First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
so i've been looking off and on for a aux led fog (amber) light to be used on bad weather days on the street. i am aware of the sae and off road only lights, also aware that off road lights are not street legal. what i'm wondering is that if i keep the lumen numbers close to the street spec but lower numbers from the off road only numbers. for example the street lumen number is around 2400. and a off road lumen is 3000. that a 600 lumen difference. so my question is, if i ran a 3000 lumen amber fog lights mounted on the bumper and aim them down a little, it should help light up the road but not bother the other vehicles. i'm figuring that on a foggy or snowy drive the weather will "dim" the light a bit that the glare will not bother the traffic on the road. would that be a fair statement.

also is a flood, wide pattern light better than spot.

just on a side note. in my commute to / from work, everyone runs on high output led headlights, high beam, and or led light bars. even no lights at all. so, no one gives a shit. i'm on the other hand (and others) are being considerate. also i would only run them when there arent to many vehicle around.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Do what you want and turn them off when you see other drivers.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
so i've been looking off and on for a aux led fog (amber) light to be used on bad weather days on the street. i am aware of the sae and off road only lights, also aware that off road lights are not street legal. what i'm wondering is that if i keep the lumen numbers close to the street spec but lower numbers from the off road only numbers. for example the street lumen number is around 2400. and a off road lumen is 3000. that a 600 lumen difference. so my question is, if i ran a 3000 lumen amber fog lights mounted on the bumper and aim them down a little, it should help light up the road but not bother the other vehicles. i'm figuring that on a foggy or snowy drive the weather will "dim" the light a bit that the glare will not bother the traffic on the road. would that be a fair statement.

also is a flood, wide pattern light better than spot.

just on a side note. in my commute to / from work, everyone runs on high output led headlights, high beam, and or led light bars. even no lights at all. so, no one gives a shit. i'm on the other hand (and others) are being considerate. also i would only run them when there arent to many vehicle around.
You can have low lumens and still cause significant glare for other drivers. To reduce glare you need to select a product with optics designed to project in a manner (fog light pattern for example) which does not cause light to direct upwards into the vision of other drivers.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Do what you want and turn them off when you see other drivers.
yeah, pretty much what i would do with the a pillar lights. also i look for a set of lights with a cut off, which the amber fogs would have.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
...if i ran a 3000 lumen amber fog lights mounted on the bumper and aim them down a little, it should help light up the road but not bother the other vehicles. i'm figuring that on a foggy or snowy drive the weather will "dim" the light a bit that the glare will not bother the traffic on the road. would that be a fair statement.
From my experience, no. I tried that with a couple of KC HiLites 4" LZR lights mounted to my bumper. They're advertised to put out 2400 lumens in a spot pattern. Since they're a tighter spot-pattern versus a wider flood, I thought I could point them down a little and use them to replace the OEM foglamps I lost when I replaced my front bumper.

Nope, they are way too bright to use on the road with other drivers, unless you're aiming them down severely - enough to look funny. Even if you're in the next lane over, the light they output is blinding.

Sponsored

Jeepadoodle

First Name
Kerwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
What is the recommendation for bull bar mounted lights, flood or spot? I read spot is great for higher speeds, and flood for lower speed. Thinking I would want to light up the trails and doubt would be going fast. Already have the OEM LED headlights and they seem to cover distance well on high beam anyway.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Jeepney Johnny

yeah the spot doesnt do too well in the fog. a wide pattern would be better. like i mentioned i will only run them when there no vehicles on the road.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
What is the recommendation for bull bar mounted lights, flood or spot? I read spot is great for higher speeds, and flood for lower speed. Thinking I would want to light up the trails and doubt would be going fast. Already have the OEM LED headlights and they seem to cover distance well on high beam anyway.
flood would work better on the bullbar. like you said your're not going fast on the trail. the flood will light up the trail in a short but wide pattern. spot is more for distance.