LED fog lamp flicker

lithe1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Firecracker Red
I had this problem when I replaced my halogen fog lights with LED fog lights taken off of a steel bumper. I used the exact Xprite flicker canceler device you have linked from Amazon. The connectors won’t be the right ones so I had to splice it with my factory wires and everything worked after that.

The only things I would keep note of are that the device housing is not completely sealed (so I wrapped it tightly with electrical tape), and, as for the wiring, I used these solder seal wire connectors (http://a.co/d/ebSEIIu) to make sure that the spliced wires would remain sealed and wouldn’t come apart.

I did this a few months ago, and everything is still working and flicker-free. The Tazer or Flashcal may work also, but this is a lot cheaper than going that route.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had this problem when I replaced my halogen fog lights with LED fog lights taken off of a steel bumper. I used the exact Xprite flicker canceler device you have linked from Amazon. The connectors won’t be the right ones so I had to splice it with my factory wires and everything worked after that.

The only things I would keep note of are that the device housing is not completely sealed (so I wrapped it tightly with electrical tape), and, as for the wiring, I used these solder seal wire connectors (http://a.co/d/ebSEIIu) to make sure that the spliced wires would remain sealed and wouldn’t come apart.

I did this a few months ago, and everything is still working and flicker-free. The Tazer or Flashcal may work also, but this is a lot cheaper than going that route.
Well today i installed LED Bulbs into my halogen lamps.....NO FLICKER for either the headlight or the LED fogs, that flickered since the install!

I will confirm tonight. But we think having the LED bulbs installed in my stock haolgen lamps have done the trick. Now there's no difference in the electric current being sent to headlights and fogs (since both are LED) as opposed to before when headlights were running halogen and fogs were LED.

I hope this is a fix. We tested it at the shop but i couldnt test as i was driving home. Will do that tonight hopefully!

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

And thanks for the details!!! If my headlight bulbs havent fixed my fog led flicker prob, I'll definitely look into this. :)

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
And thanks for the details!!! If my headlight bulbs havent fixed my fog led flicker prob, I'll definitely look into this. :)
Which bulbs did you go with? And does it match the fogs?

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Well today i installed LED Bulbs into my halogen lamps.....NO FLICKER for either the headlight or the LED fogs, that flickered since the install!

I will confirm tonight. But we think having the LED bulbs installed in my stock haolgen lamps have done the trick. Now there's no difference in the electric current being sent to headlights and fogs (since both are LED) as opposed to before when headlights were running halogen and fogs were LED.

I hope this is a fix. We tested it at the shop but i couldnt test as i was driving home. Will do that tonight hopefully!
Just got back...headlights are perfect, but fog flicker still exists altho it has lessened and not as prominent...

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

lithe1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Firecracker Red
The flickering might only be an issue with the LED fog lights and not with the LED bulb replacements that go into the halogen fog lights, so that might be why your LED bulbs don’t flicker.

For me, I was trying to use Jeep OEM LED foglights from the steel bumper.

But glad to hear it’s working for you now.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Im
The flickering might only be an issue with the LED fog lights and not with the LED bulb replacements that go into the halogen fog lights, so that might be why your LED bulbs don’t flicker.

For me, I was trying to use Jeep OEM LED foglights from the steel bumper.

But glad to hear it’s working for you now.
I'm in the same situation as you.

I replaced stock plastic bumper w/mopar rubicon steel bumper. Couldn't use my stock halogen fog lights w/rubi bumper. So bought MOPAR OEM fog light assemblies to install in the rubi bumper. Thats when I experienced the flicker with the LED Fogs while i still had halogen headlights bulbs.

After installing the LED Bulbs in my stock halogen headlight lamps, we tested the Jeep..driving and reversing and accelerating and not pressing the accelerator (this is normally when the flicker occurs). But right after the install there was no flicker.

However when i took it out a few min ago, i could see the fog light flicker again. Its wasnt as often as before and barely noticeable but it's there.

Probs will take ur advice and do the same rigging. Thank you AGAIN for the detailed description.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if going to say a factory Mopar LED headlamp would fix the issue but not sure it’s plug and play, I know the halo would not work unless flashed

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if going to say a factory Mopar LED headlamp would fix the issue but not sure it’s plug and play, I know the halo would not work unless flashed
Naww...the headlights aren't the problem. It's the fogs. They flickered before and after i got LED bulbs in the headlight lamp. It's dealing with the alternator I read.

I will probably work with @TTEChris to fix it, using @lithe1 's method or smtg close to it.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Naww...the headlights aren't the problem. It's the fogs. They flickered before and after i got LED bulbs in the headlight lamp. It's dealing with the alternator I read.

I will probably work with @TTEChris to fix it, using @lithe1 's method or smtg close to it.
I know when going to LED’s from Diide Dynamics they say that LED’s draw less power and resistance has to be added to the circuit, not sure but I think there LED fogs are plug and play, I have looked at there switchback DRL/turns and you have to have to get a resistor kit to avoid hyper flash

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I know when going to LED’s from Diide Dynamics they say that LED’s draw less power and resistance has to be added to the circuit, not sure but I think there LED fogs are plug and play, I have looked at there switchback DRL/turns and you have to have to get a resistor kit to avoid hyper flash
They are probably dropping the voltage down, I wonder if when the computer is told the lights are LED if it drops the voltage down to the lights. OTherwise I cant think of why there is a setting for LED or halogen lights.

And ya a full kit designed for high voltage would jsut drop it down for you no computer needed. I wonder if thats why mopar has delayed selling the factor LED head lights, they would either need 2 models or set the computer for you

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
They are probably dropping the voltage down, I wonder if when the computer is told the lights are LED if it drops the voltage down to the lights. OTherwise I cant think of why there is a setting for LED or halogen lights.

And ya a full kit designed for high voltage would jsut drop it down for you no computer needed. I wonder if thats why mopar has delayed selling the factor LED head lights, they would either need 2 models or set the computer for you
Hmm, sounds like maybe soemthing liek described here where your computer is mixed up:
https://www.vehicode.com/blog/what-s-warning-canceller-capacitor-and-why-some-cars-needs-it.html

So probably either reprogram the computer or try to get something to trick the computer
Sponsored