Sponsored

LED Headlights and Wipers in snow?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Yep you're right. Didn't do my research. I guess some after market LED's I had before were heated so I assumed Jeep would have done the same with their OEM. And especially when I've read in this thread that people claimed the lights were heated.

And to add, no, not 'everybody' knows. Don't have to be an ass.
Oh trust me, there are alot of know-it-all asses on here. They stick out like a sore thumb :LOL:
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with LED headlights in snow is not unique to the JL, there are similar threads for nearly every vehicle that offers LED lights. The JL design might exacerbate the issue with the recessed headlight, but certainly would not consider it a mfgr defect. On the other hand, we have heated rear view mirrors, why not heated headlights... would seem like a reasonable request to me. While I haven't experienced this problem yet, some of the most common recommendations are to coat the lens with non-stick cooking spray, WD-40, or coat with wax to help keep snow from sticking. Personally I will try the WD-40 treatment... that stuff darn near fixes everything!

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
And do your fog lights do the same? I have not heard any one complain about them yet. So why aren't you guys driving with the fog lights on also?
The fog lights cake up before the main lights. I don't have a picture of those though.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because my factory LED lights are definitely not heated nor do they generate enough heat to keep the snow from collecting... This was through Lassen during a snow storm last night and I had to stop like every 5 minutes to clear the lights because I couldn't see jack squat due to the collecting snow.

Snow collecting on the lights:
20190116_182113.jpg
20190116_182105.jpg

After scraping the snow out:
20190116_182137.jpg

Before and after, the pictures make it seem a lot more lit than it was. When I was moving, it was impossible to see more than maybe 6 feet in front of me. I also took these after making it past all of the snow and some of the collected snow had thinned out since it raining at this point, so it's much much more clear than what it was through the worst parts.
20190116_182033.jpg

20190116_182153.jpg

Has this been reported before, @JeepCares ?
LEDs bumped the benchmark. I think LED owners have higher expectations because they are so much brighter then halogen. No doubt the LEDs perform better when not covered with ice and snow. To be honest, the snow covered LEDs looks about as bright as regular halogens when they are clean. lol.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem with LED headlights in snow is not unique to the JL, there are similar threads for nearly every vehicle that offers LED lights. The JL design might exacerbate the issue with the recessed headlight, but certainly would not consider it a mfgr defect. On the other hand, we have heated rear view mirrors, why not heated headlights... would seem like a reasonable request to me. While I haven't experienced this problem yet, some of the most common recommendations are to coat the lens with non-stick cooking spray, WD-40, or coat with wax to help keep snow from sticking. Personally I will try the WD-40 treatment... that stuff darn near fixes everything!
I would not use cooking spray or WD-40 on plastic or plastic coated lenses. You might damage them. I would use Plexus. I have used it for 20 plus years and never had any issues. Plexus is specifically designed for plastic. I use it on paint protection films, lights, anything plastic. It is GREAT for cleaning the plastic windows of the soft tops, the anti static helps repel dust too. Motorcycle, watercraft, aviation stores usually carry Plexus.

https://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html
http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/auto.html

Last edited:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I would not use cooking spray or WD-40 on plastic or plastic coated lenses. You might damage them. I would use Plexus. Plexus is specifically designed for plastic. I use it on paint protection films, lights, anything plastic. Motorcycle, watercraft, aviation stores usually carry Plexus.
A good word of caution... but does this mean I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet??? :facepalm:

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Fuckin' A do y'all really try to find something to complain about.
Ok, so pull over and fix it.
Another ignorant asshole. You must be really proud of yourself for adding so much insight to this topic.

While the snow accumulation over headlights isn't necessarily a defect, I would certainly categorize it as an oversight or design flaw. Ignorant fools who don't have to deal with it on a daily basis won't understand, but for a ton of people who drive in this kind of weather for months out of the year, it poses a serious safety risk. No, pulling over on the side of the road every five minutes in a snow storm is absolutely not the solution to the problem.

Sure, there are circumstances where you're going to have your lights frozen over, but it shouldn't be happening under 'normal' snow driving conditions. That should be the exception. There are even heating elements for the rear window. Manufacturers certainly did not put those in when they first started making them. Consumers felt it was a safety issue not being able to see out of the back when it was cold out and it was brought up enough times that it was finally addressed.

The purpose of this isn't to 'complain.' It's to start a discussion for people who are affected by this flaw and a call for some sort of evaluation by the manufacturer to address it, or at least think about it.

I would consider myself a very educated person and pretty well-informed when it comes to the automotive world. This issue isn't something I thought of or read about until it was happening to me. So all the assholes who belittle those who weren't aware... Well that speaks more about the kind of person you are than us. Let's talk about a subject you're not familiar with but is obvious to me and see how you feel when I make you feel like an idiot about it because it's 'basic knowledge.'

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
LEDs bumped the benchmark. I think LED owners have higher expectations because they are so much brighter then halogen. No doubt the LEDs perform better when not covered with ice and snow. To be honest, the snow covered LEDs looks about as bright as regular halogens when they are clean. lol.
Lol that's very true. They look like my JL halogen bulbs. And if you ever had a JK, you'd know what crappy lights are!

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Another ignorant asshole. You must be really proud of yourself for adding so much insight to this topic.

While the snow accumulation over headlights isn't necessarily a defect, I would certainly categorize it as an oversight or design flaw. Ignorant fools who don't have to deal with it on a daily basis won't understand, but for a ton of people who drive in this kind of weather for months out of the year, it poses a serious safety risk. No, pulling over on the side of the road every five minutes in a snow storm is absolutely not the solution to the problem.

Sure, there are circumstances where you're going to have your lights frozen over, but it shouldn't be happening under 'normal' snow driving conditions. That should be the exception. There are even heating elements for the rear window. Manufacturers certainly did not put those in when they first started making them. Consumers felt it was a safety issue not being able to see out of the back when it was cold out and it was brought up enough times that it was finally addressed.

The purpose of this isn't to 'complain.' It's to start a discussion for people who are affected by this flaw and a call for some sort of evaluation by the manufacturer to address it, or at least think about it.

I would consider myself a very educated person and pretty well-informed when it comes to the automotive world. This issue isn't something I thought of or read about until it was happening to me. So all the assholes who belittle those who weren't aware... Well that speaks more about the kind of person you are than us. Let's talk about a subject you're not familiar with but is obvious to me and see how you feel when I make you feel like an idiot about it because it's 'basic knowledge.'
Well you're not very nice.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a good opportunity for a vendor to make clear headlight covers for LED equipped JLs.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Heat is the mortal enemy of LEDs. It quickly degrades their performance and results in premature failure.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol that's very true. They look like my JL halogen bulbs. And if you ever had a JK, you'd know what crappy lights are!
Had a TJ and 15' JK. Both had halogens. Was almost like driving without lights on when the lenses were dirty. Hell, they did not even have to be too dirty, just a little dusty. lol. At auto shows, Jeep had a display / comparison of the stock halogen and LED. Both headlights mounted in a display with buttons you pressed to light each up side by side. Everything about the LED is a welcomed improvement. Everything except the price. lol.
Sponsored