LED headlights stay on

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
So I just went to lunch this afternoon and noticed my headlights were on when it was sunny outside. The knob was set to auto and when I went to turn the knob to the off position nothing happened. The lights stayed on no matter what mode I was in. Has anyone had this issue? I’m thinking maybe a relay is stuck but I haven’t looked into it yet.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Possible bad headlight switch.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So I just went to lunch this afternoon and noticed my headlights were on when it was sunny outside. The knob was set to auto and when I went to turn the knob to the off position nothing happened. The lights stayed on no matter what mode I was in. Has anyone had this issue? I’m thinking maybe a relay is stuck but I haven’t looked into it yet.
@my_0range_crush

On your dash top... just below the bottom of the windshield.... about say 6" to the right of the steering wheel, you will see a black, plastic colored, globe affair.... that is the sensor that senses if it is dark enough to auto turn on headlights, dim dash and such..

Are you keeping your gloves up there (over top of the sensor) to get warm? Do you have a ProClip that has slid over top of the sensor???

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
There's also that thing where the headlights stay on for x seconds after shutting the engine off to "light your way as you exit" or whatever. I seem to remember having to turn the headlights off then on then back off again after the engine was off to actually turn the headlights off... I disabled that function with Jscan so I don't have to do that anymore, but it could be that in combination with your light sensor not working right or being blocked.

It doesn't sound like it's your issue, but I think the Jeep turns the headlights on in "auto" when you use the wipers too... which is especially irritating when it's rainy and bright outside, as it dims the gauges when the headlights are on. You gotta wonder about those Jeep electronics engineers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
@my_0range_crush

On your dash top... just below the bottom of the windshield.... about say 6" to the right of the steering wheel, you will see a black, plastic colored, globe affair.... that is the sensor that senses if it is dark enough to auto turn on headlights, dim dash and such..

Are you keeping your gloves up there (over top of the sensor) to get warm? Do you have a ProClip that has slid over top of the sensor???
nothing is on the light sensor. I thought that was the issue but looked and nothing was there. But even if there was the light should have turned off when I turned the knob to the off position.

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
So I looked at it a little closer and it seems like it’s the switch. I noticed that the fog light button is depressed and won’t pop back. Hopefully the switch is kinda cheap.

5B448534-4E40-44D8-8524-CB53AEFB411B.jpeg

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
So I finally figured out what was wrong with the switch. Looks like a couple of the tabs on the back side of the housing broke off and wasn’t making proper contact. If anyone comes across this issue just superglue the housing back together and you’ll be fine.

A8AEC6F2-CCCA-4724-A057-15E56114A114.jpeg

717AD230-AF4E-40FB-B3D5-3AB526ADBE33.jpeg

0CE6845C-EA3C-42F9-AC19-97044C8F8743.jpeg

nbn707

First Name
Nithil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So I finally figured out what was wrong with the switch. Looks like a couple of the tabs on the back side of the housing broke off and wasn’t making proper contact. If anyone comes across this issue just superglue the housing back together and you’ll be fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED headlights stay on 0CE6845C-EA3C-42F9-AC19-97044C8F8743

Hello,

thanks for the explanation. I am having similar issue on my 2021 High Altitude - the fog light button actually went in and somehow fell inside. I have a question about how you removed the Module.
I took the cover plate with pry trim remover tool. How did you get this out? (Picture below)
Thanks in advance.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED headlights stay on D3426C79-F44A-4018-B8B5-CCBEDF48813C

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Hello,

thanks for the explanation. I am having similar issue on my 2021 High Altitude - the fog light button actually went in and somehow fell inside. I have a question about how you removed the Module.
I took the cover plate with pry trim remover tool. How did you get this out? (Picture below)
Thanks in advance.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED headlights stay on D3426C79-F44A-4018-B8B5-CCBEDF48813C
There’s a couple of metal spring tabs holding it in place. I would grab some picks and depress them to remove it. It’s kinda tricky but you can get it out
Sponsored