Sponsored

LED Light Installation

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Hey All-

I picked up some Heise LED lights from my local 4x4 shop. Hopefully they hold up, either way they will take care of me.

Regardless, I would like to get these things wired up on the Jeep this weekend and admittedly electrical work is my least favorite thing to do, along with my weakest area of knowledge.

The lights I purchased are 24W, a set of Floods and a set of Spots. Is it ok to use AUX 3 and AUX 4 for these lights?

The lights came with wiring harnesses that have a switch, how do I need to wire around this so I'm just using the switch in the Jeep instead?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hey All-

I picked up some Heise LED lights from my local 4x4 shop. Hopefully they hold up, either way they will take care of me.

Regardless, I would like to get these things wired up on the Jeep this weekend and admittedly electrical work is my least favorite thing to do, along with my weakest area of knowledge.

The lights I purchased are 24W, a set of Floods and a set of Spots. Is it ok to use AUX 3 and AUX 4 for these lights?

The lights came with wiring harnesses that have a switch, how do I need to wire around this so I'm just using the switch in the Jeep instead?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
You should be fine using aux switch 3 or 4. They are both rated at 15 amp, and your lights will be way below that.

To wire the lights, you only need two wires. A power wire from the lights to the aux switch wire in the bundle next to the battery. And a ground wire from the lights to the ground post on the side wall of the engine compartment near the bundle of aux wires. The other wires in your wiring harness will not be used if you are using the aux switch. I just cut mine off and capped off the cut ends. I should say that I installed a KC Hilites LIght Bar this way, but I imagine the same holds true for your brand of lights. Good luck.
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Light Installation KC Light Bar 1

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
You should be fine using aux switch 3 or 4. They are both rated at 15 amp, and your lights will be way below that.

To wire the lights, you only need two wires. A power wire from the lights to the aux switch wire in the bundle next to the battery. And a ground wire from the lights to the ground post on the side wall of the engine compartment near the bundle of aux wires. The other wires in your wiring harness will not be used if you are using the aux switch. I just cut mine off and capped off the cut ends. I should say that I installed a KC Hilites LIght Bar this way, but I imagine the same holds true for your brand of lights. Good luck.
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Light Installation KC Light Bar 1
Much appreciated!
From what I can tell I should be able to put all four on a single switch. Appreciate your input here.

I’m guessing there is no need for the relay that is currently on the harness...? Just cut all that off, pull all red wires together and connect them to one of the aux wires. After that gather all the grounds and connect to one of the grounding posts.

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Much appreciated!
From what I can tell I should be able to put all four on a single switch. Appreciate your input here.

I’m guessing there is no need for the relay that is currently on the harness...? Just cut all that off, pull all red wires together and connect them to one of the aux wires. After that gather all the grounds and connect to one of the grounding posts.
On my KC lights, the power wire was white, and the ground was black. If the red wires are the power wires, I think you are correct. You don't need the relay. It is built into the circuitry for the aux switch. I do want to say, I am very new to this. The KC lights were the first I ever wired, so I have very little knowledge. You might want to check with someone else before cutting any wires just in case I am giving you wrong info.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
On my KC lights, the power wire was white, and the ground was black. If the red wires are the power wires, I think you are correct. You don't need the relay. It is built into the circuitry for the aux switch. I do want to say, I am very new to this. The KC lights were the first I ever wired, so I have very little knowledge. You might want to check with someone else before cutting any wires just in case I am giving you wrong info.
I can appreciate that, fortunately I lots of wire so I can fix anything I do screw up. Worst case is that my local shop has harnesses I can buy also.
Sponsored