LED fog lamp flicker

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
I recently installed a rubicon steel bumper with LED fogs on my Sport S. The LED harness was a simple plug and play operation and everything appeared to be working as it should but lately I have noticed a little flicker from the LEDs. This only happens when I let off the throttle and only until the jeep stops. When it is idling I can’t see any flicker at all. Same for when I’m accelerating or giving it constant power.
Anyone else who has done this conversion noticing anything similar?
Sponsored

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
I recently installed a rubicon steel bumper with LED fogs on my Sport S. The LED harness was a simple plug and play operation and everything appeared to be working as it should but lately I have noticed a little flicker from the LEDs. This only happens when I let off the throttle and only until the jeep stops. When it is idling I can’t see any flicker at all. Same for when I’m accelerating or giving it constant power.
Anyone else who has done this conversion noticing anything similar?
Not to high Jack your thread but were you able to reuse the same harness from your non led?

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking of buying a steel bumper but it only comes with this harness.

8127C75D-9E1E-442A-BEAE-0ECC2F48394E.jpeg

OP
OP
Grindhouseknives

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Tpham
Yes the harness is the same. The LED fogs plugged right up no issues other than the slight and occasional flicker. It’s barely noticeable and I probably only noticed it because I was looking for it.

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Tpham
Yes the harness is the same. The LED fogs plugged right up no issues other than the slight and occasional flicker. It’s barely noticeable and I probably only noticed it because I was looking for it.
Awesome. I appreciate your reply! I found a rashed steel bumper with everything for 600$

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grindhouseknives

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome. I appreciate your reply! I found a rashed steel bumper with everything for 600$
Nice!! You’ll want LED headlights after seeing how bright and white the LEDs are compared to the halogen headlights!

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice!! You’ll want LED headlights after seeing how bright and white the LEDs are compared to the halogen headlights!
Just installed the steel bumper. Jesus the plastic bumper is a pain in the ass compared to the steel bumper. I have a few questions if you have some time!

BE34D5EB-DB51-40A1-AAB2-3707C47DF965.jpeg

OP
OP
Grindhouseknives

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just installed the steel bumper. Jesus the plastic bumper is a pain in the ass compared to the steel bumper. I have a few questions if you have some time!

Looks good!! Sorry I was in my shop building a new work bench and I just saw this. I’m happy to answer any questions you might still have.
Sam

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no worries, i hope it turned out awesome! whats your steel skid plate connected to besides the bottom of the bumper bolts? is there supposed to be a bracket with two bolts? and is the gap between the grill and bumper normal? or do i need the filler thing from the rubicon? i also have not had any flickering problems yet, but only time will tell.

OP
OP
Grindhouseknives

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no worries, i hope it turned out awesome! whats your steel skid plate connected to besides the bottom of the bumper bolts? is there supposed to be a bracket with two bolts? and is the gap between the grill and bumper normal? or do i need the filler thing from the rubicon? i also have not had any flickering problems yet, but only time will tell.
I didn’t get any bolts with mine. So I improvised. The bottom of the metal skid plate attached to the metal plate that sits behind and underneath the bumper. There are two holes that sort of aligned with the two holes on that plate so I enongated the holes in that think metal plate (not the skid plate) and used some C Clips with the nuts inside to on that thin plate then ran a bolt up through the skid into the C Clips. I hope that makes sense.
Yes you want that filler plastic piece from the Rubicon to fill that gap between the steel bumper and the grill. It gets tossed if you put a winch on. I used two of the plastic push pin pieces from my old bumper to attach the filler piece.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grindhouseknives

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
0FBEBF64-E8F0-4BEF-9DCD-4611A4776DDB.jpeg
@Tpham
Here’s the bench. It turned out pretty good. It’s roughly 37.5” tall x 24” wide by 13’ long with a sink built in. The top is doubled up 3/4” plywood.

OP
OP
Grindhouseknives

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
48DBB317-C0B3-4635-80A5-DA9391C1EEDB.jpeg

BE34D5EB-DB51-40A1-AAB2-3707C47DF965.jpeg
Ok after zooming in on your this pic, the thin metal piece that I am referring to is on the ground right next the driver side front tire. It’s black and has the, for lack of a better term, grooves pressed into it to make it more rigid.

OP
OP
Grindhouseknives

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you fix the flicker?
No I haven’t fixed it yet. It probably needs some sort of electrical device to smooth out the flow of electricity. The more I think about it, I believe that when I let off the throttle I’m getting maximum voltage out of the alternator. That higher voltage is causing the flicker. I may need a constant power supply to smooth this voltage fluctuations out.

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks awesome! Do you think it's ok to run it for now not attached to the frame but only to the bumper? The Rubicon owner will be giving me the bracket this weekend.
Sponsored