Sponsored

LED Headlight Option! Are they worth it? (Lab tests)

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hello,

At Diode Dynamics we are one of the only aftermarket lighting manufacturers that operates a goniometer in-house. This is a lab tool used to measure the beam pattern of automotive lighting. It's how you test for DOT compliance, and we can also take a full measurement of the beam pattern to see how much light shines to the road.

Here's a comparison of the low beam headlight options. This is a top-down view of the road, with the JL Wrangler parked on the left side. Overall, the LED has much more width, and more intensity, though the total distance you can see with these is not significantly different.

Questions and feedback welcome! Thanks for taking a look!

32234263_4493829025842_2122042061329793024_o.jpg

Photos of the OEM LED in the light tunnel, on the goniometer:

32191016_4493829345850_5457402041498337280_o.jpg

32169911_4493829425852_7240402644362067968_o.jpg
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Led over halogen definitely. No question. How much is it worth? I don’t know. HID is also very good. An aftermarket solution would be welcomed for the ones that didn’t get the oem.

Bickmt

First Name
Bick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2006 LX470, 1979 MG Midget, 2017 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
semi-retired
As we all know the oem JK’s lights were poor at best......

I ordered the LED’s and they are wonderful.....

Like many I have no way to measure by how much “wonderful” is.....

But it’s wonderful..... LOL

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Does this mean that you guys are closer to releasing the SL1 LED bulb? Are you going to use the above data to compare OEM LED to your SL1. That’s the comparison I’d like to see!!

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
The LEDs on the JL are spectacular... worth it, yes... honestly I’d pay even more, but I like oem and I love these lights

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Very happy with the led lights.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Does this mean that you guys are closer to releasing the SL1 LED bulb? Are you going to use the above data to compare OEM LED to your SL1. That’s the comparison I’d like to see!!
Our engineering team has been working on the design of the SL2 (dual-filament models) for quite some time now. We don't have any additional updates to provide at the moment, but will be keeping everyone informed with any new information available.

Thank you!
Nick C.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Our engineering team has been working on the design of the SL2 (dual-filament models) for quite some time now. We don't have any additional updates to provide at the moment, but will be keeping everyone informed with any new information available.

Thank you!
Nick C.
Um, LEDs don't employ filaments. They're diodes.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have the halogen and can see the rad fine but wish I had gotten LED’s so with that said who makes a direct replacement LED that has a halo ring ?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Um, LEDs don't employ filaments. They're diodes.
For "Dual-filament" bulb size applications, like H13, meaning integrated low + high on one bulb. That's what I was referring to.

I am well aware that LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) do not utilize filaments like traditional incandescent bulb models.

Thank you!
Nick C.

Sponsored

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
I have the halogen and can see the rad fine but wish I had gotten LED’s so with that said who makes a direct replacement LED that has a halo ring ?
No one yet. It'll take a while for aftermarket options to be released. Only thing available right now are LED bulbs.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
No one yet. It'll take a while for aftermarket options to be released. Only thing available right now are LED bulbs.
Thanks for the info, I had asked about the LED’s when I picked mine out and they did not have any on there lot that had them that were in my price range so I opted for the halogen and figured I could swap them out so looking forward to what aftermarket ones come out, kinda like the LED’s with a halo ring

Venosiar

First Name
Mark Manson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 2008
Occupation
Driver
I am running the truck lites 7" round headlights by Hikari https://10carbest.com/led-headlights-bulbs I can vouch for them. They're 1000x better than the regular halogens. In addition, they have a flat cut off angle so you don't blind oncoming traffic. I had stock HIDs on a brz I used to have. So once I got the truck lites on my first gen, they were just as good as the HIDs from the newer car.I like to watch cognitive videos and reviews on youtube, leave one of them here, hope for somebody it will be useful.

Last edited:

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S

Thank you!
Nick C.
Nick - Any more updates on the SL2’s?
Also I was on your website today and say the HID conversion bulbs. What’s your customer response on those and how they perform in the halogen housings?
Sam
Sponsored