Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
@ttepps Thanks for the info!

It appears that if I purchase some LED lights with a white strip on top and the orange strip on the bottom then wiring won't be a problem.

Then I guess I have to get a JScan to modify the DRL settings to Dedicated/Canada for it all to work.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ttepps

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
@JL MADDOG No, the aftermarket lights like the ones I bought do not come wired for DRL, you would still need to wire it yourself. The aftermarket lights are only wired for turn signal, park lamps, and side marker. They do not have the DRL wire. Which is the same as the stock halogen wiring.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Hi All: I have a 22 Sport S 2 Door with LED Headlamps & Fogs, black plastic fenders and standard turn signals/Marker lights.
I purchased, pained and installed set of body colored fender flares with LED turn signals from a 2018 Sahara. I did not modify any of the pins just plug and Play.Using Jscan, I was able to get the turn signals to work correctly (No Hyperflash or Bulb out warnings) The top white portion of the fender LED lights up dim when the headlights are on acting as a parking light. I cannot get it to act as a DRL when the headlights are off. I chose "dedicated" for DRL Lamp location and LED Dedicated DRL Present is Active What location do I need to use for DRL Canada? Europe? Optional? Below are screenshots of my J Scan settings @justjay619-702 can you compare your Jscan settings to mine since you have it working properly? Thank you Stephen

Hey man. I'm not using JSCAN. I'm using the Tazer Mini.
But on the Tazer, all I did was make sure DRL was turned on and chose Dedicated as the DRL lamp location. My DRL setting is set for USA.
We're using different things but it sounds like we have pretty similar settings set up. So I'm not sure why yours is acting different.

JeepMedic841

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Sport S
@JL MADDOG DRLs are required in many countries so all Jeeps have options to program on DRLs otherwise they would limit the countries they can actually sell the Wrangler. A DRL is a forward facing white or orange marker light. Jeeps without the LED turn signal that includes the dedicated white DRL strip can still have DRLs turned on using Jscan using different forward lights. The options to program on the DRLs include: Dedicated (which must be equipped with the dual led strip turn signals), high beam, low beam, fog light, or SRT light bar. In Canada, the Sports with the Halogen package have the DRLs set to high beam at a lower voltage to dim them. This means the main headlight acts as the DRL during the day when the Jeep is moving.

The dedicated DRL in the factory LED assembly is the park lamp and the DRL in one light. Each has a separate wire. Park lamps are on when the headlights are on and DRL is on when the lights are off but the Jeep is moving. Two circuits power the same white light at different times.

For the halogen turn signals that come with the Sport, the light assembly only has the park light. This is the dimmer orange light you see when the lights are on. Turn signal flashes brighter.

The DRL wire for the dedicated white strip is present in the fender connection on the Sport, but in your case it will not have a wire running from the fender connection to the light assembly. The aftermarket light assemblies I got also do not have this wire, therefore, the white strip only comes on when the headlights are on.

One could splice the DRL wire and park lamp wire together to get a similar effect to the stock LED assembly. I did not go this route because I am not sure how splicing the wires together will affect the BCM. I did not want to risk shorting something out or causing a bulb out error. I set my fog lights to DRL instead and the white strips in the new lights I bought are only on at night with the headlights.

Unfortunately there is no way to get your lights to act as DRL without doing some wiring to modify the light assembly harness and I am not sure if there are BCM problems in doing that.

Having said all this, I like the lights I got.
Is there a dead ended DRL feed in the Sport S to roughly the back of the tire area? I noticed the actual lamp plug does not have the 4th wire, but I’m assuming the body harness does so they don’t have to use different ones for different models?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Is there a dead ended DRL feed in the Sport S to roughly the back of the tire area? I noticed the actual lamp plug does not have the 4th wire, but I’m assuming the body harness does so they don’t have to use different ones for different models?
Yes, the DRL wire is present in the body harness. The flare connector connects to the body harness roughly mid point in the flare. It is pretty easy to find on the drivers side near the brake master cylinder.
Gregj

JeepMedic841

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Sport S
Thanks! I actually found it without pulling the fender well. Testing it now with my Tazer to see if it will activate

JeepMedic841

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Sport S
Yes, the DRL wire is present in the body harness. The flare connector connects to the body harness roughly mid point in the flare. It is pretty easy to find on the drivers side near the brake master cylinder.
Gregj
Using the Tazer and setting it to dedicated, that should activate it, correct?

Adeno101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have not got around to the wiring to make the white strip work as DRL and parking lights together. I'll provide an update when I make that change.

I did notice the other day that the new DRLs are not overly visible during the day. The turn signals are very bright. This may be that the new LEDs poor quality, but I was checking the setting in Jscan and noticed the following voltages in the Light Voltage Regulation Menu. Keep in mind that my Sport S came with full Halogen set up and has now been converted to full LED with all after market LEDs except for the headlights and fog lights; which are the Mopar LEDs.

My readings are:

Left/Right Front Corner Voltage - 13.6 Volts
Left/Right High Beam Voltage Regulation - 13.6 Volts
Left/Right Low Beam Voltage Regulation - 13.6 Volts
Left/Right Rear Corner Voltage - 12.8 Volts
Left/Right side DRL Voltage Target - 11.0 Volts

There seems to be no voltage settings available for any turn signals

I am going to bump up the voltage for the DRLs because 11.0 seems low. I know that halogen DRLs are set from the factory to use high beams at reduced voltage (I read 7 volts, but many that was wrong), but when I changed the location of the DRL, perhaps the voltage remains at a lower setting even though its now a dedicated LED.

Can anyone with Jscan who has a full LED set up from the factory give me their readings from the Voltage Regulation menu for all of the above? Assuming you've left them at the factory defaults.

Thank you in advance.

Travis
Hey did you ever find out what the proper voltages are or did it change the brightness when the location was switched to Canada? I’m having the same issue. Mine are super dim during the day and you can barely see them.
Sponsored