LED DRL install for JLU Sahara 2019

Kuzco83

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Purchased OEM DRL lights for my none LED JLU Sahara 2019. I’ve tested them by connecting it to the cord with the halogens connect to and know they work. I am however having huge trouble removing the halogen DRL. I remove the fender cover and remove some bolts and clips but then I have a cover towards the bottom of the light that’s supposed to be loose but refuses to come off. I’ve circled the part I’m having issues with in the picture. I’ve looked for install guide but can’t find it anywhere. Have looked at YouTube videos but they never show the part where you remove this piece. Does anyone in the forum know how to proceed?
Thanks!!

7573FF92-F38D-4E57-B3B7-E83402B3B2E1.jpeg
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
You are going to have to pull the bottom corner of the fender flare out from the body to flip that flap down to gain access to the screws holding the light in. Then you will likely have to remove the first plastic rivet in the flare to get the plastic brace out (the rivet at about 11 o'clock in your red circle), it will be visible after you flip that flap down.

HTH
Gregj

OP
OP
Kuzco83

Kuzco83

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
You are going to have to pull the bottom corner of the fender flare out from the body to flip that flap down to gain access to the screws holding the light in. Then you will likely have to remove the first plastic rivet in the flare to get the plastic brace out (the rivet at about 11 o'clock in your red circle), it will be visible after you flip that flap down.

HTH
Gregj
Hi Greg,

Thanks for that detailed response! So I need to remove one of the clips that holds the fender flare to the body in order to flip the flap down which will then give me access to the light and its screws. need to order some replacement clips for the flare then.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may not need replacement clips as I have had them just pop out without damage, if you can reach the back side of the clip you can squeeze it to release it, I don't remember if that is one you can reach. You will need to remove that one plastic rivet to remove the brace. Harbor Freight sells the rivet tool with an assortment of rivets that should have the one you need to replace after you are done.

Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to add, you need to remove the four bolts holding the flare on, they are accessible from the bottom, need a 10mm socket to get them out and two are hidden in the holes in the fender liner up front. With those out the flare is a lot looser and can be flexed more to flip the flap down.

Gregj

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kuzco83

Kuzco83

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Forgot to add, you need to remove the four bolts holding the flare on, they are accessible from the bottom, need a 10mm socket to get them out and two are hidden in the holes in the fender liner up front. With those out the flare is a lot looser and can be flexed more to flip the flap down.

Gregj
Yup found those bolts and removed them. Definitely gives better access. I’ll have to take a look at the clips and make sure I don’t break them. Thanks for all your help Greg! I’ll post back once I have time to attempt the install again lol

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Purchased OEM DRL lights for my none LED JLU Sahara 2019. I’ve tested them by connecting it to the cord with the halogens connect to and know they work. I am however having huge trouble removing the halogen DRL. I remove the fender cover and remove some bolts and clips but then I have a cover towards the bottom of the light that’s supposed to be loose but refuses to come off. I’ve circled the part I’m having issues with in the picture. I’ve looked for install guide but can’t find it anywhere. Have looked at YouTube videos but they never show the part where you remove this piece. Does anyone in the forum know how to proceed?
Thanks!!

7573FF92-F38D-4E57-B3B7-E83402B3B2E1.jpeg
When you have time, can you show the connectors to where they would plug in?
I thought halogens and LEDs use different harness.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you have time, can you show the connectors to where they would plug in?
I thought halogens and LEDs use different harness.
Sure, this is a Sport flare with the harness. It plugs into the body connector about at that location.
upload_2019-11-20_17-2-41.jpeg

This is the Sport wire harness out of the flare (the connector is disassembled)
upload_2019-11-20_17-4-25.jpeg

This is an led light assembly out of the flare. Note the extra wire

upload_2019-11-20_17-6-32.jpeg

HTH
Gregj

upload_2019-11-20_17-5-27.jpeg

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Sure, this is a Sport flare with the harness. It plugs into the body connector about at that location.
upload_2019-11-20_17-2-41.jpeg

This is the Sport wire harness out of the flare (the connector is disassembled)
upload_2019-11-20_17-4-25.jpeg

This is an led light assembly out of the flare. Note the extra wire

upload_2019-11-20_17-6-32.jpeg

HTH
Gregj

upload_2019-11-20_17-5-27.jpeg
Oh ok, so I guess I have to buy the LED assembly with the harness in tact. I've seen some labeled as "cut harness"

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a Sahara so you have all the wires you need in the plug you would just have to spice them together. A lot of them are cut because they are doing high-line flares.
Gregj

Sponsored

Alasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
You have a Sahara so you have all the wires you need in the plug you would just have to spice them together. A lot of them are cut because they are doing high-line flares.
Gregj
Hey bro
I have a Sahara jl and I been wanted to upgrade my drl with LEDs but i don’t know if I buy the OEM LEDs would work. I read your post about Sahara have all the wires on the plug and I just saw on eBay somebody selling a set fro $350 and they come with the harness but then again I don’t know if they are going to work

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey bro
I have a Sahara jl and I been wanted to upgrade my drl with LEDs but i don’t know if I buy the OEM LEDs would work. I read your post about Sahara have all the wires on the plug and I just saw on eBay somebody selling a set fro $350 and they come with the harness but then again I don’t know if they are going to work
$350 is not real bad, they can be found on the Member Marketplace here for less occasionally. They will plug in and work but you will get bulb out warnings.

Gregj

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Re: the anti-flicker, how do you properly install? It says hot on the outside of the box and I’m nervous just leaving it free-hanging inside the fender.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You may not need replacement clips as I have had them just pop out without damage, if you can reach the back side of the clip you can squeeze it to release it, I don't remember if that is one you can reach. You will need to remove that one plastic rivet to remove the brace. Harbor Freight sells the rivet tool with an assortment of rivets that should have the one you need to replace after you are done.

Gregj
old post but wondering do we have to drop the entire fender liner to get swap in new DRLs.

i have a JLUR with crap halogen lights. i have OEM LED takes offs with the complete wire harness. not sure how far up that wire connects though.

much thanks.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The connector is at about the fender vent area at the top of the flare. You can change them with the fender flare on or take them off. About the same either way. If you open the hood you can see the connector marked in red.
Jeep Wrangler JL LED DRL install for JLU Sahara 2019 417B40F7-C14C-484C-8CA9-168D2510B1D7

Gregj
Sponsored