LED Headlights and Wipers in snow?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
So how are these expensive quake headlights doing? I don't think I have read anything on them yet. Or any after market LED for that matter?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Had a TJ and 15' JK. Both had halogens. Was almost like driving without lights on when the lenses were dirty. Hell, they did not even have to be too dirty, just a little dusty. lol. At auto shows, Jeep had a display / comparison of the stock halogen and LED. Both headlights mounted in a display with buttons you pressed to light each up. Everything about the LED is a welcomed improvement. Everything except the price. lol.
Haha yeah my TJ was probably worse than my husband's JK! But living in the country, I just learned to throw on a light bar! At least I could see the deer before they climbed into the Jeep!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
We get snow about twice a year. On those times, I’m most likely staying at home after dark, so it’s not an issue for me.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did freeze over, but they still put out as much light as my incandescent 55w Black Magic lights I installed for just such an occasion. They also still put out more light when frozen over than the OEM headlights on my 08 JK, which were the worst I've ever had. (I replaced them with Truck Lites, which have frozen over once, too, but much worse.)

So, while I don't like it, I'm not going to call them a major safety hazard, at least in the conditions I experienced. They were still putting out enough light to be safely usable, just not nearly so much as they do when clear.

I do think Jeep should have somehow routed heat from the heat sink on the back of the light to the lense. I'm sure it is possible to do that. I spoke to Baja Designs, who makes the LP9 and LP6 super-bright off-road lights, asking if they are warm enough not to freeze over. They said they generate plenty of heat and won't do that. The LP6 driving combo is probably my next set of lights and they will replace the Hella Black Magics, which I will probably move over to the JK.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did freeze over, but they still put out as much light as my incandescent 55w Black Magic lights I installed for just such an occasion. They also still put out more light when frozen over than the OEM headlights on my 08 JK, which were the worst I've ever had. (I replaced them with Truck Lites, which have frozen over once, too, but much worse.)

So, while I don't like it, I'm not going to call them a major safety hazard, at least in the conditions I experienced. They were still putting out enough light to be safely usable, just not nearly so much as they do when clear.

I do think Jeep should have somehow routed heat from the heat sink on the back of the light to the lense. I'm sure it is possible to do that. I spoke to Baja Designs, who makes the LP9 and LP6 super-bright off-road lights, asking if they are warm enough not to freeze over. They said they generate plenty of heat and won't do that. The LP6 driving combo is probably my next set of lights and they will replace the Hella Black Magics, which I will probably move over to the JK.
I agree, even dusted over with minor snow they are better than the lights on my JK. More importantly I find that I have more of an issue with road debris and grime coating the lights than I do with snow accumulation, and yes, we get snow here in WI and I have driven in plenty of it.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
With the auxillary switches, it probably would't be hard to come up with a spraying system for the headlights. I'm not sure if the polymer lense cover would hold up well to windshield washer fluid, though. You could even coil the sprayer hose a couple times around a radiator hose and heat the fluid to immediately melt the buildup. Hmm. Maybe this would be a good kit for the aftermarket, or a great Jeep hack?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
It may not be an issue in the land of flat, straight roads... but here in PA if you pull over on a rural road in the middle of a storm you will most likely get hit. Most of our roads are steep, twisty and 2 lane.

That being said, I don't blame the manufacturer. LED lights are mostly all the same-- I knew what I was signing up for when I placed my order.
I pull off at the next exit usually, not on the shoulder.

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
With the auxillary switches, it probably would't be hard to come up with a spraying system for the headlights. I'm not sure if the polymer lense cover would hold up well to windshield washer fluid, though. You could even coil the sprayer hose a couple times around a radiator hose and heat the fluid to immediately melt the buildup. Hmm. Maybe this would be a good kit for the aftermarket, or a great Jeep hack?
I'm okay with something hooked up to the AUX switches to melt the snow. I don't know how I feel about washer fluid spraying. I doubt that would help as much as I'd like it to.

But maybe attaching defroster wires like the back window has could work well.
I wonder if something like this would work: https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-02.htm

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Haha yeah my TJ was probably worse than my husband's JK! But living in the country, I just learned to throw on a light bar! At least I could see the deer before they climbed into the Jeep!
I see you are in OH. I have friends in Zainsville about a hour east of Columbus. Pretty dark there on some country roads for sure. Talk about deer climbing into vehicles. My friend had a large deer jump into his driver side window while driving. My friend was pretty bruised and cut up. His pick up was damaged pretty good too. This was a case of a deer hitting a car, not a car hitting a deer. It was like a Farmers Insurance ad.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Same here in WV. I wouldn't dare pull over on a side road. You may get mauled over by a gas pipeline tanker truck since they think they own the roads here in WV.

Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
And do your fog lights do the same? I have not heard any one complain about them yet. So why aren't you guys driving with the fog lights on also?
The fog lights do not melt snow based on my experience. The Jeep is garaged, so this is just from driving around for half an hour as the snow was falling.

2DFB089C-4FF4-4E1B-992B-6198FE897FA1.jpeg

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The biggest problem is the two giant scoops on the front of the Jeep. I would think someone could make a snap in cover out of something clear or lightly tinted that would take care of it. Just pop them in when needed.

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
The fog lights do not melt snow based on my experience. The Jeep is garaged, so this is just from driving around for half an hour as the snow was falling.

2DFB089C-4FF4-4E1B-992B-6198FE897FA1.jpeg
Mine looked similar this morning heading up to Mt. Hood for some skiing. The fogs were completely caked in ice once we got there and the headlights were about half frozen. Fortunately it was dawn so it wasn’t really dark, but if it was evening I definitely wouldn’t want to be stopping to try and clear them every 15 mins. Besides that, the ice was rock hard so there’s no way I could have cleared it anyway.

This is my first vehicle with LED lighting, so I may have to do something. I do have to say it’s a bit disappointing Jeep didn’t address this on a $55k vehicle with heated everything else, including the scorched ass seat heaters. Maybe I can reroute some of that extra seat heat to the lights. :CWL:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm okay with something hooked up to the AUX switches to melt the snow. I don't know how I feel about washer fluid spraying. I doubt that would help as much as I'd like it to.

But maybe attaching defroster wires like the back window has could work well.
I wonder if something like this would work: https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-02.htm
In Europe when cars came out with HID headlights they were required to put on a washer spray for the headlight or a wiper. Wiper only worked for flat headlights. My Audi had the spray and even had a rear red fog light that is required. Haven't seen what their law is for LED but as rigid as they are there I'm guessing similar. Wouldn't it be funny if Jeep puts heated LED headlights in Jeeps that go to Europe?