Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
They are smart, alarm will
Sound off if you open the hood.
My 19 JLUR didn't sound an alarm when opening the hood with everything locked up. It does now because a hood opening alarm is a feature of the Tazer.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One would think that Jeep got shaken enough that alarm would/should have gone off...
But that is terrible for someone to do that...
The factory alarm is just an anti theft system. The alarm will only sound if a door is opened without the fob present. Someone could break a window and nothing will sound off until the door is opened or the ignition button is pressed. The alarm only helps prevent the whole vehicle from being stolen. Even then, if someone wanted the whole vehicle, they could break a window, climb through, enable the park lock override, and flat bed the vehicle away.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Boy, my '20's hood when opened doesn't set off the alarm, and there is no motion sensor on my '20 either. Those would be aftermarket options, wouldn't they?
I'm going with a blackvue 2 channel dash cam. Sleep mode with motion detection and 4k resolution that beams to my phone. If the motion sensor light doesn't detract a scumbag, I'll at least have indisputable evidence to hopefully nail the dick licker to the wall.

Unfortunately, booby trapping is highly illegal in my neck of the woods. Otherwise, it would be much easier and cheaper to maim someone that even touches my baby.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
what a dumb@$$. not in stealing the lights, but wasting and struggling in getting them.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I might me safe..... We do get speeders occasionally. Thief is hated more in prison than a pedophile.

upload_2019-11-17_9-15-28.png

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Haven't looked in that area where the side of the grill meets the fender, but it may be much simpler to steal the lights that way :(
To open the hood and remove them from the top takes time from my memory when I changed mine out but ???

Hard to prevent determined asshats from doing bad things, I just hope I'm not in the wrong place at the wrong time, and wish us all well in that regard!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Somehow I doubt that..
I worked in Prison for almost 30 years. Everything from minimum security to Super Max and was a Shift commander for 20 years. What I say is true. Sex offenders in general are very quiet and stay to themselves. When you are a convict and work in prison and make .72 cents a day and someone steals your food or TV, that's what starts fights, and get people stabbed.

The last prison I worked at 60% of the population was sex offenders. They would sit on the yard and talk to each other about their crimes like it was no big deal. Prison is not like the movies where Bubba is going to be their bunkie. There are not enough Bubbas to make that happen and Sex offenders and still men and still fight like men.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in both L.A. and Vancouver: had by far a lot more things broken into and stolen in Vancouver than in L.A.

Either way, it sucks to have one’s Jeep vandalized like that to get to the LEDs.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Rubi has Hood locks already and I am going to make a headlight bracket that attaches to the headlight bolts to bolt to the frame or some crossmember that goes across the back side of grill as to prevent the grill sides from being pried open.
Change OEM bolts to some other head design and/or double a nut on the back of the OEM headlights bolts.
Etched in my VIN on each LED headlight assembly in case of theft.

maybe this will slow them down and move on...

A grill is easy to replace and any additional damage can be fixed with insurance.

My sport has halogens and replaced with the best LED bulbs I have ever owned.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZDLKT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and look as good as OEM LEDS.

Or just add a slim "tile" device hidden in each lamp and track from my phone instantly.
Security bolts, etching your vin and mounting mini gps trackers on your headlights is way overkill and a bit schizo.

By the time a thieve figures out he cant steal your lights your entire grille will be ripped apart and possibly the lights will be damaged. Will be a loss either way.

That's why you have insurance.

Just leave as is, take a chill pill dude

Sponsored

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Security bolts, etching your vin and mounting mini gps trackers on your headlights is way overkill and a bit schizo.

By the time a thieve figures out he cant steal your lights your entire grille will be ripped apart and possibly the lights will be damaged. Will be a loss either way.

That's why you have insurance.

Just leave as is, take a chill pill dude
Clark are you serious?

I was not in my post.

Glad you figured it out....

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
No it would not prevent this as you can see in the photo they pried from the sides which was pretty dumb. I guess they didn’t know how to open the hood..
Looks like they knew better than to open the hood. Many units will set the panic mode off if the hood or doors are opened without the key fob in the area.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Best thing to do is get a lower deductible and maybe get creative no booby traps just something to make the thief work harder. Like maybe getting some homeDepot steel cables and securing it to a steel frame. Most of the time even changing a bolt type not using the factory hex or what ever the led lights comes with can slow them down. Make a 2min job into a 30min job.

Screenshot_20191120-051120.jpg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't Tile a Bluetooth tracker? Not sure how you can track Tile if the thief leaves your property.
My understanding is that the tile will transmit over any phone running the tile app, not just your phone. Which to me still seems less than secure hoping that your stolen item is within 60-100 feet of someone running the tile app. Especially since I don't know 1 person using it. :)
Sponsored