LED Light Bars vs Pods

Dethwalkin

First Name
Darryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I got the T-Rex grille insert with the 2” led lights in each of the slots as my first lighting upgrade. I like pods and round lights for the retro look but also wanted the recessed sleek look that’s modern.
FD3CDDDF-DC95-4AC3-BDDE-C38061A7E05C.jpeg
Love this look but I'm just concerned with the over all quality of the piece.
How's the wiring connections? Are they sealed in anyway? Easy install? Did you use one of the 4 Aux switches on the dash? etc. I found this grill on the T Rex site but couldn't down load the PDF install instructions.
I've never had any Cree lights on any of my jeeps so I'm wondering how bright are they really? How would you describe the light pattern; driving/spot/flood?
How is the powder coating? Is it holding up?
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I prefer the look of the light bar.
There is already a lot of round shapes on the front end and I felt the
Rectangular shape helped create a little balance and give a little more industrial
look to the grille.
Plus it got better on my bullbar.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Light bar on the bumper and PODS on the A-pilars.

NOTE: do not waste your $$$ on higher end LED's like Rigid, Baha, Diode and others, The quality on those do not rise to the value , Since most if not all peripheral LED PODS or light bars are not legal for road driving you will turn them on rarely. The main thing that separates low-end to mid range and high end is the fixture body not the LED electronics with some exceptions.

I buy low to mid range LED's however I make sure the seller is accountable to service any warranty.

I have the 17" bumper light bar and the 30" hood light bar and am adding two pilar PODS this weekend for aimable side lighting.

front_zpseeusk2kv.jpg

jjonesx86

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
I went with Rigid side shooting pods on the A pillars and a 10" Rigid light bar on my bumper. The two cubes actually put out more light than the bar but I love the combo:

IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Jeep JL is an enigma. Retro round headlight and square cornered body, and fancy modern infotainment. I think that's why we all love them and why all the modern light bars, light cubes, as well as old large round lights look right at home. Buy what pleases you, not me.

Me? I like the retro look of large round lights and lots of them. KCs for me please. But I am also a big fan of high quality and I think Baja Designs is a top contender, maybe the best.

Dethwalkin

First Name
Darryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I like both, bars and cubes.
Rigid E2 50" combo. Hyperspot/Driving.
Rigid D-SS pro Driving.
Rigid E-series Pro 10" Combo Spot/Driving.

cubes1.jpg9 (2).jpg

cubes1.jpg17 (2).jpg
Sponsored