LED Headlights (OEM)

Pilotjeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0 eTorque
Hi again, folks. I’ve got a question about the performance of the factory LED headlights.

I looked up Wranglers on the IIHS site, and their headlights were rated as Poor - for the 2017 model (the JK, I assume), which was the last year that they tested.

So my questions are —
- how would you rate the stock non-LED headlights on your JL?
- or, how would you rate the LED headlights on your JL with the LED headlight option?

(BTW, thanks again for the answers on my previous question thread.)
Sponsored

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
Stock Non LED sux, I replaced my bulbs with Beamtech 10K lumen and love them. I can't comment on the LED package as I don't have it, most seem pleased with them.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I have the LED package on my Jeep and have no complaints whatsoever. Some people have stated that they have ice and slush build up which hindered visibility during inclement weather. However I have never had that issue, or any issue with them for the matter and I live in the Chicagoland area where we see plenty of it. Guess it really depends on the conditions. The halogens aren’t going to be as good, or as cool looking, but I have read that people find them better than the JK halogen headlights. So I guess either way you go it’s better than the JKs were. Although the LEDs that we’re offered on the JKs the last like 2 years of production were pretty good too.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My '15 JK had the standard halogens and they absolutely sucked.

A friend has a JL with factory halogens and his lights are a lot better then the halogens I had on my JK.

I own a '19 JLR with the optional LEDs and they are a LOT better then my friend's JL with halogens. The JL LEDs are not just better visibility wise then the JL halogens. They are better then all of my other past and present vehicles. Even the ones with fancy headlights. The JL LEDs are the best headlights I have had on any vehicle. The lighting is great. I highly recommend the factory LED headlights if you are considering them.

There is one caveat. I have not had my JL in snow yet. There are some owners reporting ice and snow build up on the LEDs. There is another thread on this. In that thread someone took a pretty good set of pictures showing the visibility with the LEDs covered in snow and another picture not covered. To be honest the snow covered JL LED looked brighter then my JK halogens when they were clean. lol!

Attached is a link to that thread so you can read and see for yourself.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/led-headlights-and-wipers-in-snow.3865/

Sponsored

Sherifftruman

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUS
We had a JK and the lights sucked. I installed Quadratec lights in it a couple of years ago which made a huge difference. We just got a JL with the LED package and I’d say they are as good or better.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The stock factory JL lights are great. They are much improved over the stock JK's lights. The LEDs are super nice, but completely unnecessary in my opinion.

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
JL LED's are definitely worth every penny!
I thought my wife's BMW had the best HID system until I drove mine at night (I do like her self leveling and steerable capabilities).
I would suggest putting Lamix protective film on to protect against cracks...

Topless front.jpg

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Absolutely zero question to me, the OEM LEDs are great. Out in the country they really light up well and far ahead to trap extra deer for roadkill supper. I guess it gives me enough warning to avoid them when they're not jumping out of trees. These light up the road as well as the high beams on my 12 passenger van. I've heard some complaints about alignment and having other driver's flash you thinking your high beams are on, but I haven't had that at all.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Very happy with the LED lights! 2019 Moab They look great and work very well, plenty bright

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The stock factory JL lights are great. They are much improved over the stock JK's lights. The LEDs are super nice, but completely unnecessary in my opinion.
Yes this halogens are sooo much better than the stock JKs :like:

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
LOVE the LED's on the JL. Only people that complain about them are the people in front of me.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yes this halogens are sooo much better than the stock JKs :like:
The JL halogens are definitely much better then the JK halogens. My old TJ halogens were even worse. I can't believe how bad they were compared to newer lighting technology. I mean it was like having no lights on at all sometimes. lol.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Out other vehicle is a 2017 Ridgeline with the LED light package. It's the only truck raged GOOD by the IIHS... out of every other 2017 truck most were rated POOR with a handful of MARGINAL. I think one other truck gained an ACCEPTABLE rating.

In comparison our JLUR with LED's perform nearly as well as the Ridgeline. Just make sure they aren't aimed too high as there are many posts about the poor aim from the factory.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The JL halogens are definitely much better then the JK halogens. My old TJ halogens were even worse. I can't believe how bad they were compared to newer lighting technology. I mean it was like having no lights on at all sometimes. lol.
Lol yeah no kidding those TJ lights were brutal :facepalm:
Sponsored