Andrew2311

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Can you just simply replace the bulbs in the fender lights, head lights, and fog lights to LED bulbs? Or am I missing something?
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you can universally generalize 100%. For modern cars, it's best to be specific with an exact manufacturer's bulb model and a specific vehicle application, else you run the small risk of perceptible flickering. LED bulbs that are "dimmable" flicker imperceptibly to get that lower lumen output (but in videos, you can see the off-cycles as a flicker).

OP
OP
Andrew2311

Andrew2311

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you can universally generalize 100%. For modern cars, it's best to be specific with an exact manufacturer's bulb model and a specific vehicle application, else you run the small risk of perceptible flickering. LED bulbs that are "dimmable" flicker imperceptibly to get that lower lumen output (but in videos, you can see the off-cycles as a flicker).
Thanks, I was looking on Amazon, and they have LED bulbs that they claim "will fit wrangler JL" but I have learned to take that with a whole shaker of salt.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Can you just simply replace the bulbs in the fender lights, head lights, and fog lights to LED bulbs? Or am I missing something?
Fenders and fogs don’t matter, but you’ll need a set that has resistors that mimic the halogen draw so your Jeep doesn’t think there is something wrong.

Headlights you should be cautious about. The stock reflector housings are designed for the light output pattern from a halogen bulb. You can change that with just a replacement bulb and end up blinding oncoming traffic.

If you look at light output from reflectors designed for LEDs (or HIDs) you’ll see it’s designed for a very sharp “cutoff” so that it keeps the output below the windshield of oncoming traffic.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Depending on if the Jeep model had a LED option, you might also need to visit a dealer to flash the computer as well, so the Jeep recognizes the LEDs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andrew2311

Andrew2311

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on if the Jeep model had a LED option, you might also need to visit a dealer to flash the computer as well, so the Jeep recognizes the LEDs.
I ordered the LED package, but that only got me the rear lights LED, I'm not sure why not the front, but maybe in '18 they weren't ready??

Thatguyracing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Door JL Rubicon
Fenders and fogs don’t matter, but you’ll need a set that has resistors that mimic the halogen draw so your Jeep doesn’t think there is something wrong.

Headlights you should be cautious about. The stock reflector housings are designed for the light output pattern from a halogen bulb. You can change that with just a replacement bulb and end up blinding oncoming traffic.

If you look at light output from reflectors designed for LEDs (or HIDs) you’ll see it’s designed for a very sharp “cutoff” so that it keeps the output below the windshield of oncoming traffic.
There is an app called JSCAN, you can get a Bluetooth OBD2 connector that will link with the app. Pay $20 for your vin and you can change things in your computer such as led package, tire size, differential size, and lots of other things. This will prevent your message center from telling you that light bulbs are put when you go to the LED.
Sponsored