splotchy and uneven. (i don't care much for the bluish color of the light, either, but that might be chalked up to personal preference.)

had the LEDs not come with this package i don't think i would have ordered them; i prefer the much more even and warm color out of the 20+ year old Cibié H4s i have in my XJ.

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear, i've been a fan of performance lighting for decades. it's not that the factory LEDs aren't "bright"; it's that they don't manage their output in an even and properly controlled manner. poorly manged high-output light is not Good Lighting.

i've had better lights, and seen worse. bottom line, i believe there are better lighting options in the aftermarket (including some LEDs) than the stock J**p LEDs.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Not everybody likes everything. I think the LEDs on the JLs are excellent. In my opinion, they are better than the LEDs in the GX460 we had and our Lincoln Navigator. The only thing that disappointed me about the Willys was that Jeep didn't include LEDs on the front fenders and taillights. Just headlights and fog lights.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Unlike a lot of options that you can get for the JL....the LED option is something that “You Will USE” every time you drive at night.....and you WILL appreciate those bright lights....they make driving at night SAFE ! All the lights are brighter....and the headlights cast bright useable light much further than the standard headlights.
ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT !
same goes for the Alpine 8.4 info-tainment system.....you’ll use it EVERYTIME your driving your JL.....and yes....it’s worth every penny.
as for the other options.....you may rarely use them.
DEFINITELY....don’t pay extra for steel bumpers.

GOOD LUCK.

KevinD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
LED is a great option. The biggest thing I've heard as a big downfall is in snow. Because of the way the headlamps are inset in the grill, in snow, they will fill up and become packed. The LED's don't get hot enough to melt the snow, making it difficult in winter driving and heavy snow.

I live in Wisconsin and don't have the LED's. A friend of mine has a Rubi with the LED's and mentioned this problem last year on a long drive across the state to visit family. They had to pull over several times to clear out the headlamps.
This IS also a problem with incandescent headlights: it's not unique to LEDs. The lamp housings are inset so far that snow will accumulate regardless of the heat from the lamp.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement