Sponsored

LED bulbs vs LED aftermarket headlights

HolyNite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I have a Sport S and looking at upgrading to LEDs. I'm seeing alot of bulb replacements people are doing and some doing a full headlight upgrade. Is one better then the other besides the price difference? Any benefit to the full headlight upgrade over just LED bulb replacements?
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If low price and putting out more light is the only criteria, aftermarket LED bulbs in the halogen housing is the answer. Putting a LED bulb in your halogen housing will result in a lot of stray light (glare) that oncoming drivers and drivers in front of you will get. But you'll see much better.

There is a lot of benefit to the full headlight upgrade. More control of the light so that other drivers aren't blinded by glare and run off the road or run into you.

OP
OP

HolyNite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
If low price and putting out more light is the only criteria, aftermarket LED bulbs in the halogen housing is the answer. Putting a LED bulb in your halogen housing will result in a lot of stray light (glare) that oncoming drivers and drivers in front of you will get. But you'll see much better.

There is a lot of benefit to the full headlight upgrade. More control of the light so that other drivers aren't blinded by glare and run off the road or run into you.

Thank you, I was unaware of the glare.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thank you, I was unaware of the glare.
I read an article recently about glare effects on people from OEM LED lights. The article said even properly adjusted OEM LED lights have negative effects on peoples vision when encountering oncoming LED equipped vehicles. I have noticed it myself. I may keep my halogen headlights and just add LED driving lights for when I am not where oncoming traffic is around.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I have a Sport S and looking at upgrading to LEDs. I'm seeing alot of bulb replacements people are doing and some doing a full headlight upgrade. Is one better then the other besides the price difference? Any benefit to the full headlight upgrade over just LED bulb replacements?
I have a Sport and did the LED bulb upgrade and then went to OEM LEDs - The bulbs are a compromise and were okay and a HUGE improvement over the halogen But there is definitely more usable light with the OEM. If money were no object, OEM is the way to go.

Another note, I live in an area where there are a LOT of deer so the light was important. If I never drove in the dark on two lane roads I don't think it would matter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HolyNite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I have a Sport and did the LED bulb upgrade and then went to OEM LEDs - The bulbs are a compromise and were okay and a HUGE improvement over the halogen But there is definitely more usable light with the OEM. If money were no object, OEM is the way to go.

Another note I live in an area where there are a LOT of deer so the light was important. If I never drove in the dark on two lane roads I don't think it would matter.

I am considering it, did you have any issues wiring up the oem LED? I'm hearing there's wires jeep sports don't have that the other packages have

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I am considering it, did you have any issues wiring up the oem LED? I'm hearing there's wires jeep sports don't have that the other packages have
You lose the Halo ring but it's pretty useless anyway - everything else is plug and play

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I put in beamtech LED bulbs in my halogen housings, haven't been flashed once since install.
$36 vs $900
Here is what I have noticed...head on there is no more glare than OEM LEDs, from left or right, still same, however, if the lights are above my eye lvl they are blinding, so if you are higher than stock you may blind people if you don't adjust them down, I have been behind police, and police have passed me head on, if they were a problem I am sure I would have been pulled over

if I ever feel like my money is burning a hole in my pocket I will get full LED swaps or Projectors.

Next time a tesla is coming at you, stare at the headlights, you will be blind as well as many other "OEM" LEDs.

Also, WTF are people staring at peoples headlights?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Here is what you should consider: LED is no more reliable then older technology headlamps, in fact may even less, however the light output (lumens per watt) is the clear advantage. As for glare more light = more glare regardless of aiming, aiming will only reduce the amount of glare.

New lamps vs new fixtures, well consider the potential maintenance cost and headaches:

New fixtures are usually sold in Pairs most not all), if one fails you may have to buy two to replace, then if one fails how long will it take to get a replacement and will that replacement still be available with same lumen output. Not if you are a ecology nut what happens to the failed LED fixture, they are not serviceable you throw it away and get a while new fixture which will cost considerable more than just a replacement lamp. That is all we need more non recyclable plastic in our land fills. If you have a head light fixture fail it could take some time to get a replacement especially if the one you bought only ships from China. Even is stocked in the US if out of stock waiting for shipments you could be SOL for weeks.

Replacement LED lamps, while not as performance based as LED headlight fixtures they are still a vast improvement, the upside is they are affordable (1/5th to 1/10th the cost of headlamp fixtures) if one fails you can get replacement at a local store of very fast online, the cost and expedience of maintenance makes far more sense since you should not drive with headlights out.

The brightest light is not always the best, and in this throw away world where electronics (including LED's) are changing very fast maintenance and option friendly choices should be consdered as a priority.

jasonatQuake

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
quakeled.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Occupation
Sales at Quake LED
I would do a full headlight replacement. It is the best way to go. We, here at Quake LED, make a direct replacement bolt in, JK and JL headlight. Please go to our website and check us out. www.quakeled.com

Sponsored

FERGOTTI

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2016 F150
I put in beamtech LED bulbs in my halogen housings, haven't been flashed once since install.
$36 vs $900
Here is what I have noticed...head on there is no more glare than OEM LEDs, from left or right, still same, however, if the lights are above my eye lvl they are blinding, so if you are higher than stock you may blind people if you don't adjust them down, I have been behind police, and police have passed me head on, if they were a problem I am sure I would have been pulled over

if I ever feel like my money is burning a hole in my pocket I will get full LED swaps or Projectors.

Next time a tesla is coming at you, stare at the headlights, you will be blind as well as many other "OEM" LEDs.

Also, WTF are people staring at peoples headlights?
I have the beamtech bulbs with the same results. Was amazed at the difference for only $40. Totally worth it and had them installed in 30min

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would do a full headlight replacement. It is the best way to go. We, here at Quake LED, make a direct replacement bolt in, JK and JL headlight. Please go to our website and check us out. www.quakeled.com
At $300 a piece with only a 1 year warranty that is crazy especially since we are essentially beta testers for a new product.

jasonatQuake

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
quakeled.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Occupation
Sales at Quake LED
At $300 a piece with only a 1 year warranty that is crazy especially since we are essentially beta testers for a new product.
We have tested this quite extensively. Since we are the direct manufacturer, we are able to test, retest and make perfect all of our products. We take care of our customers.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
We have tested this quite extensively. Since we are the direct manufacturer, we are able to test, retest and make perfect all of our products. We take care of our customers.
No after 1 year customer pays, your warranty says it all 1 year is un-heard of in the LED industry except for those that do not have confidence in their product. Look at your direct competitors in the higher end LED they are respectively 3-5 years warranty. Commercial LED lighting is 5 year minimum to 10 years. While yours are on Vehicles a shorter warranty is warranted but 1 year is insulting especially for your prices.

jasonatQuake

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
quakeled.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Occupation
Sales at Quake LED
No after 1 year customer pays, your warranty says it all 1 year is un-heard of in the LED industry except for those that do not have confidence in their product. Look at your direct competitors in the higher end LED they are respectively 3-5 years warranty. Commercial LED lighting is 5 year minimum to 10 years. While yours are on Vehicles a shorter warranty is warranted but 1 year is insulting especially for your prices.
We appreciate your input, Thank you!!
Sponsored