LED Headlight Fail - Winter Driving

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Was up in Denver yesterday and headed back home in the evening during the snow storm. Had white out conditions most of the way out of Denver heading south to the Springs.

Visibility was pretty crappy but made even worse by the headlights getting frozen over. Couldn’t stop to clean them either as there weren’t many safe places to stop. This is ridiculous.

62A04D98-2D6F-4E7E-B721-37508158024C.jpeg

CFB3DE6C-7718-47F3-A7D1-0DEF94EE2A5B.jpeg

BC0CC43D-007B-45B1-AA5B-E4677D7BC0FE.jpeg
Sponsored

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
yeah, LED's don't generate anywhere near as much heat as halogens. Combine that with the recessed headlights where snow can accumulate, and it can make for a less then ideal situation.

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
For $50K and increasing every year, they should be able to figure this out.

I’ll say it doesn’t happen every time it snows, but given their marketing for the Wrangler as off-road and all-weather it would be nice if they added in LEDs with a heating element.

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Still safer and better to have than the POS halogens that Jeep will not move on from.
That’s so true. They are the worst. LEDs are so damn cheap right now they need to make them standard.

Well, I’ll be shopping around for driving lights that I can attach to the winch guard now that don’t freeze up. I’m sure the MOPAR version of their off-road lights which are LED are no better than the headlights.

if anyone has done this and has recommendations please let me know. Thx

Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That’s so true. They are the worst. LEDs are so damn cheap right now they need to make them standard.

Well, I’ll be shopping around for driving lights that I can attach to the winch guard now that don’t freeze up. I’m sure the MOPAR version of their off-road lights which are LED are no better than the headlights.

Your other option is to swap out your factory LED's to the JW Speaker 8700s, those are heated. You could also pick up a pair of Rigid/Truck Lite Heated LED's, those ones are slightly cheaper than the JWs. I ran a previous set of Truck Lites on my JK and those things are BRIGHT.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I put some inexpensive Hella 500 halogen aux lights on my winch hoop and wired them to come on with the factory (halogen) fogs, which aren't particularly useful for anything. I aimed them to illuminate the road between the factory fogs and low beams. Since they don't have a sharp cutoff, I figured pointing more downward would make them acceptable in limited visibility conditions with oncoming traffic. I haven't had an opportunity to try out this setup in heavy snow, but they work great in heavy fog, where my LED headlight bulbs are blinding.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight Fail - Winter Driving IMG_20200806_111100-01

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I put some inexpensive Hella 500 halogen aux lights on my winch hoop and wired them to come on with the factory (halogen) fogs, which aren't particularly useful for anything. I aimed them to illuminate the road between the factory fogs and low beams. Since they don't have a sharp cutoff, I figured pointing more downward would make them acceptable in limited visibility conditions with oncoming traffic. I haven't had an opportunity to try out this setup in heavy snow, but they work great in heavy fog, where my LED headlight bulbs are blinding.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight Fail - Winter Driving IMG_20200806_111100-01
I added Hellas to my Sahara's bumper as well. I've had my headlights and fog lights blocked by snow a few times. The addition of the Hellas was definitely helpful in the snow and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Good visibility should not be an option, LEDs should be standard on all vehicles. That being said the JL LEDs icing over is nothing new. Jeep should have added heating elements to the lens to combat this. I'd imagine we see that at some point. I'd prob be more annoyed if my JL was my DD and saw much snow.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

The Mopar offroad LEDs get hot enough to melt the plastic covers in a few minutes. But don't dare run them anywhere but offroad.

Sponsored

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Your other option is to swap out your factory LED's to the JW Speaker 8700s, those are heated. You could also pick up a pair of Rigid/Truck Lite Heated LED's, those ones are slightly cheaper than the JWs. I ran a previous set of Truck Lites on my JK and those things are BRIGHT.
I am sure Trucklite has improved their lights since I bought mine on my JK about 6 years ago, but I did find the light a bit more patchy then the JL's leds. However I live in a rainy climate and don't see the snow as often as I used to.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I added my old fashion KC for this reason.
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight Fail - Winter Driving JEEP

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
The Mopar offroad LEDs get hot enough to melt the plastic covers in a few minutes. But don't dare run them anywhere but offroad.
So, the Mopar LEDs (5" or 7") that you mount to your bumper or A-pillar get hot enough to melt the plastic covers...that's interesting.
Sponsored