Sponsored

LED headlamp in snow: has anyone wished or tried to switch to Halogen Headlamps?

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Quadratech sells LED lights that have heating elements in them that kick on below a certain temperature.
Sponsored

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Are your halogens recessed? If so, that would provide an apples to apples comparison.
Nope, they are flat-faced halogens, to further deter snow and ice accumulation. I'm sure a recessed LED design catches more snow, but I'm also sure having a little heat makes a difference. Just my .02

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, they are flat-faced halogens, to further deter snow and ice accumulation. I'm sure a recessed LED design catches more snow, but I'm also sure having a little heat makes a difference. Just my .02
A recessed halogen will also collect snow.

I have 4 LED Baja Designs Squadron Pros on my a-pillar, and they collected zero snow. They are not recessed, and I didn't even have them turned on.

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

I have 4 LED Baja Designs Squadron Pros on my a-pillar, and they collected zero snow. They are not recessed, and I didn't even have them turned on.
Cool, glad you found something that works for you. I'd like to see a heated LED that works well in severe winter conditions. Until then, I'll always run a hot lens up front somewhere. 🔥❄💧

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

I have a set of pros in my fog positions on a Rock Hard bumper. I think they get hot enough to melt snow.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Drove the UP last year in January for a week. I had ice accumulating all over the front end except for my headlights. Plain old halogens. The ice may have covered the outer inch of diameter. I was warming the vehicle up stationary very well though and it seems the lights had just enough heat to prevent more buildup than what I mentioned. I’ve considered going up one brightness level with a Phillips bulb (not Sylvania) as they are rated higher hours than the equivalent Sylvania. Burning brighter and a bit hotter should help more.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds like a few things can help prevent accumulation.

The easy ones are some kind of anti-stick coating. While WD-40, Rain-X and other chemicals might work, I'd worry about the long term affect on the plastic lens of your expensive headlights. I'd try a pure carnuba wax first.

For the guys that want to spend some $$, I suppose going to a HID headlight would be the most heated, or directly to a heated lens like the Trucklite or JW Speaker headlights. But there are a lot of auxilliary snowplow lights with heated lenses out there too. Some of the better ones have low and high beam and are FSS compliant for legal highway use as headlights.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Because she served you a burger...
I've read about headlights like that. I hear they are internally heated and very hot. But I have no first hand experience.